HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

No Crank, no Start Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry No Crank, no Start Help!!!

This is the same tread I posted earlier I just changed the title maybe this will help.
4 Weeks ago my 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 with a 6.7L Cummins engine died on me. I went into a store and when I came out the truck would not crank, turn no start. It seemed like if the batteries were dead. I got it towed to my house and a friend told is going to be the starter; first both batteries were checked and they are good. I replaced the starter and nothing happened. Then I replaced the ignition starter switch, and same nothing happened. I checked all the fuses everything was ok. The only thing it did, when I turned the ignition key all the way to crank all my cluster lights would come on, but no turn no crank no start at all.
I gave up paid $400 to get it towed to the dealership. After a week the dealership calls me and tells me that they replaced the TIPM $2,000 I paid and when I picked the truck up the check engine light was on. I made aware the service guy of that and their mechanic came out erased the light and told me that there was an issue that he need to consult with someone back on the east coast. He told just drive it nothing is going to happen the light will probably come on again. After a week of driving and the engine light coming on and going away at times. The truck did it again at the parking lot of a store. No crank no start again. Another $400 to get it towed to the dealership; and now the dealership says that is the PCM is bad and is going to cost $3,500. Has anybody had this issue in the past? I am going to fight this dealer to the end cause I feel that the PCM was the issue since the beginning and made me spend $2,400 already and did not fix the issue.
Anybody has any ideas on how should I proceed?
Thank you. Your advise will be much appreciated
Old 07-31-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Long are the days of techs troubleshooting the problem. Instead, they throw parts at the vehicle in hopes it fixes it.

Now, with that said, no start problems can be due to the TIPM, the PCM (ECM), wiring, ABS module, and everything in between. I have been dealing with the same issue on my 2010 since about 2012. Typical issue is loss of communication. I can't stand dealers, so in hopes of troubleshooting these issues myself, I eventually bought a diagnostic scan tool and the Factory Service Manual to help me out. My truck got so bad last week, that after countless hours of troubleshooting and double checking the wires, I eventually bought a re-manufactured TIPM (going to take about 4 weeks to come in). I can eventually get the truck to start, but it takes some patience.

Through the diagnosing phase, there is one thing I learned about these trucks: What was the code logged against? The TIPM, the ECM, or another module or multiple modules. Depending on that answer, the FSM drives you toward the solution. In my case, none of the codes were logged against the ECM, but instead, they were logged against the TIPM, ABS module, ITBM, and the Drivetrain Control Module and the Wireless Control Module. All of them, eventually drives you back to the TIPM at some point, with the end result being a new TIPM if more than one module has the same code and the wiring checks out.

I just took a quick glance at a 2008 FSM and it appears it goes down the same path for troubleshooting.

If I were you, I would ask the dealer for a printout of all of the codes and see what the codes were logged against. The answer to that, would determine the path the dealer should have taken, assuming they were just throwing parts at it.