Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Frozen land breakroom 1/8 - 14

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Frozen land breakroom 1/8 - 14

Yeh, I know - - it's a bit chilly out there and some are snowed in - - - BUT, time goes on and all will change..........sometime............somewhere..... ........
for whom??????? Suck it up and come get some fresh hot Ph00, or Dunkin Donuts coffee, or hot chocolate. Hot cross buns fresh out of the oven.

Gotta run, be good, go to church.

Bob
Old 01-08-2017, 08:51 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks Bob.
Mornin' folks.
Chilly on the Mid-Atlantic right coast.
White stuff everywhere.
Is it Spring yet?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:18 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Hey, who sent the cold stuff my way? Not fair. It's freezing here today and definitely not Paradise. A bit cloudy and only 48f so far. Brrrrrrrrrrrr. If this keeps up, may need to turn the A/C off in my truck for a few hours until it warms up a bit. A lot!
Love the smell of fresh hot cross buns, so will help myself to a couple Goes well with hot chocolate and a horrible day like today. Thanks Bob.

Bob, last week you said: Yep - - yep - - with ya now. We did this in Guatemala on an outbuilding while building a one story block church. Sure would not use it in Florida. Sand does not make a good ramming material, only good cement. LOL And, it is not impervious to moisture penetration, in fact must have some to preserve itself. It would get a lot of that down here and probably destroy it. Scary. By the time you build the wood forms, do the work and have to put up with the lack of versatility, probably better with adobe or concrete blocks. Mixture reminds me a bit of adobe.

Today it is easier to build due to a much modified version of reusable and sliding forms. New methods of sealing also make this a good choice for many places. The mixture is very much like adobe. It's still labor intensive, but the finished product is fantastic. Did you know that 20% of new houses in Australia are now built using rammed earth. In many parts of the US this method is now becoming quite popular.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Stan don't complain it was -3 15 now, wanta trade.

​​​​​​​
Old 01-08-2017, 10:38 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
-10° without the wind chill, ain't it wonderful.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by cougar
-10° without the wind chill, ain't it wonderful.
NO!

Anyone have AlGores phone number?

I want to give him an ear full............

Supposed to warm up today though, should finally see some double digit temperatures...........
Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

I was complaining about the unusually low temps for this part of the world, but after reading the horrible low temps that some of you are experiencing, will shut up. By the sounds of things, even with my "low" temps, I am in Paradise. This afternoon the clouds rolled away, the wind died down, all blue sky and a "low" temperature presently of 68f. Still cool, but will take it.

Pat, if you get thru to Al Gore, give him a double earful from all of us.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yall know al changed to to global climate change to cover the ups and downs and still be right. It doesnt matter if its up or down or within standard deviation, its change.

i dont mind the hot or the cold, but i hate going from 70 to 30 back to 60 in a week.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:33 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The thing I've noticed is the changes in weather are more extreme and much faster.
i encountered 70 mph plow winds this summer and rarely had encountered that before. Also more temperature swings, higher rainfall amounts.

It's All Gore's fault.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I can't figure out how the glaciers melted to form the Great Lakes that people today use to swim in during the summer months. It at one time held a glacier and now it's a summer hang out for people and doesn't freeze over in the winter, but yet we are surprised that the climate is changing.

Wake up people, the climate has been changing since the beginning of time. Al Gore should be in prison for all the BS he and his cronies started. They know so much about mother nature and all that happens with the weather but yet they just learned less than 3 years ago about the volcano below Antarctica. Really some experts their!!
Old 01-08-2017, 07:11 PM

Poor Al - - you guys are picking on him. Here is all bundled up in his mansion purchased from the proceeds of making people believe in climate change, and you guys don't believe him. Shame on you. ..................................................Oh, the head beating is on Gore beano. DUH

Down to 39 last night, potted plants from lanai came inside last night. Those orchids do not like the cold weather. Just learned it will be 40 tonight - - wow, heat spell. Soooooo, plants get another night inside. Soon they won't want to go back to their home and go hide in a closet or something.

Gotta go build me a rammed earth building out on the ranch. ............

nighty nite,.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:13 PM

OK, radical change of subject. Just watched a video that I thought may inspire some of you. Watch;

Old 01-09-2017, 04:37 AM

Good clip, Stan. Amazing what he has done with such a handicap.

Time to rise and shine, gang. Fresh coffee and ph00 four y00 - - on the counter. Still dark out, so can go get some work done before breakfast. Yeh.

Have a great one.........................
Old 01-09-2017, 04:59 AM

Good morning from a cool Paradise. Supposed to be warmer today than yesterday, but before the sun comes up it is quite cool. As I will be working outside first thing this morning, probably in a breeze, will wear long pants for a change, instead of my usual shorts. Almost never do that.

Thanks for the coffee. Heading out early this morning to the orphanage to modify an electric sliding gate from a gear and rack opening to a chain drive. Been forced to do this due the constant relative movement between the motor and the gate which always creates problems. The soil here is bad for this kind of thing unless quite deep piers are sunk into the ground. This was not done on the initial installation.

Ciao.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Heat wave it's above 20 down side going to have to work on my truck again at least it will be warmer.

What about that bunch a libs at the Golden Globes saying if we deported everyone all we would have Is the NFL and MMA for entertainment. I have a great idea put her in a cage with Ronda Rousey and that will be entertainment I would pay to see

Last edited by railroaderone; 01-09-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: sp

Quick Reply: Frozen land breakroom 1/8 - 14