HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Help! Dodge diesel dumping ALOT of oil!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Dodge diesel dumping ALOT of oil!

I was driving the 1998 dodge on the highway when all of a sudden, the oil guage went to nothing. I pulled over and there was oil everywhere! And the oil dipstick showed it was empty....I had the oil changed 2 days before!.<br><br>Now, the thing is in the shop, and they say is is holding oil fine! What on earth would cause such a severe issue?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:28 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Help! Dodge diesel dumping ALOT of oil!

When they changed your oil they could have

A: Left the drain plug loose.
B: Forgot to check to make sure the old oil filter gasket came off with the old filter.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:49 AM

They checked the drain plug and its ok. The odd thing is that it drove apx 200 miles before doing this....also, how could it be OK now if we have not done anything to correct it??<br><br>Erin
Old 06-02-2003, 01:37 PM

Did the same people that changed it tell you they can't find the trouble?<br><br>Was the oil down the passenger's side of the engine?
Old 06-02-2003, 02:22 PM

No, not the same folks and yes- the passanger side of the truck. They have just reported that there is a part over there whose job it is to release pressure ( and sometimes a little oil in the process). They think that the part malfunctioned and, after opening, did not shut again- allowing all the oil to pour out. They recommend changing out the whole thing- does that theory sound right? I wonder how they would know that if it is working now (as it reportedly is). I think it may be called a &quot;blow-by&quot;<br><br>Erin
Old 06-02-2003, 03:09 PM

The &quot;Puke Tube&quot; is at the front of the engine.<br><br>Does it look like the oil might have originated from the oil filter area?
Old 06-02-2003, 06:22 PM

According to the diagnostic section of the service manual, it sounds like you are referring to the Oil Pressure Relief Valve. It's located on the oil filter mount, and it can get stuck open resulting in oil being dumped. It looks pretty simple consisting of a hex head threaded bolt, a spring under the bolt and an internal plug or &quot;valve&quot; which rides inside the bore. When pushed up against the spring with enough force, the plug allows oil to be vented out a side hole which is usually sealed by the plug. The next question is why the oil pressure was so high?
Old 06-02-2003, 07:04 PM

On every other engine I've seen an oil pressure relief valve pops off and returns the oil to the pan, not all over the outside of the engine. ???<br><br>Still sounds to me like the &quot;Double Gasket&quot; on the oil filter deal.<br>Or a defective/blown oil filter<br><br>Could be wrong.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:31 AM
Chapter President

It could be something else, but I think Shovelhead may be right. A double gasket may seal but can let loose at any time.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:53 AM

Well, we are having the oil changed today (that would fix it if its an oil filter right?). It has now been to two mechanics (both Dodge) and no one sees anything wrong nor can they make it happen again! This is the oddest thing that either have seen. I wish I could find someone else who has experienced this.<br><br>Erin
Old 06-03-2003, 09:56 AM

I agree ! <br>Sounds like a double gasket or loose filter.<br>And your mechanic won't fess up to his mistake.<br>On top of that sounds like he is trying to con you into more unnessary repairs.<br>Maybe it's time for a new wrench.<br>Or at least a second opinion.<br>If it was the bypass there should be some sign of where the oil dumped.<br>Just don't wait to long, as the signs will fade.<br><br>Good Luck !<br><br>Keep us informed on what you find.<br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 06-03-2003, 09:58 AM

Agree! The oil change is being done somewhere other than where we got the first opinion/oil change.<br><br>I really appreciate all of your input and will keep everyone informed. This is a great site!<br>Erin
Old 06-03-2003, 10:09 AM

Just for grins.....what brand Oil Filter are you using?