Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Lazier bum breakroom 3/26 to4/1

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Lazier bum breakroom 3/26 to4/1

No one here. Didn't bother turning on the lights, didn't want to wake whoever was snoring behind the counter. Laid out some free McDee's breakfast coupons and reheated yesterdays coffee.
5° this AM, a storm headed our was should warm thing up to at least 40°. But it may also bring rain which is a bad thing this time of year for us.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Got one of the coupons for later.

Last evening, I heard lots of commotion coming up the road towards my place. It seems some fool down the road past my place thought it would be a good day to burn a pile of brush in his yard. 25-30 mph winds got the fire spread to the woods. The tanker crew staged in front of my place said they got it contained to only about 8 or 10 acres. 4 different companies showed up, mostly volunteers.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:09 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good afternoon bums, er I mean, ladies and gentlemen. Nother lovely day down here.

Does anybody know where I can buy momentary contact DTSP mini toggle switches? The ones that attach in a 1/4" hole. Not sure if this is even made. Lots of this kind of switch available, but cannot find any that are spring loaded to the off position. Rocker switches are too big for this application. Momentary contact toggle switches that are a bit physically larger are plentiful, but I cannot fit them in. Done a lot of searching on the 'net, but so far, nada.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:33 PM

There are all kinds of "center off" ones on Amazon. A SPDT that is not "center off" is a bit harder to locate. You can try Allied Electronics, Newark Electronics, Mouse, or Digikey.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by cougar
There are all kinds of "center off" ones on Amazon. A SPDT that is not "center off" is a bit harder to locate. You can try Allied Electronics, Newark Electronics, Mouse, or Digikey.

Thanks coug. Need the center off kind (on-off-on) but the trick is to find a mini switch that automatically goes to the off position once a finger is taken off the lever. Presently using a pair of regular SPDT mini switches, but that is dicey as they can be bumped to the on position. Will look at the sources that you mentioned.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:14 PM

Just in case anyone is wondering (or even cares) why I need those mini switches, here is a picture of the problem. Look at the gauges and you will see 4 switches. The two on the left (the red and white) need to be changed, but everything is extremely cramped behind there. Even those tiny switches could be just barely squeezed in. Wish I could figure out another solution.
Attached Thumbnails Lazier bum breakroom 3/26 to4/1-gauge-switches.jpg  
Old 03-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hmmmm, I posted at 1:32 today, but it is not here. That is a bummer. So, will try it again. No coffee, no ph00, no body here today. Soooo, scratched the back of the dragon, too late for ph00 or coffee, so didn't make any. Sooooo, hi everybody. Busy busy busy.

Stan, why do you need switches on these gauges. Why would you turn them off other than when you turn off the truck? I have most of those same gauges and I wired them in on an ignition hot line so they are on when the ignition is on. You don't want to have to be looking down there fiddling around trying to find a switch while driving. In fact, mine were on the pillar and dash where I could monitor them without looking away from the road. Just asking!!!

L8R
Old 03-27-2017, 06:18 PM

Bob, you presumed. Those switches have nothing to do with the gauges.

The two LH switches control the front and back airbags. The top RH switch controls the Valentine radar detector. (Officer, that detector is not working. Check it yourself) The bottom RH switch controls the front bumper mounted camera. The RH switches are just simple on-off SPST but the two LH switches need changing to SPDT spring back to off.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:32 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Stan, that's a nice setup. Where did you get the gauge pod for the gauge under the passenger vent?

Evening, all. Back to work today, first day back from leave. Lots of stuff to talk about, nothing major to report. I had a good three weeks off after the deployment, but back to the grind.

Hopefully all is well.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:50 PM

Hey, look what the cat dragged in! Welcome back. Thanks for the compliment.

The gauge on the right under the vent is a 2.25" diameter. I made the mount myself out of steel and welded some lugs on the back to pick up on the factory holes in the panel.

The gauge under the LH vent is a standard diameter and I just cut a hole in the plastic and fitted it in with it's switch underneath. That is the pressure gauge and switch for the compressors.

I also have an A pillar mount with two gauges in that. Seven extra gauges in total.
Old 03-28-2017, 06:25 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Bob, you presumed. Those switches have nothing to do with the gauges.
Man -- - - - I did it again. Just shut up, Bob - - you won't look stupid...............................Uhhhhmmmmm, on second thought..............

Coffee and ph00 are on. Heading out to spend the day with our daughter. She is still hurting, both emotionally and physically.

Old 03-28-2017, 06:54 AM

Good morning. Lately we have been experiencing summer temperatures every day. Hope that this does not mean that once summer arrives that the temps climb proportionately.

Bob, Sorry to hear about what your daughter is going through. It is rough. I know all about that type of situation. It could take up to 2 years for her to become "normal" and rejoin life.

Heading out soon to do some work at the orphanage.

Ciao.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 AM

The storm hit, wet heavy slippery snow. Lots of wrecks on the highway, I was late to work. What where they thinking?
Hey Stan, the "center off" switches are about 50/50 momentary. Here is one from Newark 7205SYZQE - C & K COMPONENTS - Toggle Switch, DPDT, Non Illuminated, (On)-Off-(On), 7000 Series, Panel, 5 A | Newark element14 . I have a few around here.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:32 PM

coug, thanks for the link. Right church, but wrong pew as all those switches are DPDT and I need a SPDT. If worst comes to the worst, will use a DPDT. Don't have time right now to go thru everything that you sent me, but will do so later. That link looks very promising.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
After eating the leftovers tucked under the shelf, I can say it's time to give them to the dragon. Charmin stock is going to see a bump upwards.........

To get even, I left some tuna salad in the fridge. It may have side effects........

Gotta go......

Quick Reply: Lazier bum breakroom 3/26 to4/1