Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

New to dodge 98 12 valve 2 questions please

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to dodge 98 12 valve 2 questions please

Finally jumped up to a full size truck 98 ram quad cab full size bed exhaust brake and b&d tork converter in the auto trany .. ,Little bit about me ,,, I have been driving isuzu diesels for over 30 years still have 3 . toy trucks that they are i get 35 mpg . however power to pull a trailer they do not have . I`m an artist and I`m expanding to sculptures and had the need for a truck that could hull a trailer and still get good mpg . So for over a year I have been looking for an old 12 valve dodge diesel . found one in cherry condition with only 150000 on it just broke in ..

I try to do most of my own mechanical work and have tools and a nice garage .. I have 2 questions,, reply s and advice would be appreciated .. 1!st question is about the[[ killer doll pin]] Ive been told on the 98 that the factory has pined or peeened [ cant spell it ] the metal over the sides and put lock tight on it so it` s ok . What do you think is it true Not to worry about it on the 98s ,,, or do I need to pull the radiator ect and put in the kit ...

The other question is my cruise control dosen`t work . Suggestions on how to start, to get it working again,, Never had cruise but right legs starts to hurt after 4 or 5 hours of driving so I need to get it going ..
Newest vehicle Ive ever had and I love this truck ,,even my wife likes it sure has more room up front the the isuzu pups . Excited to have found this forum Happy thanks Giving to all
Old 11-18-2015, 04:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
KDP- It might not hurt to check it, there are many easy fixes. Peace of mind means a bunch.

Cruise-Not sure as I haven't had issues with them. I would start with checking the vacuum lines as that is about all that a 98 has issues with. Any hard or brittle, replace. Does the indicator illuminate when you select it? If it does, refer back to vacuum. If not, chase wiring.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
...and take your wallet out of your rear pocket to ease pain in your leg.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:03 PM

wallet out no problem

I've no problem spending the funds for the parts , but as I'm new to this truck I just need to know opinions on what needs be done and where to start . I always believed in prior proper planing prevented **** poor performance !
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM

yes check it and it was out

the K.d.p. had fallen out at some point and it had chipped the pump gear was still ok replace the gear and pin was at bottom found it with a magnet . So the moral is if you have one of these trucks just do it or you can have a large problem I was lucky !