General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Rubber Fuel Line and Diesel Fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 12:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Rubber Fuel Line and Diesel Fuel?

I just had a guy at Napa tell me that rubber fuel line, as would be used for a gas engine, will not stand up to diesel fuel. I've never heard of anything like that. Has anyone else heard this? If yes, do you have anymore info on it?<br>I have been searching the Internet for info on this and the only thing I have been able to come up with is that Biodeisel can cause problems with regular rubber fuel line, if you use 100% biodiesel.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 12-22-2002, 08:44 AM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Rubber Fuel Line and Diesel Fuel?

Hey Chris!<br><br>Your NAPA guy may indeed be correct. Diesel fuel may cause stripping of certain types of rubber hose. This will cause a gradual breakdown over time. There used to be a time when purchasing a nitrile based hose would mean that you were safe, however with recent fuel additives (increase in MTBE, I _think_) in California and Maine (and soon to be in the rest of North America, I suspect) some of the old stand-bys are no longer acceptable alternatives. <br><br>When you're purchasing hose, be sure to ask if the hose has been recently rated for diesel, as some 2002 catalogs are already out of date. Gates RLA is rated for the newer diesel fuels, and should be in your local NAPA parts books. Availability is another ball game though. Not many supply warehouses carry it, as they have to purchase it in 660ft rolls. :'(<br><br>Rod
Old 12-22-2002, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I have seen where biodiesel sites state &quot;On pre-1986 vehicles, it may be necessary to replace any rubber fuel hoses that are not made of modern synthetic materials.&quot;, but I have not seen anything like this for petro diesel. (the 1986 varies to as high as 1994, depending on the site) Maybe the assumption is that current rubber fuel line is already compatible.<br><br>I'll be researching the necessary ratings fir fuel hose to make sure I get the correct thing.<br><br>Thanks,<br>Chris
Old 12-22-2002, 04:55 PM

While the only relation between what I'm gonna say and diesel trucks is the fuel used - here goes.<br><br>I work on High Pressure Hot Water Washers (AKA Steam Cleaners) and most of them get hot via diesel. Copper tubing was the long established way of getting fuel from tank to pump. Nowadays we use braided vinyl tubing. Some folks use rubber hose, but it gets gooshy after a while.<br><br>Therefore I would probably not use rubber hose on my truck.<br><br>
Old 12-22-2002, 05:57 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

[quote author=Poor_Furd_Owner link=board=8;threadid=8645;start=0#83599 date=1040597740]<br>but it gets gooshy after a while.<br>[/quote]<br><br>This is why I love this site: The technical terminology runs rampant. <br><br>Seriously though, I should have been a little more descriptive when talking about the Gates hoses. The LOC (no longer recommended for diesel) and the RLA (recommended for diesel) is a fibre braided hose. I don't like straight rubber or vinyl for the goosh factor either.<br><br> Goosh Factor.<br><br>Rod<br>PS: I spent too much time cleaning cattle pens today... Goosh factor applies there too. <br>
Old 12-22-2002, 06:49 PM

If you have to use rubber, Power steering returnline hose is ok to use with Diesel.<br> Danny
Old 12-25-2002, 01:58 PM

NAPA has a Cloth braided high press.rubber hose that will work.<br>They sell it for auto tranny lines.<br>I have used it for years for diesel fuel lines with no probs.<br>If you can't find pm me and I'm sure I can get thier part #.<br>I just replaced the fuel lines on my CTD and 2 others with it lately with it.<br><br><br> : Eddie : 8)
Old 12-25-2002, 05:41 PM
RCW

It must depend on your local NAPA as to what they carry. I can get diesel rated, and marine diesel rated synthetic rubber hose from our local store. But it is one that also caters to large trucks and diesel farm and logging equipment.<br><br>I have used the rated stuff on all my equipment for a number of years, and have yet to have a hose related failure. I sure cannot say the same for the Dodge provided stuff.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:03 AM

Turns out the guy I was talking to at Napa didn't really know what he was talking about. I went back in there, stating what RCW said about diesel rated fuel line and another guy showed me in the catalog where the SAE rating, J30, means it IS rated for diesel fuel, but not alcohol. That's OK, I'm not ready to put the alcohol on it yet anyway.

RCW, thanks for the ammo to take back to them.

Chris