Off Road / 4x4 OffRoad discussion, along with 4x4 events and information.

Locker Options for 2nd gen Front Diff

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Locker Options for 2nd gen Front Diff

I've been thinking about some kind of selective locker up front on my 2000 truck. Obviously there's ARB, but I'm wondering about electrically actuated lockers--anything like that out there that anyone here has tried?

I'm not really interested in the ARB because I'm not too sure about its reliability in cold weather.

Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have,
Mike
Old 01-08-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 347 Likes on 286 Posts
2 of my friends run Lockrights in their 2nd-gens, but they have free-spin kits. I used to run one in my F350.

My wife has a Powertrax in the front of her Jeep Liberty (no CAD, part time 4x4). It is completely 'invisible' until you shift into 4x4.

If you kept your CAD and made it manual control, it would help with steering on any locker.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Check out the Oxlocker. It is probably what I will do when it is time.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The added benefit of the Ox locker is that you get a heavy duty "bashproof" dif cover with the locker
Old 05-07-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I actually forgot I started this thread!

The Ox locker looks like exactly what I want, but it's definitely more expensive than I was expecting. Oh well--better to have expensive high quality than cheap garbage any day!

I also found the Eaton Elocker, and it's price is very similar to the Ox.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-15-2016, 01:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a heads up for lurkers: front lunchbox lockers are only "invisible" on vehicles equipped with some form of birfield axle. U-joint axles have some foonky stuff go on in parking lots with Lock-rights and the like. U-joints transfer force in pulsations when at angle, which causes the locker to rapidly change ratchet direction making your frontend sound like it's coming apart when you turn tight. And yes, I am talking about in 2wd.

You have to disable the CAD to run traction devices except selectable *non LSD* lockers. Anything else will have problems with one side being driven. In theory you could run a spool and disconnect the CAD for 2wd driving, but the gear friction of the R&P only on one side may make it steer goofy.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by totalloser
Just a heads up for lurkers: front lunchbox lockers are only "invisible" on vehicles equipped with some form of birfield axle. U-joint axles have some foonky stuff go on in parking lots with Lock-rights and the like. U-joints transfer force in pulsations when at angle, which causes the locker to rapidly change ratchet direction making your frontend sound like it's coming apart when you turn tight. And yes, I am talking about in 2wd.

You have to disable the CAD to run traction devices except selectable *non LSD* lockers. Anything else will have problems with one side being driven. In theory you could run a spool and disconnect the CAD for 2wd driving, but the gear friction of the R&P only on one side may make it steer goofy.
Is this all personal experience?

Mine is limited to lockright with ujoints & locking hubs, or powertrax with birfs/rzeppas and fulltime unit bearings. I consider both very managable for primarily highway (including winter) and some offroad.

Any 2ndgen dodge axle i would run would get locking hubs first.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:37 AM

Yes.

I have installed and run every basic type of traction control device out there on various vehicles over the years.

Anything with CV producing transfer will be very smooth with lunchbox, but u-joint axles won't produce constant velocity and the pulsations will make both sides of the locker try and change direction. It makes it sound like your axle is eating itself when you turn tight in parking lots.

I am running one in my king pin 60 in my F350 and it's irritating enough I think I might put an aggressive clutch pack posi in it instead. Mostly so I can leave the hubs in without people thinking my junker is junkier than I think.

This *only* pertains to lunchbox style in the front of U-joint axle equipped axles.

But Full case lockers are *way* smoother in the rear too. They function in a very different way from lunchbox lockers. A lot less herky jerk clunkity pop.

FWIW I would not consider a lunchbox locker in anything as nice as a 2nd gen. Full case lockers are not that much more expensive and they are smooth. Besides all that "easy install" goes RIGHT out the window when you can't get the crosspin retainer out of your stock 60 case. I have plasma and it was still all kinds of fun. Had to burn the stock pin out from the end. Carrier shims are way easier.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Funny, I never considered my lockrighted-Dana-60-F350 to be junky or irritating. It was simply matter of unlocking the hubs. Truck was Detroited in the rear too.

IMO, it comes down to personal preference.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:50 PM

I agree to some extent. I'd say more like application than personal preference. For my application I want to be able to shift 4x4 in as needed in a timely manner due to frequent transitions from on/off road. Unlocking the hubs sort of defeats the purpose. Sort of surprised you would ask if you are running a lunchbox locker in the exact same axle. You KNOW what it does when you turn tight.

I don't think the locker is junk, it does what it's supposed to do. But it's in one of the ugliest trucks around. I love the old junker, but it is certainly junky. IE I was referring to the truck.

BTW I wouldn't be as worried about locking hubs in a Dodge 60 due to low pinion. I'd run a full case locker full time. Low pinion in the front puts 2wd friction on the drive side of the gear rather than the coast side in high pinion, so the parasitic drag is pretty durned minimal. Not like high pinion where you *feel* it sapping power.

PS Waaaaait a minnit... your F350... did it have a D50? Cause the D-60 turns tighter, thus more tight turn locker funkiness. ???