HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Changed all filters... now won't start. HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2016, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Changed all filters... now won't start. HELP!!!

I did a previous post (my very first ever) about the loss of power but no codes nor smoke. I changed all of the fuel filters (3 total: 1 under hood & 2 aftermarket... a water separator & fuel). I even changed the air filter.
Now the truck will crank but won't start.
I searched and saw a thread about the lift pump, but I checked under the hood where it should be only to find that there isn't one there.
Could that be because of the aftermarket system?

I opened the water filter and cycled the fuel pump, but there was nothing to drip. I went as far as to take both filters off only to see that with the pump cycling, there was still no fuel flowing through at all.

Could this aftermarket system have been my problem the entire time?
or should I be looking for something else?

Please HELP!!! This is my first Dodge Dually 3500. I bought it used, but now starting to wonder if I bought someone else's problems.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Turn the key on but don't crank the motor you should be able to hear the lift pump running in the fuel tank. My bet is...it isn't.

On Edit: I just realized you said you have a aftermarket fuel pump, so the same goes for it. What kind of pump do you have?
The following users liked this post:
negotiator (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Yep,what Lary said, plus give us the year we are dealing with also.

2004.5 started the in tank pump, and prior models from 98.5-2004 had many changed to the intank pump, so those models would not have a block mounted pump. The 98.5-2004 versions that have been converted will have an adapter block bolted to where the old pump used to be though.

On edit, just saw your post in the 3rd gen forum, since you have an 05, you never had a block mounted pump.

I would almost bet the in tank pump died and is causing the aftermarket pump to not be able to do it's job.

Time to find out if they did the right thing and eliminated the intank pump when they put the aftermarket pump on.
negotiator (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 08:55 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Gas engines handle air in the fuel lines a lot better than diesel. You have to bleed all air out before it will run, as said above. Don't crack an injector line on a common rail ever to bleed any air out. There is super high pressure and it will be bad, real bad. That bad may very well include a death. For real.

If your lift pump is not healthy, bleeding air will be difficult.
negotiator (03-24-2016)
Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 PM

Thanks to all of you for your responses. I still haven't rectified the problem yet, but waiting on 2 parts to arrive in the morning.
I did follow the instructions/advice offered and when I cycled the fuel pump, there was no fuel flow at all from the filter housings. As stated, the truck has an aftermarket FASS that I later found is tied into the primary fuel pump that's inside the fuel tank. I took power from the aftermarket pump only to notice there was no sound at all coming from the primary pump inside the tank. The cycling noise I heard from the pump was from the aftermarket system only.
I ordered a new fuel pump for inside the tank. Praying that it fixes my problem. Hope I didn't miss anything and I can finally put this truck on the road to work with no other issues any time soon.
Advice???
Old 03-24-2016, 09:15 PM
Admin Team Leader

Putting a pump in the tank for the FASS to draw through...(as you have already seen when the crappy in tank pump quits it starves the FASS system) is a mistake. You need to install the FASS properly with a draw straw so there is no failed pump (obstruction) in the way.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:55 PM

Where would I find information regarding the "draw straw?"
I'm not sure why it is set up this way. I bought it used and of course the dealer had no information that he could provide me about any of this. I'm not even sure he knew any of it existed.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic/subject hut this type of vehicle is new to me.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Admin Team Leader

I would go to FASS website and under support look up the installation manual for your pump...then you can determine what you have and how to make it right.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by negotiator
Where would I find information regarding the "draw straw?"
I'm not sure why it is set up this way. I bought it used and of course the dealer had no information that he could provide me about any of this. I'm not even sure he knew any of it existed.

I apologize for my ignorance on the topic/subject hut this type of vehicle is new to me.
Here you go.

DrawStraw™ Fuel Module Upgrades

Specifically from the selector, you want the draw straw V

Genos garage also sells them.

'98.5-'16 Dodge Cummins VULCAN Performance Draw Straw V
Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 PM

Greetings All,
I apologize for the late update, but I did get my truck going again and I still don't know if it was the after market fuel pump (FASS) or not because I could still hear it cycling but no fuel. What I was later told is that it required a different type of priming that I did not do and that's why I wasn't getting any fuel to flow. Needless to say, I reinstalled a new OEM Factory Fuel pump back into the tank and the truck has been running every since.

I did find also that what appeared to be the factory pump in the tank with a line attached to the tank was actually a modified system serving as a "draw straw."

Thanks again for all your help and assistance. So far no problems since.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:51 AM
Administrator

Glad you got her going.

Sounds like someone had converted it to the in tank setup and then kept the aftermarket pump as well, which is ok as long as both are working.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:44 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm going to predict that you have this issue again later on. As said above, when a FASS or other aftermarket lift pump is installed, the in tank pump needs to be eliminated with the addition of the draw straw kit. The pump in the tank is left in place because the fuel gauge is with it. Drawing fuel with the FASS thru that in tank pump is going to eventually kill that FASS which is a way better system that does not come cheap. A draw straw kit is cheap.
negotiator (05-06-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 12:03 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
I'm going to predict that you have this issue again later on. As said above, when a FASS or other aftermarket lift pump is installed, the in tank pump needs to be eliminated with the addition of the draw straw kit. The pump in the tank is left in place because the fuel gauge is with it. Drawing fuel with the FASS thru that in tank pump is going to eventually kill that FASS which is a way better system that does not come cheap. A draw straw kit is cheap.
I have to agree with 1-2-3, I had a similar situation years ago. One word of caution with the draw straw, mine actually broke off. Probably just the luck of the break room idiot, but I replaced it with a piece of schedule 80 pvc (grey stuff). If you take off the bed of the truck, be sure to clean out the diff vent filters, and check your wiring harnesses, and fuel lines. I found a couple areas in need of attention.

Welcome to DTR!!