HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

3 codes and strong diesel smell in cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
3 codes and strong diesel smell in cab

Truck started giving off a strong diesel smell in the cab last night. Also the check engine light came on. Codes are P0111, P0148 & P0069. Got home and looked all around looking for a leak, none found. Checked oil level and it was over full. If this is another fuel related issue that will be the 4th time. Per Cummins may be seals on the gear pump, well the CP3 was replaced at 30000+ miles and I am only at 49000+ now. Getting really frustrated. Depend on this truck for work and it's down again. Taking it to the dealer this am. Wonder what is wrong this time and how long for repair now.

Thanksgiving lost lift pump, Christmas lost CP3 and rail pressure fitting, Newyears day lost fan rail pressure fitting and much damage fronm fan coming off now this....
Old 08-10-2006, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am unsure if the 2nd Gen codes are the same as the 3rd, but according to HERE

P0111 = Intake Air / Charge Temperature Sensor Performance / Rationality

P0148 = Fuel Delivery Error

P0069 = ? (Dont know this one)
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by donhov
Truck started giving off a strong diesel smell in the cab last night. Checked oil level and it was over full.
Sounds like one or more of your injectors is leaking by and running past your rings and into your oil. Cummins don't usually make their own oil. The oil fills to the point where it exits the blowby tube and paints the underside of your truck as you drive down the road. That is the easy part to clean up.

The difficult part to repair is the damage done to the engine by using a diluted oil. It can be very significant. Have the truck towed to the dealer is what I'd do.

My HO had an injector quit working at 97.5k miles, no fuel at all. Replaced under warrantee, about to turn 100k later this week.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 AM

Follow up. Last night when I looked all around truck only thing I found was crankcase slightly overfull. Called dealer this am then drove 20 miles to dealer. Only stop was for 5 gallons fuel on the way. Got to dealer. Crankcase was full, oil all over rear and underside of truck, fuel was almost on emppty. Truck was looked at , so far no idea, dealer will drailn oil this pm and see what is wrong. Had CP-3 replaced last December at 30K miles now just short of 50K so about 20 thousand miles since replacement. Dealers mechanic that replaced did much damage to truck when he replaced, do you suppose he did something else wrong? causing pump to fail and screw up truck again. Didn't run poorly in any way so somewhat rules out injector (maybe)? Hopefully will know something later today or tomorrow am.

Any advice on buy back or Lemon Law for Michigan. This is the 4th fuel related problem, 1st - Lift pump and pressure relief, 2nd - CP-3 & pressure relief, 3rd - (fan coming off an related damage & pressure relief, 4th - now whatever this is which is fuel related again. Appreciate any info or thoughts.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:27 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Follow up. Last night when I looked all around truck only thing I found was crankcase slightly overfull. Called dealer this am then drove 20 miles to dealer. Only stop was for 5 gallons fuel on the way. Got to dealer. Crankcase was full, oil all over rear and underside of truck, fuel was almost on emppty.
Yeah? Come from where?
Truck was looked at , so far no idea, dealer will drailn oil this pm and see what is wrong. Had CP-3 replaced last December at 30K miles now just short of 50K so about 20 thousand miles since replacement. Dealers mechanic that replaced did much damage to truck when he replaced, do you suppose he did something else wrong?. causing pump to fail and screw up truck again.
He couldn't be so bad as you trusted him so much you brought it back to him.
Didn't run poorly in any way so somewhat rules out injector (maybe)? Hopefully will know something later today or tomorrow am.
Yeah, I guess it could be the CP3.
Any advice on buy back or Lemon Law for Michigan. This is the 4th fuel related problem, 1st - Lift pump and pressure relief, 2nd - CP-3 & pressure relief, 3rd - (fan coming off an related damage & pressure relief, 4th - now whatever this is which is fuel related again. Appreciate any info or thoughts.
How long have you owned this truck? It might be too late for the LL.

Now, for growing oil levels, go read;
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=fuel+in+oil or http://tinyurl.com/plpo4 and
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ht=fuel+in+oil or http://tinyurl.com/oelpf and maybe some others. Let us know how it turns out. I'm going to go pull my Fox somewhere in the morning, I'll be back in a week or so. Good Luck,
Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don -
Here's a link and excerpt from a page re. Michigan lemon law process. (Hope the link works, I can never get it to work the same way twice - loose keyboard nut)
"The buyer or lessee must have done the initial repair during the first year of delivery. The remaining three repairs, for the same defect, must occur within two years from the initial repair attempt. Alternatively, the vehicle must be out of service for repair for 30 or more days during the term of the manufacturer’s express warranty or within 1 year of delivery, whichever is earlier."
P0111 - Intake Air Sensor Rationality - your IAT on the air intake could be acting up due to oil from the filter, or it could be related too bad proportions due to:
P0069 - Boost Key On Rationality/Barometric Pressure - in my case, this was the MAP/boost sensor next to the injector rail (your XZT should be plugged into this). If the proportions of air flow/boost don't match out, then these first two codes can be set. I also had these codes thrown by my Quad box before they did an update flash on it - are you sure these are new codes, or could they have been there awhile? Sometimesthe Quad can trigger the codes, then the system self corrects, CEL goes out, but the code stays. These may be completely unrelated to your third code:
P0148 - Fuel Delivery Error - bad fuel pressure on the low side, typically thrown for a bad lift pump. However, the blowby you're getting from the crankcase vent tube suggest a malfunctioning injector, possibly a cracked body which is spewing fuel over into the engine oil (had 3 of these myself). This is not necessarily the fault of the Quad box, as they swear they do not use drastic pressure - however, many folks have had bad experiences with the quality of these injectors (I finally had one hang open, wash a cylinder, and got a new long block from the ordeal). It could very well be that the injector would be OK under stock pressure, but is weak to the point that ANY rail pressure increase above stock streses it to cracking. My opinion from much pain and study, take it for what it's worth. The three cracked injectors I had all occurred with the Quad on, so I went to the Edge J/A (no pressure increase on the version for our trucks). The cylinder wash was courtesy of fuel contamination that got past the filters - not pressure related at all.
Sorry for the long post, hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by JIMCTD; 08-11-2006 at 07:10 AM. Reason: addition
Old 08-11-2006, 03:16 PM

First off thanks for the long study and reply from Jimctd. Just got back from the dealer, so far injector #4 is badly leaking, possibly cracked? As far as the same dealer doing the repair, no way, I have taken it to a different dealer, Snethkemp Dodge, and thats why I "HAD" do drive it there, Chrysler towing services would have taken it back to the original dealer, Extreme Dodge in Jackson Mi. Again I am sure that the mechanic isn't a super great diesel mechanic, but he suggested an injector when the truck first came in, and per his fuel dye and visuial inspection sure looks like thats it. He even said he was the only one that worked on diesels there and he wasn't an expert but would not release anything that he wouldn't accept himself so that sounds good to me. He has had what training DC offers so he is qualified, but maybe noit fully experianced but looks like he hit this one on the head. As soon as he gets the injector replaced then he is ready to diagianose if anything else is wrong or damaged. Showed me the flourescent dye with the yellow glasses all around #4 injector, then started truck and almost immediatly saw oil (?) vapor start coming out of the #4 area. Problem is now injectors are on backorder from DC. They will not foot the bill for a rental car so not sure where I am. Called son (a sales manager for a dealer) and he also suggested starting a lemon law return per his boss. He faxed me the repair history so now will see what the lawyer says. Guess that is the next step. Ruined another weekend without being able to tow the camper, and think I am mentally concerned about the durability and longivety of this particullioar truck at this time.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Further info tonight

Got truck back this evening, Drove home, less than 20 miles. Got out & checked oil, very runny and smells of fuel. Did they forget to change it? Decided to drive the daylights out of it for 20 minutes, Hard on the turbe WOT for quite a bit then brought back home. Oil isn't growing so have to guess they didn't change oil. Back to dealer tomorrow AM as they open. Gonna drive it and if it blows up guess at this point it's their problem/ This is costing me much money is lost wages.

Also in another posting about warranty rip off attempts and Michigan Lemon Law rip offs from DC.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:11 AM

9 am, tuesday, just got back from dealer. Their statement was couldn't purge all fuel from the crankcase so some "may" have mixed into oil. Suggest driving for a few hundred miles then bring it back for a "MY Cost" oil change. Told them to change it now at their cost and I would pay that amound just so I have documentation of it happening.

Now something new. Got home and checked oil level still being parinoid after this last repair. Remember this is a 04.5 that blackens oil almost immediatly after starting. Oil is crystal clear just like out of the bottle. What gives, could the fuel bath in the crankcase have removed something causing the black oil. Time will tell I guess.

Don
Old 08-15-2006, 09:46 AM

Actually... When you oil is normally changed at a dealer they are in a great hurry to get you out of there. So most of the oil is drained. But usual there is some left behind. But since you oil is dilutted it drain completely out. It should take about 30-45 minutes to get the pan to stop dripping.

The pic below is my last oil change. I was in a bit of a hurry and got this...

I normally pull the drain plug and go eat lunch or find another project for about hour. That is one reason why I won't go to a quick lube place or the dealer any longer...
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the reply but yours is on 02 and they usually drain clean oil and stay clean. There have been many threads asking why the 04.5 and up get black almost instantly. The oil is not dirty, just black in color. Mine is cleaner than yours after 100 miles I put on it today. Even new the oil was black looking.

Again thanks...Don
Old 08-15-2006, 06:58 PM

Are you draining the oil while its hot? (Engine temp above 140*F)

Are you allowing it to drain completely? (Stop dripping...) Remember there is a lot of engine area that hold oil for a period of time before draining back to the pan.

I'm not certain about the 3rd gens but I bet there is a few spots where oil pools up and never drains back to the pan. That might be a reason for the black oil instantly... Shot in the dark???
Old 08-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Moparman, if you will please read the note the 04.5's are know to blacked the oil almost immediatly There have been many threads about this issue and the concessus is something related to the 3rd injector event may be the cause. I'm worried because I don't have black oil. Per another dealers diesel mechanic probably will go back to doing the black oil thing after some miles but the diesel fuel really cleaned out the engine for now was his guess.

Thanks for the advice though.

PS. I didn't change the oil the delaer did and I'm sure he let it drain all of 30 seconds prior to replacing the plug and refilling it. At least I now have oil that looks and feels like oil, even if it cost me $50 bucks. I feel more comfortable now. If something blows up it wasn't because I drove it with bad oil and I have one more record to detail my problems with. Really wish I'd saved an oil sample from the dealer repair though.

OK 2 days later, I now feel better, oil is getting dark, not as dark as normal but have put 200 miles on it and it is getting darker.

Don
Old 08-16-2006, 10:48 PM

Interesting... To say the least about the 2004 series...

But I'm glad you had the dealer at least do the work on it and it is cover by them. So if a problem does happen you know who to talk to...

Well I got to admit I learn something new today... Thanks for the learning curve...