General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

Diesel anti-freeze and regular anti-freeze, whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel anti-freeze and regular anti-freeze, whats the difference?

What's the difference between diesel anti-freeze and regular anti-freeze? I know that regular anti-freeze is cheaper.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some of the antifreeze has an anti cavitation additive, I think Fleetguard
offers this and probably CAT, John Deere, etc.
Not sure of other differences.
Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
I use Shellzone All Season Anti Freeze
it is "Low Silicate"
for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines

I have not seen Low Silicate formula in most automotive antifreeze.

Jim
Old 09-06-2006, 06:45 AM

As Jim pointed out, I believe it is the Silicate formula that is the key. I have seen many "off the shelf" Coolants now fit the bill. Tractor Supply's house brand is ok to use, and Carquests brand says Low Silicate Formula, as well. Others I havent noticed yet, but as said if it comes from the HD truck garage's it should be ok. Main thing if you dont know is turn the bottle over. If it looks like a Diesel oil bottle, with specs from every major diesel manufacturer, itll be ok. If it doesnt list the Cummins spec, I wouldnt use it.

Thats I know of, the only stuff Walmart has is that FULL CHARGE for diesel engines, the others dont have any diesel specs.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/p..._cool_anti.jsp

That is what I bought to use in my engine. Made by Fleetguard. And a cool thing about the stuff, it isn't nuclear green like most anti-freeze products. Its BLUE

I don't know why we have to use low silicate anti-freeze, anyone know?
Old 09-06-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
I don't know why we have to use low silicate anti-freeze, anyone know?
This is John Deere's position - all the heavy duty diesel manufacturers are pretty much the same:
Use Low Silicate Antifreeze in Heavy Duty Diesel Engines

from John Deere product support

Many people think that all cooling system antifreeze products are the same, except some are methanol based and some are glycol based. Not so! In newer automotive applications, silicates are needed to protect aluminum engine parts and radiators from corrosion, and are used in virtually all antifreeze mixtures in varying forms and amounts.

Eventually, silicates are supposed to drop out of the coolant mix, and as long as they do so at a controlled rate, they work quite well. However, over time, the "soup" of chemicals, impurities, and corrosion by-products in a cooling system can start to behave in ways difficult to analyze or predict. When silicates begin to drop out too rapidly, they build up and form a gel.

A number of things can start this process: high silicate levels from incorrect antifreeze concentrations or improper use of coolant additives, impurities in very hard water, and severe engine temperature swings.

The main effects of the formation of this silicate gel are clogging of radiator and heater cores, and engine overheating. Silicate gel buildup greatly reduces heat transfer from the engine castings to the coolant. When the gel coats the temperature sender, engine overheating can take place without notice. Silicate gel also carriers abrasive particles to the water pump, where it wears away pump seals causing leakage and failure.

Unfortunately, there are few effective methods for cleaning the gel from an already-clogged system. Radiators must be removed and sent out for a thorough cleaning. The engine must be flushed with a caustic solution. The gel is not water soluble, so flushing with water alone will not work.

John Deere offers a Low Silicate Antifreeze, part number CXTY16034, designed for use in heavy-duty engine applications that will avoid the gel problem.
Rusty
Old 09-06-2006, 01:57 PM

Found a site that really explains the poop on anti-freeze. Try : http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...08/ai_n9453107 and see if it clarifies the issue.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My solution is simple, don't mix the orange and green and look for a line on the label that says approved for Cummins.
My local Napa usually has several brands to chose from that meet these criteria.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by infidel
My solution is simple, don't mix the orange and green and look for a line on the label that says approved for Cummins.
My local Napa usually has several brands to chose from that meet these criteria.
This is the Stuff that Cummins (Fleetguard) produces. Its the same stuff I put in my truck.

http://www.fleetguard.com/fleet/en/p..._cool_anti.jsp

Rusty,

Thanks for that explanation, I understand it a lot better now.