General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Scanners & Novices

Old 09-05-2016, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scanners & Novices

I currently have a thread going in 3rd. Gen regarding my P2563 code. this issue has prompted me to purchase a scanner. I am considering the AL519.

In reading through the various threads. I read about things like 'clearing codes', 'Deleting Codes', re-setting re-gen timers etc. Can anyone point to a document that gives a layman's summary of the capabilities of scanners. I realize that not all scanners are equal but maybe there is some way of evaluating various scanners. I have read through the manual for the AL519 and I may be overlooking stuff but I don't see anything that differentiates between clearing and deleting. I also see the 'scary' warnings that deleting a code will delete the Freeze Frame Data. it's not clear to me the significance of this.

It should be obvious that I am the classic dummy where a little knowledge can sometimes be dangerous. Is there a copy of OBD Scanners for Dummies out there Thanks
Old 09-05-2016, 01:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
The freeze frame data is important in the fact that it tells you what the engine was doing when the code was set so you can better diagnose what is going on. There are some codes that can be set for a particular thing but that part not be what failed. Something associated with that part may be the issue.
Now there are some good scan tools on the market that will only read and clear codes and there are some that will do much more. The one I use the most is from scantool.net and does 90% of everything i need it to do however, if someone didnt know what they were doing, some very expensive damage could result as this particular scan tool will allow you to give commands in the basic DOS style format.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re. The freeze frame data is important
Thanks for that comment. I can ceartainly appreciate where you could go seriously astray with those scanners that allowed you to set commands and parameters. Would like to think there are a few warnings in place before fully executing the command. Again, thanks for the info.