Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Jist Gittin Warmed Up Breakroom 4/19 - 25

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Anybody heard from Top today?
Old 04-20-2015, 11:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good to hear Top's doing OK.
Thanks JWBM, Sherod, Mr Rubournosesinyourniceweather er I mean Mexstan.
Around here, 75 years ago there was a few tractors around, maybe a few trucks, most families farmed a quartersection with horses, and it took the whole (big) family to do it. And they were lucky if they grew enough that they could afford what they needed but couldn't grow.
50 years ago 100 hp was a big tractor. Pulling 3 or 4 plow bottoms, maybe a 4 row planter, most families who couldn't mechanize were moved out already. Most 1-room schools were closed or closing. Most kids went to school through 6th or 8th grade, then went to work.

Hayes County today has 1 school, and 2 paved roads, but you have to leave the county to get from one to the other without traveling on gravel. They just voted to co-op their sports programs with Maywood. I think they said they have 129 students K-12.

Today a big tractor is nearing 400 hp (Case and JD both have a row crop tractor at about 370 hp), a 12 row planter is about as small as you'll see. Planters are built up to 48 rows, I think maybe even 60. On 30 inch rows, that's 150 feet wide.

They talk about bringing jobs back to America. There's a lot of jobs that won't be coming back. Machinery will keep reducing the number of people needed.

And NEBRASKA IS NOT FLAT!!! It only looks that way. Especially if you don't leave I80. In this part of the state there's a lot of canyons, you just look over the top of them, without really being able to see much of them. I little bit north you get into the sandhills. The water table is high enough that every low spot has some water sitting in it. Great cattle country.

And the Oregon and Mormon Trails followed the Platte and North Platte rivers, on opposing sides, from around Grand Island into Wyoming. Ever heard of Scott's Bluffs? Chimney Rock? Frogshead Bluffs? Wildcat Hills? They are all in Nebraska. It wasn't til the mid 1900's that it was found that Panorama Point is the highest point in Nebraska, near the 3 corner with Wyoming and Colorado, at over 5429 feet. (That's higher than Denver, but not in both ways) Nebraska is also home to the country's largest planted forest.

See if the slide show works:

Last edited by NE frmhnd; 04-21-2015 at 12:13 AM. Reason: try a new link
Old 04-21-2015, 06:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
Good morning DTR'ers from P.... you know where. Coffee, ph00 and goodies awaits for the brave - or foolish.

NEFH, hmmmm is my nice weather making you touchy? Tried to open your slideshow, but all that happens is that wheel thingy goes around and around for ever.

Hit the road before sunup yesterday and was very busy all day. Got home tired, dirty and starving. Going to stay home today and continue my house maintenance. Sanding and varnishing wood around windows is not exactly my idea of fun.

Prayers for Top.

Shorts, hope that you are enjoying your weekend.

See yuh.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:11 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning DTR'ers from P.... you know where. Coffee, ph00 and goodies awaits for the brave - or foolish.
Ahh, my ph00 ..........................thanks Stan. Just getting back from the airport. Had to have the family up there at 5 to catch their plane back to Seattle. Fun having them around. Not often enough. OK, off to put the house back together from childproofing from a set of 2yo twins. More fun.

Hang tough, Lary.

Bob
Old 04-21-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Left work early yesterday after getting a call from a co-worker who has a trail=cam set on my place. Seems he was stuck and wanted to use my tractor. Ok, good plan until he tells me he got it stuck also. I managed to get the tractor out, but his truck is on a sidehill, frame deep, with a wet weather spring. I gave it a try, but tractor just spun and dug, to the point I had to use the bucket to curl myself out. More rain coming, looks like his truck is sitting until it dries a bit. No good place to anchor and use a comealong, but that's probably what it will take. Or, borrow a couple more tractors. Glad it's not me! His wife was a bit "miffed" about leaving work and coming to get him!.

Top, how ya doing?
Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sherod
Left work early yesterday after getting a call from a co-worker who has a trail=cam set on my place. Seems he was stuck and wanted to use my tractor. Ok, good plan until he tells me he got it stuck also. I managed to get the tractor out, but his truck is on a sidehill, frame deep, with a wet weather spring. I gave it a try, but tractor just spun and dug, to the point I had to use the bucket to curl myself out. More rain coming, looks like his truck is sitting until it dries a bit. No good place to anchor and use a comealong, but that's probably what it will take. Or, borrow a couple more tractors. Glad it's not me! His wife was a bit "miffed" about leaving work and coming to get him!.
When I first moved out to the country place where I'm living, I buried a 2 ton dump truck in the middle of my driveway deep enough so I couldn't open a door. Took a wrecker with a 12 ton winch, doubled, and a couple of 100' carry cables to reach it and be near enough to anchor to a big tree.

Turns out the driveway was just turn piked top soil. The soil type here is called "prairie muck".

Usually the best setup when you have your situation is to get something in there with a winch big enough to brute force it, and then dig down a big tractor in front of said wrecker for an anchor. After the main feature gets loose, you bucket the tractor out of it's hole, and if needed pull all the other units back to high road with it. Been there a few times, usually supplying the winch truck.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I received a few texts yesterday from Lary.
He was very tired, more settled and was hiding in the dark waving at his visitors.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I still can't get full access to this place ugbbbbb
Old 04-21-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Got chewed out by the Dr yesterday, then he put me through a bunch of tests. I'm loosing ground to the infection. Surgery is the 28th, if I make it that long. Jumping through the hoops at work lining up my ducks this week.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Sorry to hear Cougar I was hoping you could beat that without going under the knife. Been sitting here in bed with lots of crappy thoughts as I was told I can leave tomorrow if I poo.....sending Peggy for a candy bar as backup just in case!
Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Top, good luck with that! Cougar, Hang tough!

Well the DW and I got to work early this morning and got the truck pulled out. Had to air my tires down to 8 lbs to get enough traction. Do have lots if interesting "features" in my field now! DW has informed the young man that he gets to level and reseed to her satisfaction. Last I saw, he was happy to have is truck back and nodding yes real fast to my DW's wishes!

Thought I was going to have to chain my spinouts and use them for a winch. Got 'er done though!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM

Dangit Cougar, slow down and heal. Work will be there when you get back. In fact it'll be there if you don't get back.

Good job, sherod. Looks like you've been around the block a time or two.

Faxing a whole bag of prunes to Larry.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:03 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Been sitting here in bed with lots of crappy thoughts as I was told I can leave tomorrow if I poo.....sending Peggy for a candy bar as backup just in case!
Lary, give me the address of the hospital - - I will overnight you a garbage can full of poo. I have about 623 diapers in my two cans full of it from those twins. Man those things are heavy. Can't believe those two little critters can poo that much stuff. .....................................

Some idiot shot out the window in one of my commercial buildings last night. Very large and expensive one. This is the third one in the past two years. Better install cameras - - sly invisible ones. They do have those, right????? LOL. Cop says I am not the only one. GGGRRRR................

Just got home in time for supper and hit the sack early tonight. That 4am stuff gets old and running all day long. Tired tonight.

BeatPupBob
Old 04-21-2015, 06:55 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Sorry to hear Cougar I was hoping you could beat that without going under the knife. Been sitting here in bed with lots of crappy thoughts as I was told I can leave tomorrow if I poo.....sending Peggy for a candy bar as backup just in case!
Here I sit broken hearted, tried to POO but only farted.
I'd share my poo juice with you, but I'll need a clean pipe. Don't want to scare the nurses.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There's gotta be a full bed pan nearby.

Quick Reply: Jist Gittin Warmed Up Breakroom 4/19 - 25