HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Starter Solenoid Fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Solenoid Fuse?

I just bought a used 2000 Dodge 2500 CTD 4x4 5 spd man. I went out to start the other morning and there was nothing with the turn of the key. I found the Starter Solenoid fuse in the engine compartment fuse box was burned out. I replaced it and things were fine for a while. Later that day it burned out again. It keeps doing this. I did not find any wires shorting out and no loose connection. Is the solenoid bad? Is there some place that i didn't look for a loose or shorting wire. I am due to move across the U.S. in one week. Any help would be appreciated. Also, if i wind up getting a starter, what kind should i get. I know avoid Auto Zone or Advanced but what brand and does anyone have any input on gear reduction starters?
Old 05-06-2007, 07:42 PM

re: starter solenoid

don't know what kind of truck you have, but in my 97 when I turned the key, I would only get a click. My dealer said the solenoid was shot, & they don't sell them separately, & I would have to buy a whole starter.. My local Napa had the 2 copper plates & a new plunger, & gasket that go in the solenoid for under $20.. replaced them & no more problems.. Don't know if this'll help with a short though..
Old 05-06-2007, 08:00 PM

Smile

Had the same problem. Blew the fuse replaced it and it worked fine for awhile. Then the fuse started blowing more and more often and got to the point that it wouldn't turn over at all. My diesel mechanic; whom I think is the best, told me that he thought that Dodge made a kit for this. He has acess to all updates from the factories.
I kept living with it and finally I had it towed to Jim and he put a kit in and replaced the bad solenoid, changed the oil for $511.00. This didn't seem too bad to since the dodge dealer wanted around $700.00 installed just for the starter; starter and solenoid are 1, and never, ever mentioned there was a factory alert on these. The shop I go to is Jim's Automotive in McAllen, Texas. I'm in Atlanta right now and don't have the number. Call information and I know he'll be happy to talk to you. If you ask for Jim senior although Jim jr. is really good too.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:08 PM

Red face

Jim can also tell you what brand he uses. It's suppossed to be fully guarnteed and from what I understand avoid buying a real cheap starter. I've been told this by several people.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:23 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There is a TSB for thie starter fuse blowing.

NO: 08-01-00 Rev. A
SUBJECT: No Start (Engine Will Not Crank) Due To A Blown Starter Relay Circuit Fuse
DATE: June 30, 2000
THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 08-01-00, DATED JAN. 21, 2000, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly and a new fuse.

NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO RAM TRUCKS AND RAM VANS/WAGONS BUILT BEFORE THE FOLLOWING DATES:

RAM VANS/WAGONS
• PILLETTE ROAD ASSEMBLY PLANT - ALL EXCEPT CNG VEHICLES - JANUARY 18, 2000 (MDH 0118XX). CNG VEHICLES - JANUARY 25, 2000 (MDH 0125XX).

RAM TRUCKS
• ST. .LOUIS ASSEMBLY PLANT (11TH VIN POSITION = "J") - JANUARY 25, 2000 (MDH 0125XX)
• WARREN TRUCK ASSEMBLY PLANT (11TH VIN POSITION = "S") - FEBRUARY 2, 2000 (MDH 0202XX).
• SALTILLO TRUCK ASSEMBLY PLANT (11TH VIN POSITION = "G") - FEBRUARY 7, 2000 (MDH 0207XX).
• LAGO ALBERTO ASSEMBLY PLANT (11TH VIN POSITION = "M") - FEBRUARY 14, 2000 (MDH 0214XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The vehicle will not start (engine will not crank) due to a blown starter relay circuit fuse.

DIAGNOSIS:
Inspect for a blown starter relay circuit fuse. The starter relay circuit fuse is located in the fuse block on Ram Van/Wagons and is fuse number 17. On Ram Trucks, the starter relay fuse is located in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) and is fuse "D." If the fuse is blown, inspect the starter relay circuit forany electrical shorts to ground. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual, Group 8W-21 "Starting System Wiring Diagrams" for circuit identification, components, and their locations. If there are no apparent electrical shorts to ground in the starter relay circuit, perform the Repair Procedure.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 04687835 Fuse, 25-Amp
AR (1) 05019014AA Relay/Harness Assembly, Starter Solenoid Jumper, Ram Van/Wagon
AR (1) 05019015AA Relay/Harness Assembly, Starter Solenoid Jumper, Ram Truck

REPAIR PROCEDURE:
THIS REPAIR IS COMPATIBLE WITH DAIMLERCHRYSLER'S MOBILE SERVICE PROGRAM AND DOES NOT REQUIRE HOISTS OR OTHER FULL SERVICE FACILITY SPECIAL EQUIPMENT.

RAM TRUCK

Disconnect the battery negative cable. On vehicles equipped with a diesel engine, disconnect both battery negative cables.
On vehicles equipped with a gas engine, remove the battery negative cable clamp-attaching nut and existing ground eyelet. Install the ground eyelet (black wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly p/n 05019015AA onto the battery negative bolt. The ground eyelet should be placed between the existing ground eyelet and the battery negative clamp. Install the battery negative clamp nut. Secure the nut finger tight only at this time. On vehicles equipped with a diesel engine, remove the battery negative cable clamp-attaching nut from the left battery. Slide the ground eyelet (black wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly p/n 05019015AA onto the battery negative bolt and reinstall the nut. Secure the nut finger tight only at this time.
NOTE: DO NOT CONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE TO THE BATTERY AT THIS TIME.

If equipped, slide the insulated cover of the battery positive clamp down away from the clamp approximately one inch.
Remove the battery positive clamp nut (left side only on diesel engines).
If equipped, slide the B+ wire and eyelet (red wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly through the battery positive clamp insulated cover.
On vehicles equipped with gas engines, attach the B+ wire and eyelet (red wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly onto the battery positive clamp bolt. On vehicles equipped with diesel engines, remove the battery positive bolt from the left battery positive clamp. Slide the B+ wire and eyelet (red wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly onto the battery positive clamp bolt. Install the bolt/B+ eyelet assembly onto the battery positive clamp. Reattach the right battery positive lead onto the clamp.
Install the battery positive nut. On vehicles equipped with gas engines, tighten the nut to 7.9 N• m (70 in. lbs.). On vehicles equipped with diesel engines, position the B+ wire eyelet so that the wire is pointing to the left (pointing towards the left fender). Tighten the nut to 9 N• m (80 in. lbs.).
Disconnect the gray connector (T40 14BR circuit) located on the right side of the power distribution center.
Connect the two remaining leads of the starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly to the disconnected gray connector.
Secure the starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly to the battery positive cable as shown in Figure 1. Secure the top of the relay by placing a tie-strap through the hole of the relay bracket and wrap the tie-strap around the battery positive cable. Secure the middle of the relay by placing at least four wraps of electrical tape around the relay and the battery positive cable. Secure the wiring harness of the relay assembly by placing at least two wraps of electrical tape around the harness and battery positive cable.
Remove the blown fuse from the power distribution center and install a 25-amp fuse p/n 04687835.
Connect the battery negative cable(s). On vehicles equipped with gas engines, tighten the nut to 7.9 N• m (70 in. lbs.). On vehicles equipped with diesel engines, position the ground eyelet so that the wire is pointing to the left (pointing towards the left fender). Tighten the nut to 9 N• m (80 in. lbs.). Reset the clock.
Verify the repair by ensuring that the engine starter circuit operates.
NOTE: A SUPPLEMENTAL WIRE SCHEMATIC FOR PAGE 8W-21-2 OF THE 2000 RAM TRUCK SERVICE MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-370-0008) IS ATTACHED TO THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

RAM VAN/WAGON
Disconnect the battery negative cable.
Remove the battery negative cable clamp attaching nut and bolt. Slide the ground eyelet (black wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly p/n 05019014AA onto the battery negative bolt. Install the battery negative bolt/ground eyelet assembly onto the battery negative clamp.
Install the battery negative clamp nut. Secure the nut finger tight only at this time.
NOTE: DO NOT CONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE CABLE TO THE BATTERY AT THIS TIME.

Remove the battery positive clamp nut.
Attach the B+ wire eyelet (red/gray wire with eyelet) from starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly onto the battery positive clamp bolt. Place the B+ wire eyelet between the existing eyelet (if equipped) and the battery positive clamp.
Install the battery positive nut. Tighten the nut to 7.9 N• m (70 in. lbs.).
Disconnect the gray connector (T40 14BR circuit) located to the right of the battery above the power distribution center.
Connect the two remaining leads of the starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly to the disconnected gray connector.
Secure the starter solenoid jumper relay/harness assembly to the headlamp and dash harness as shown in Figure 2. Secure the top of the relay by placing a tie-strap through the hole of the relay bracket and wrap the tie-strap around the headlamp and dash harness. Secure the middle of the relay by placing at least four wraps of electrical tape around the relay and the headlamp and dash harness. Secure the wiring harness of the relay assembly by placing at least two wraps of electrical tape around the jumper harness and headlamp and dash harness.
Remove the blown fuse from the fuse block (cavity 17) and install a 25-amp fuse p/n 04687835.
Connect the battery negative cable. Tighten the nut to 7.9 N• m (70 in. lbs.). Reset the clock.
Verify the repair by ensuring that the engine starter circuit operates.
NOTE: A SUPPLEMENTAL WIRE SCHEMATIC FOR PAGE 8W-21-2 OF THE 2000 RAM VAN SERVICE MANUAL (PUBLICATION NO. 81-370-0007) IS ATTACHED TO THIS TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN FOR YOUR REFERENCE.

POLICY:
Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.

TIME ALLOWANCE:
Labor Op. No. Time
08-90-65-97 0.4 Hrs.

FAILURE CODE:
Code Description
P8 New Part
Old 05-07-2007, 09:16 AM

Go to dodge and get the starter solenoid TSB relay or build your own. Mine has had this problem for a while. I have replaced the stock 20 amp fuse with a 30 amp and have not had a problem. I know this is not the best, but it works and I am aware of the related issues with increasing this fuse rating.
I do not recommend this if you are not electronically aware of the related issues.
There is actually a pre-TSB that states to upgrade the fuse to a 25-amp, and some dealers actually did this to all of their trucks to resolve this issue.

All you really need is a 30amp accessory relay and some 12 ga wire to make your own TSB fix.

Run the original wire to the starter solenoid to the trigger wire on the relay, run the 12ga wire to the starter solenoid, get a good 12 volt source from the battery and a good ground, and you are done. This supplies the correct 30amp circuit to the starter and uses the stock 20 circuit for the trigger of the new circuit.

Hope this make sense.

Just get the TSB and make it yourself. I am sure Dodge wants a fortune for that relay and some wires.

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-01-00.htm

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/08-01-00-Ram.htm
Old 05-08-2007, 12:46 AM

Same thing happened on my 2000. A set of Larry B's supersize starter contacts (far less than $50 to my door) Part#R90SS (Google it) and about two hours of my own time with VERY BASIC HAND TOOLS.

This is a no brainer fix. The copper contacts in your solenoid wear out LONG before your starter. This little kit is eady to install and replaces the factory contacts with significantly larger contacts and a new plunger. Fixed mine last year and everything has been great since then.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:26 PM

thanks guys. I think i will go with the starter rebuild. I really apreciate all the response and advise. You guys rock!