Introductions / New People If you're new to the site, feel free to introduce yourself here. Welcome!

Hello from central Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello from central Illinois

Hello all! I just picked up my new truck this past Sunday after having the last straw with my 1500 Sierra. It's my first Cummins and I'm amazed!

So here's what I got; 2002 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Red Long Bed 24 valve 6 speed Camper Special Laramie SLT. It has 97k miles on it. The body is in great shape especially for being in the Mid-West, and the bottom side and bed has been Rhino lined to protect the body.

Performance wise it has a Glacier lift pump, 4" Silverline Aluminized exhaust (muffler delete), Edge EZ, ISSPRO guages, and the turbo silencer ring is removed. I picked up a BHAF yesterday from Carquest and might put that on today, or I might see if I can wait long enough that I'll notice the difference when I put it on.

I've worked on all my cars/trucks/bikes myself over the years, and I've been a mechanic in the Illinois Army National Guard for 14 years. So I've been around diesels before, just never a 24v Cummins. I'm really excited to learn about this truck, and I've been looking for any kind of threads, webpages, or manuals that I could read so I at least have an idea of what I'm looking for, but I haven't really found anything. Is there anything you all know of that would give me a little more knowledge on what to expect on these trucks? I have a basic knowledge of whats going on and diesel trucks, so I'm looking for 24v specifics. I understand I'll learn more as I read through the threads here.

Now I have a question about something on my truck I've seen. He told me he didn't bleed off the air when he changed the fuel filters last so the fuel pressure gauge bounces a bit. I haven't tried bleeding it off yet, but it does bounce, about 2-4 psi back and forth. And from what I've read with the mechanical lift pump I expected more pressure gain as I accelerate more, and I don't notice it much. What can I expect with this set up and what should I do about the bouncing pressure? Could it be the gauge? Are ISSPRO gauges decent gauges?

I am looking for some 17" rims to put on my Ram because the current tires aren't great and I have 17" Hankook ATMs Load Range E on my Sierra that have a ton of tread left and I'd hate to see them go. But I haven't found anything yet, but I'll have to do it quick before I sell my Sierra.

What do you guys think about the set up I currently have?
Is there anything I should consider changing?
I do have some cash to play with, but anything I do right now is going to have to be way worth my money because the cash I have is supposed to be for changing more things on my Harley and riding season is finally approaching!

Thanks for listening and any replies!
Attached Thumbnails Hello from central Illinois-img_20150222_173545_646.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 03:12 PM

Update

So I thought I'd post an update on my truck.

My signature has changed quite a bit since I've bought the truck since I've done some work to it. I put the BHAF on it, with a heat shield, put on a boost elbow, tinted the front windows, put a truxedo bed cover on it, billet grill insert, installed aftermarket electric tow mirrors, removed the Edge ez box and installed a Smarty tuner, put on a 2.5" Hell Bent Steel leveling kit with sway bar drop bracket, new Bilstein front shocks, new tires, Hell Bent Steel steering brace, put my stereo in, and N-Fab 6 step nerf bars.

I've still got to install my upgrade 08 Mopar tie rod assembly, and get ball joints and get those in.

I think that's about it. The truck is great and I love it. It really turns a lot of heads and I look forward to throwing some more parts at it. So here are a couple pictures of it as of lately.
Attached Thumbnails Hello from central Illinois-imag0679.jpg  
Old 12-29-2015, 09:44 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Nice Rig, man.....

Old 01-01-2016, 08:18 AM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
A nice set of 17 inch rims would be some 3rd gen Dodge rims.
Look for some that are used.
I ran those rims on my '95 last summer.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Thanks Oliver. I tried looking when I got the truck to see if I could save the tires from my old truck, but no one around here is getting rid of anything like that. I even looked later when I got new tires and it didn't work out. I do like the looks of that though. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:29 AM

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Keep your eyes open for a guy who upgraded from the stock rims and want to get back some cash selling the stock aluminum 17 inch rims they use on the 3rd gens.

I am doing the same right now. I have some hand me down 17 Nittos from a friend that when his tires are on the last 15,000 or so he just gets new ones.
He just waits for winter and gets a new set for the snowy roads. The old ones are not worth him swapping back on the next summer. Since 15,000 miles gets me a few summers of driving a summer only 1st gen it should work out great.

I missed out on a set of 17 rims with caps for $400 last month on CL.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:35 PM

Nice. I did that with my last truck. Maybe next time it's ready for tires.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Vendor

Hello and welcome to the forum! Glad to have you here. Thanks for showing us your truck, it looks beautiful! Looks like she's seeing a wide diversity of environments and from what you're saying, handling it like a champ! Hope you stick around and find this place useful.
Old 01-26-2016, 02:52 PM

Well I'm coming up on having my beauty for 1 year. Today I FINALLY got my 08.5 steering upgrade installed! I've had the upgrade assembly since September. Luckily my brother was off work and was able to help me get it aligned, that really helped with the hassles. But all in all it came out pretty easy and went in ok. I trimmed up the bolt end of the tie rods so my stock 16"s fit. We finally got the steering wheel straight, and the wheels aligned. It'd been a while since I aligned wheels with a string and the last time I did it was on a all independent suspension HMMWV. Turned out great, goes straight down the road and the wheel is straight. Can't really be happier. Now I've got to get the ball joints done...

Thanks for all the nice comments and the help guys! I'll try to get some more pictures up.