Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

***BREAKROOM - 12/18 thru 12/24***

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 06:46 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning. Coffee and ph00 awaits your drinking pleasure. We need a new set of coffee mugs with a DTR logo in the breakroom.

Hope y'all north of me survive the yucky weather. Glad that I am down here and don't need to shovel that horrible white stuff, chip ice off the windscreen, clean salt off my vehicles, change tires, no worries about gelled fuel and sundry other stuff. In my truck have never waited for the wait to start light to go off, just jump in and turn the key and it always quickly starts the same way.

The orphanage that I do some work at has a few large industrial type mixers and blenders (1/2 & 3/4 hp motors) that the kids assigned to kitchen duty abuse and often break. These broken appliances end up with me to get repaired. Some of them require new seals and the local dealer wants an arm and two legs for each seal. Nothing special about these seals, so have been looking around for a generic seal. Discovered a small local seal supplier that if they do not have a seal in stock, will make me any seal that I want. Very handy and their prices are about a 1/4 what the dealer wants for what looks and works like the same thing. Picked up some new seals yesterday, so heading out to do work a couple of those this morning, plus other work.

Grabbing a coffee and hitting the road soon.

Ciao.
Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning. We need a new set of coffee mugs . . . in the breakroom.
Now what is it you are implying here, Mr. Stanley. Are the mugs that show up here to grab a cup are no longer satisfactory to you. We may not be gorgeous, but baby, we are mean looking. ..............

Been up since 4:30 wrapping up this kitchen. Dishwasher was a mess to install due to previous plumbing done and the change in the granite top. Took hours to get it right. Sure looks good - - the blonde was exuberant when she arose and came in. Had it mostly all cleaned up by then. Soooo, that little task is over (unless I happen to see a new river on the floor the first time that dishwasher runs). ....................

Gotta run. ...........................
Old 12-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
I'm here, the janitor's here, anyone know how Bark is doing? Did the shrews get him?
Wondering that myself, been too quiet on the Kenai. He fall off the planet or something? -2°. Whoever took the freezing fog, thanks.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Now what is it you are implying here, Mr. Stanley. Are the mugs that show up here to grab a cup are no longer satisfactory to you. We may not be gorgeous, but baby, we are mean looking. ..............
Not implying anything, but stating the obvious. You hit the nail on the head about being mean looking ..............

The existing cups are disgusting! They are so caked with dirt that even acid cleaning and pressure washing did little to remove the caked on dirt and awful smell. Those mugs are very definitely NOT gorgeous and so mean looking that I steered well clear of using any of them. The janitor has not been around for so long that most things in the breakroom became filthy, especially the mugs. Maybe next time that he shows up here, he will bring replacement mugs?

Instead of that block of steel under the 'hammer', place all the breakroom mugs here;
Old 12-21-2016, 05:58 PM

Stan - - that video is wild. Both primitive but creative. Can you see us doing something like that in America? We don't know how good we have it. And bad in some ways.

Ph00......................
Old 12-22-2016, 06:58 AM

Fresh Coffee and ph00 are on the counter. Cleaned the place up a bit and added some Christmas cheer. Put a cute ornament necklace on the dragon to spark the place up. Also left a platter of Christmas cookies. Enjoy. Off to do some shopping. Duh - - what to get for the blonde - - DUH, so hard.

Have a good day.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mornin everyone! Bob, Coffee is a little rugged this morning but not bad haha.
Wifey is smiling, Kids are good for xmas. So far today is good.
Low 30's here with a little sleet/rain. Off on a road call for a local town. Electrical problem on a loader.
Good thing it's inside.. Then back here to work on a couple powerstrokes and put some steering tires on the 4500. We willl see how the day goes..

Have a great day all
Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
-4° and freezing fog again. It's 7AM and I'm ready for a nap.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by cougar
-4° and freezing fog again. It's 7AM and I'm ready for a nap.
BORING. Hate to make you feel bad, Coug - - BUT, I just came in from the lanai where I was sipping coffee and munchin a cookie enjoying the sun, my orchids are blooming, my front yard is all in bloom and we are heading for the beach for supper. Tough, but someone has to do it.

REFILL ...................
Old 12-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Coughing a lung out again. Remind me to introduce my ASP to the O-3 in the office next door who gave it to me.

Off to sip a hot mix of honey and Beam..........

Merry Christmas to all if I don't get back for a bit.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM
REALLY old dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful day low 40s and sunshine not bad for winter

Claude
Old 12-23-2016, 05:25 AM

Morning all. Fresh coffee and ph00 in the pot. No goodies - - need them for the invasion here starting tomorrow. Little nip in the air - - in the low 60's last night - so nice sleeping with that gentle breeze across the bed. AC has not been on in over a week - - that should help the electric bill. Lots to do before the invasion tomorrow and Sunday. Fun. But somber this year - - one will be missing. Sad. Going to be tough on our daughter - - her life is changing drastically.

.............................UMMM GOOD................

L8R
Old 12-23-2016, 05:59 AM

Good morning. No goodies? Oh well, here, managed to scrounge up an assortment of nice Mexican goodies for y'all to munch on. Nice selection of traditional Mexican candies also to help make you more rotund, just like Santa.

Bob, not nice when a family member is missing at any time of the year, but at this time it is especially hard.

We tend to have a nip in the air here too in the mornings, but shortly after the sun comes up, the weather is generally wonderful. We do not have A/C in the house as it seldom gets hot enough to need it. At most we could use A/C 3 or 4 days a year.

Talking of Santa, it is time for the following again. Yeah, I know, it's an oldie, but enjoy it once again;

Santa Claus: An Engineer's Perspective

There are approximately two billion children (persons under 18) in the world. However, since Santa does not visit children of Muslim, Hindu, Jewish or Buddhist religions, this reduces the workload for Christmas night to 15% of the total, or 378 million (according to the Population Reference Bureau). At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per house hold, that comes to 108 million homes, presuming that there is at least one good child in each.

Santa has about 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 967.7 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with a good child, Santa has around 1/1000th of a second to park the sleigh, hop out, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left for him, get back up the chimney, jump into the sleigh and get on to the next house.

Assuming that each of these 108 million stops is evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false, but will accept for the purpose of the calculations), we are now talking about 0.78 miles (1.3 km) per household; a total trip of 75.5 million miles (125.83 million km), not counting bathroom stops or breaks. This means Santa’s sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second (1083 km/s), 3000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest manmade vehicle, the Ulysses space probe, moves at poky 27.4 miles per second (45.7 km/s), and a conventional reindeer can run (at best) 15 miles per hour (25 km/h) - that is four thousands of a mile (4/1000) per second (6.9 m/s).

The payload of the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium size Lego set (two pounds, or 0.906 kg, that is), the sleigh is carrying over 500 thousand tons US (508,000 t metric), not counting Santa himself. On land, a conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds (136 kg). Even granting that the “flying” reindeer could pull ten times the normal amount, the job can’t be done with only eight or even nine of them - Santa would need 360,000 of them. This increases the payload, not counting the weight of the sleigh, another 54,000 tons (54,864 t metric), or roughly seven times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth (the ship, not the monarch).

600,000 tons (606,600 t metric) travelling at 650 miles per second (1083 km/s) creates enormous air resistance, and this would heat up the reindeer in the same fashion as a spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer would absorb 14.3 quintillion Joules of energy per second each. In short, they would burst in flames almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them and creating deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team would be vaporized within 4.26 thousands of a second (0.00426 s), or right about the time Santa reached the fifth house on his trip.

Not that it matters, however, since Santa, as a result of accelerating from dead stop to 650 miles per second (1083 km/s) in 0.001 seconds, would be subjected to acceleration forces of 17,500 g’s. A 250 pound (113 kg) Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of the sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force (195,470 kg force, or 1.9547 MN), instantly crushing his bones and organs and reducing him to a quivering blob of pink goo.

Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now!
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Therefore, if Santa did exist, he's dead now!
Stan - -- how can you do this to me? I thought we were buddies. Santa cannot be dead - - no way, Jose. I just saw him in the store here in Sarasota today. If you are right, you have ruined my Christmas. ...................................................
Old 12-23-2016, 04:51 PM

Maybe you saw his evil twin?

Absolutely fantastic day here again. It was a tad nippy at sunrise, but an hour after the sun came up, the weather could not be improved on. Love it!

Quick Reply: ***BREAKROOM - 12/18 thru 12/24***