Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

My Dog went blind today

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I think you'll see her again, ......., but I truly believe that dogs go to heaven too. They HAVE to. Where else could all that love and trust go to when they die? It can't just go away and fade into oblivion. We'll see them again.

You reminded me of a movie my wife goes bonkers for..... almost as if it had some peanutbutter attached to it or something

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dr...ome_%28film%29

She goes into some type of hypnotic trance when this movie is on T.V. We've only watched it about 400 times since it was released. you would think that it would have faded........ but NOoooooooooooo !!!!

Good movie, great graphics and cinematography. Great story line where you're re-united with your loved ones, including your pets. The Naked Cuba Gooding parts were a little more than I really wanted to envision about the hereafter, but I guess it had it's meaning in the movie...

T.

BTW,

It's really quite unfortunate that as humans we sometimes "forget" about kindness, compassion, and good will towards others.... until something pokes us in the side and says wake up... My dogs are happy 100% of the time, whether it's sleeping on the floor, sniffing my smelly boots, or rolling around in some memory of a dead animal that was buried in the grass. They make the most of every day, as we tend to forget to do...

It's life's way of saying...... you're too involved in your daily routine...
Old 01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
You reminded me of a movie my wife goes bonkers for..... almost as if it had some peanutbutter attached to it or something

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dr...ome_%28film%29
I had to read that article 3 times before I understood what the movie was about... imagine how many times I'd have to SEE it before it made sense. Maybe that's why your wife has seen it so many times!

It's really quite unfortunate that as humans we sometimes "forget" about kindness, compassion, and good will towards others.... until something pokes us in the side and says wake up... My dogs are happy 100% of the time, whether it's sleeping on the floor, sniffing my smelly boots, or rolling around in some memory of a dead animal that was buried in the grass. They make the most of every day, as we tend to forget to do...

It's life's way of saying...... you're too involved in your daily routine...
Wow! You are truly only one of about 2 people I know in this world that really 'gets it'.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 PM

It's about life...love... and experiencing the worst that can happen to some... death of those you love and care about.

The underlying theme of the movie is a man who loves gives up his chance in heaven to be with his wife, as it's his love for her that overrides everything else.

Conflict of dark and light, and up and downs we all must face, IMO.

The movie's scenes are really bright and colorful, or dark and dank, depending on the scene and either it's intended or subliminal meanings. Rent the movie, download, or whatever.... and you'll see what I mean.... Pay attention to the "colors of the scenes"..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztOiZl2ZHck

Wow! You are truly only one of about 2 people I know in this world that really 'gets it'.

I watch the dog wisperer, man.......what else do you want ????

Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM

chaikwa,

My Pooch.. "lady" went in for surgery this morning.

Just got a call from the Doc and he said she did really well, and so far all looks good. He said she's still pretty much under the anesthesia, but all went well. The anesthesia will wear off by later today / tonight. I was told by a friend who practices natural healing that Milk Thistle is really good for them after surgery. Apparently, dogs don't process the anesthesia very well, and it can cause liver issues. This kind of explains why and what it does., and how it promotes healing of the liver.

http://onlynaturalpetblog.com/2009/0...-milk-thistle/

I pick her up tomorrow morning, and she has about a week of "conehead" duty, but within about 48 hours or so her sight should start to return. They say it's "cloudy" for a couple of days, but they can still see. Total vision recall will be in about a week.

Looking forwards to getting her home. I guess I won't be able to call her "miss bump or winky" any longer...

T.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one "pack leader" to another, thanks for the good news.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Administrator

chaikwa,

My Pooch.. "lady" went in for surgery this morning.

Just got a call from the Doc and he said she did really well, and so far all looks good. He said she's still pretty much under the anesthesia, but all went well. The anesthesia will wear off by later today / tonight. I was told by a friend who practices natural healing that Milk Thistle is really good for them after surgery. Apparently, dogs don't process the anesthesia very well, and it can cause liver issues. This kind of explains why and what it does., and how it promotes healing of the liver.

http://onlynaturalpetblog.com/2009/0...-milk-thistle/

I pick her up tomorrow morning, and she has about a week of "conehead" duty, but within about 48 hours or so her sight should start to return. They say it's "cloudy" for a couple of days, but they can still see. Total vision recall will be in about a week.

Looking forwards to getting her home. I guess I won't be able to call her "miss bump or winky" any longer...

T.
This just made my day! Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope to hear more from you, telling us how she seems to like being able to see again!
Old 01-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Well, Lady is home.

Mike Tyson got the best of her, but she made it through

She walked through the vets office without hitting a single wall. I guess she's got sight again.... Comforting to know she's going to have that much better of a life.

She's home sleeping on her bed as per doctor's request. We have her separated in the kitchen, for now, to ensure her recovery goes uninterrupted. They shaved her head due to bacteria and sterilization process to keep the surgery free of bacteria. She was hungry, so I guess that means she's somewhat normal

Here's the first moment I saw her.... actually looking back @ me for the first time in the couple of weeks since this whole ordeal went down...

Doc was great. She has a little swelling in one eye, but it's considered somewhat normal. We have 6 boxes of drops to put in her eyes daily. After day 10 the cone comes off and she's a free dog !

Thanks for the interest and concern. Really happy she's home.

T.

Last edited by BC847; 01-27-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Embedded Video
Old 01-27-2012, 09:34 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

So happy for you and your furry kid NJT!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:03 PM
Administrator

What a cutie!

Glad she's home and doing well!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congratulations on getting your girl home safe and sound

I am still looking for a photo of Beaujack Son of Blackjack....I had him before the digital age arrived so nothing on a computer any where.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:50 PM

A momentous occasion.

The cone dog was released from her cone after 13 days of acting like a megaphone with a beagle in it. She went crazy happy and pranced out of the doctor's office like she was on parade..... sniffing hundreds of dogs pee on the way out.... She still has her "monkey head" hair cut, but that will eventually grow back.

She's amazingly happy, and so are myself and my wife. Worth every penny....you can see how bright the reflection is in her eyes, which are the light receptors in the back of her eyeballs. You couldn't see anything before the surgery. She must have spidey vision or something now....

Hopefully for both her and us, she stays healthy for a decade or more to come...

Thanks to those with big hearts and well wishes. Truly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails My Dog went blind today-buggy.jpg  
Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Administrator

What a cutie!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
What a cutie!
Do I hear an echo?

true dat
Old 02-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to say this is one of the best threads I've read on this site.
NJTman and Chaikwa, I think you guys just GOOD people, thanks.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bencie
I would like to say this is one of the best threads I've read on this site.
NJTman and Chaikwa, I think you guys just GOOD people, thanks.
Thanks Bencie, as you're being way too kind. Just doing what was needed to keep the wife sane, and me insane...

and the dog as annoying as possible.

Just wasn't the same watching her lie there just vegetating and unable to enjoy herself. When she went blind, she almost came to a stop when it came to being inquisitive and interested in anything other than food stuck in her face.

Now that her eyes are better than any beagle alive, she couldn't be happier.... and even more so of a HUGE pain in the A$$. We actually have to go out and buy her a muzzle, as now when we take her on walks, she finds every piece of gum, candy, or anything else edible and immediately inhales it. Xylitol based gum KILLS DOGS, and we just can't take the risk... besides how disgusting it is...

Now I know why Charles Shultz created Snoopy....!

Quick Reply: My Dog went blind today