General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Dodge frame differences???

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dodge frame differences???

Can anyone tell me if the Second Gen 2500 gasser frame is the same as the diesel frame? Or if it is a strong?

Looking for a backup beeter truck, the gassers are getting frequent at the auctions, have seen a couple that I would be interested in but need to know if the frame will take what I give it for a backup unit.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:22 PM

I am pretty sure my 2001 2500 V-10 had the same frame as a Cummins truck. Extra leafs, and factory overloads, plus the stiffness reminds me of this newer one. The 360 powered truck we have at work doesn't have the factory overload springs and looks shallower up front, but It could be my bias. I wouldn't trade my diesel or V-10 for a 360 powered truck -- not nearly as powerful or tow capable. As a cheap second vehichle for parts/frame, try to find a 2500 or 3500 V-10 truck. If you don't want the iron V-10, then there are many hot rodders out there looking for them, and will bring pretty good coin. I know a wheeler-dealer here in Eastern IA who bought a 97 2500 V-10 for the axles and cab, and made up the entire purchase price by selling just the engine/tranny out of it. He sold the box a few weeks later, and had an even larger profit.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, the 360s have the unfortunate reputation of being able to deliver both poor fuel economy AND low power. The only 360 I've liked had no factory parts in it. A 360 needs higher compression and smaller-chambered heads to really perform.

What does it say when the new Hemi has 100 MORE hp from a smaller engine while ALSO having better mileage and emissions?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:43 PM

I loved the 360 with monster 2-barrel that my dad had in his 1979 Plymouth Voyager van (a real van, maxi body, W250!) That thing really had guts to it. I won a lot of stree light shoot outs with it, 3 spd A727, everything stock! With the extra body length behind the long wheelbase, it could have hooked on bicycle tires! I think the 360 was good in its day, but wasn't that great once the smog rules hit. Of course, the Magnum 5.9 in a Dakota was a powerful screamer...
Old 08-31-2004, 02:46 PM

I checked out a few old magazines, and they had to use the diesel frame for the V-10's. Early trucks with the V-10 had frame failures from the tourque and HP, necessitating the switch. According to one article, they even recalled some trucks to switch over the frames, but I didn't find any confirmation.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by zulusafari
I checked out a few old magazines, and they had to use the diesel frame for the V-10's. Early trucks with the V-10 had frame failures from the tourque and HP, necessitating the switch. According to one article, they even recalled some trucks to switch over the frames, but I didn't find any confirmation.
Thanks for the info, just what I needed. I was thinking of a low end 3/4 ton gas job as a backup. I have an almost new 318 and an extra ISB here for a future conversion. The gassers are showing up at the auctions regularly now. Need to get something for when mine is under repair and going to Waffle House My Jeep Commanche just don't seem to want to pull the trailer.