HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

broken rocker arm or push rod tube?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken rocker arm or push rod tube?

How would my 94 act if I had a broken rocker arm or push rod tube?

Thanks......
Old 10-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If you suspect a problem, you might just be due for a valve adjustment. What are you seeing/hearing.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:45 PM

vavles

Red I recently had a rough idle issue. So I installed new 80 HP injectors, new lift pump, new over flow valve, new rubber fuel lines, and set the timing to 15.5. I am still getting a little rough idle and it wants to backfire a little some times. I even took the IP pump out to have it checked and blew all the fuel lines out. I am having the valves looked at now. The mechanic said it might be a broken rocker arm, out of adjustment valves or a broken push rod tube? It seems like it is on the exhaust side not the intake......

Dave
Old 10-13-2006, 09:44 PM

must be

So I have come to think I must have a bad push rod tube or rocker arm. But what are the chances my cam is bad? I am going to have my push rod tubes and rocker arms checked on monday for "true'ness". But could I have damaged my cam? Something in the valve train is bad for sure....
Old 10-14-2006, 09:14 AM
JKM

Easiest way to figure out what is going on , pull the valve covers off , and start it up , just let it idle , and it will not make much of a mess , you can observe the operation that way, look for a rocker not moving as much as the rest , etc.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:14 PM

inspection

JKM already tried that. But I suspect that one of the push rod tubes has mushroomed just a few hundreds to make my truck backfire but not notice it while moving. I am going to have the push rod tubes and rocker arms checked on Monday for " trueness" .

How often do guys have issues with a cam going bad? I have 197,000 on the clock. We chocked the timing to make sure it did not move. Right on 15.5. Checked the timing twice.....

Dave
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 PM
JKM

If you had a cam lobe that was going flat , you would be able to see it with the valve cover off and the engine running.

You should be able to check the push rods yourself, pull the rockers off , and pull the push rods out , and roll them across a perfectly flat surface , and look for them wobbling.

I think a broken rocker arm would appear obvious.

The other thought on my mind here , is do an oil sample , send it away , if there is metal shavings or other contaminents in there , they would be able to tell you where it is coming from (ie metal shavings from a cam lobe)
Old 10-15-2006, 07:52 AM

springs

So would it be to my advantage now that I have my rocker arms, push tubes ans springs out to replace the stock springs with a stiffer set? I am not looking for 1/4 mile times or a 4K spring kit. Just looking for durability.......
Old 10-15-2006, 07:28 PM
JKM

There would be no harm at all (except to your wallet) to put some heavier valve springs on there, it would actually be a good benefit , as it will decrease the tendency for your exhaust valve to try and "float" open from the turbo drive pressure.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Price

What type of price would I be looking at for stiffer springs?

Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by West Coast
JKM already tried that. But I suspect that one of the push rod tubes has mushroomed just a few hundreds to make my truck backfire but not notice it while moving. I am going to have the push rod tubes and rocker arms checked on Monday for " trueness" .

How often do guys have issues with a cam going bad? I have 197,000 on the clock. We chocked the timing to make sure it did not move. Right on 15.5. Checked the timing twice.....

Dave
If it is popping it is going to be either a tight valve (adjustment), a burned valve or possibly a bent valve, or a cam.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would fix the problem before I changed springs. Especially if it's a pushrod problem. Isn't there a special procedure to get the PR's out? Like, you might drop them or somethig close to them on down in the motor?
Old 10-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Banned

i bent a single exhaust valve pushrod a few weeks back on my 24v and at idle you could here a kinda of popping/ "gurgle" in the exhaust at idle. when going down the road it was very noticable and at WOT is was missing and almsot back firing (how it sounded)

one pushrod a few dollars later and it was good as new.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:11 AM

Thanks

Thanks for all the replys guys. This is how my truck was sounding at idle......

http://www.proworkz.com/dodge.wmv.

Since this video I had the IP rebuilt and timing set at 15.5. Still had a rough sounding idle. So that is why we looked at the valve trane.

I should have everthing back together today..... Thanks...

Dave
Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM

stop looking for expensive causes and do a valve adjustment urself...if u need the procedure i'll send u the link ..it will cost u nothing...i know how frustrating it is for our motors to act up because of the reputation they have...so its unsettling...but its usually a dumb thing in the end...i had some disgusting idling going on a couple months ago...sounded like chunks of metal were in my crankcase...turned out to be loose TC bolts...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: broken rocker arm or push rod tube?