MDDTR #33 Forum for the Maryland chapter #33

AA County mechanic to replace rt frt caliper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AA County mechanic to replace rt frt caliper?

My right front caliper is sticking/pulsing and I think it needs to be replaced. Unfortunately I won't have time to do the work myself. Does anyone have a good recommendation on where to take it?

I don't mind doing brakes/pads, but I don't want to mess with a caliper.

Truck is '03 Quad cab, 4x4, 83K miles on her.

Any idea how much this will cost? And is there anything else I should be looking for? I will be taking the truck on a 2000 mile trip in a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-27-2013, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recommend The Diesel Connection. The shop is located just off of Rte. 40 at 1040 Hardees Drive in Aberdeen. The Diesel Connection does service and repair work with a focus on Dodge CTD vehicles.
Tom Blondheim is the owner and will likely answer the phone when you call.
1040 Hardees Dr, Aberdeen, MD 21001
(443) 360-4223

Not sure what the cost would be as I do them myself. I would have both calipers done since the caliper piston cups seem to stick/wear in pairs on our company Dodge CTD's. They have on my 03 as well. Make sure to have the brake fluid flushed/ exchanged with a dot 3or 4 fluid,especially if this service has not been performed yet. Brake fluid and power steering fluids are the most neglected in most vehicles today and usually get attended to once a component fails. I find it a best practice to replace the fluid at two year intervals.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any shop can do that work Chris. If you can do the pads you can do the caliper. You sure it's not the rotor?
Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM

Scotte, pretty sure its not the rotor. I used the truck all day yesterday helping my son move (in the rain up in Frederick, MD). I was pulling my little utility trailer and everything was fine.

After I got home late in the afternoon and parked the truck for a bit, I went to the store and noticed that the truck started the shudder at very low speeds when I touched the brake pedal - I could feel it in the steering wheel. I even got out of the truck to see if I had a flat tire. It doesn't shudder/pulse when going faster, only at walking speeds. But I haven't mic'd it to make sure (not that I have a mic anymore for that).

The right front wheel is red with brake dust while the other wheels are rather clean.

I am guilty of not changing out the brake fluid.... so that probably contributed to this condition.

I"m planning moving my GF/SO to MD in a couple of weeks, and thats the reason I don't want to have ANY problems with the truck on that trip...

Funny that Aberdeen was mentioned. I'm up at the proving grounds all week (M-Th) for a training class, but the class schedule is pretty grueling and I don't have much time off.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could be the caliper is binding or the hose is going bad. Best way to check is when it happens crack the bleeder and see if fluid shoots out. Or just replace the caliper and hose together.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:39 AM

Scotte, (edit) - first time I cracked the bleeder nothing came out. But before I put it all back together; I rotated the rotor 2 revolutions and checked the bleeder again.

The 2nd time, I was rewarded with a bunch of drops coming out of the bleeder.

What does that mean?

What a rusty mess in there. Outside pad is pretty thin no metal to metal yet. The inside pad is in better shape.

Last edited by bulabula; 07-28-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: measuring twice before cutting once....
Old 08-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Just to close the loop, all I had to change out was the front pads.

Next job is replacing the fan (which has been eaten by squirrels). I thought that would be a simple 4 bolt affair. Nope. A fan clutch wrench, huh?