2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

4x4 Farm Truck Makeover

Old 03-25-2017, 07:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4x4 Farm Truck Makeover

Hey DTR members.
Hopefully I'm in the right forum. My name is Jesse and I'd like to thank the members and the site for answering 100's of my questions from the shadows of my cell phone haha...Seriously thank you!! I live in Huntington Beach California currently by way of Southern Indiana

Here she is when I picked her up. 1995 2500 SLT Laramie. I Rode my bike 125 miles north to buy this turd. Just kidding it's not a turd but it looks like **** here. Some people may have seen it on eBay for a second. It was on Los Angeles Craig's for a month too. I was really surprised no one scooped it up. Initial price was decent and negotiable to boot

There are/were few minor/intermediate "rushed" mechanical and interior repairs tho. She's far from perfect. Seeing the factory tire jack kit and the rear interior bins made me smile. Working cruise control on the ride home had me in heaven also. Rust free body with a few dings and dents. I was not scared.

My goal is to get some good used parts to church it up a bit. Returning this truck to its former glory is the focus.. Any tips or tricks are encouraged and any info on trustworthy shops in Orange County or inland empire Los Angeles area is welcome.

Speak your mind because I have no feelings to hurt haha

Anyone with used performance parts for sale feel free to hit me up.

Progress pics to follow
Old 03-25-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Nice find, a little paint and some modern electric towing mirrors it will look great. I'm currently on the lookout for a 2002 3500 4x4 6 speed. Welcome to the site. Have a look at this thread, he's done some differnt thing that might give you some ideas.. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-tread-312524/
Old 03-25-2017, 11:11 PM

Thanks busboy, I'll check it out
Originally Posted by Busboy
Nice find, a little paint and some modern electric towing mirrors it will look great. I'm currently on the lookout for a 2002 3500 4x4 6 speed. Welcome to the site. Have a look at this thread, he's done some differnt thing that might give you some ideas.. https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...-tread-312524/
Old 03-25-2017, 11:29 PM

Yuk
Yuk

First stop. Seemed like a fitting resteraunt at the moment. I know, #Yawn
First day home. Head light was out along with the missing turn signal. Fixed it temperarily until new head light assemblies show up
Gloves on!!! Haha
DGAF level 1000
Looks horrible. I'm still not scared
Quick fabric paint touch up in the dark
Day 2: finally looking like the cozy cummins I picture
I like crusty red paint. Meet my '53 Poco Loco
Old 03-26-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
I like it. I see lots of potential. Is there lots of rust underneath, or is it California dry?

You're gonna yank that carpet out, right??
Old 03-26-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If you are ordering new headlights and one turn signal light then you might want to get "sport" headlights and turn signal lights. The headlights are way better and give much more light, the turn signal lights for the sport are slightly different in the way they fit.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:59 PM

No rust at all just a little bondo on the drivers front fender and drivers rear where it looks to have been subject to blow out.
Originally Posted by NJTman
I like it. I see lots of potential. Is there lots of rust underneath, or is it California dry?

You're gonna yank that carpet out, right??
Old 03-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Am I adding to my thread wrong? I have no idea
Old 03-26-2017, 03:07 PM

Yea I'll be taking the carpet out. Ultimate goal would grabbing a 2002 interior setup from a gasser
Originally Posted by Jesse House
No rust at all just a little bondo on the drivers front fender and drivers rear where it looks to have been subject to blow out.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:33 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Looks like you met Lary.

Word of advice... Listen to him the first time. He means it. This site doesn't tolerate any vulgarity, including words or letters that represent it.

( I figured that out the hard way )

And he is a Really great guy. Once you get a few messages from him you'll figure that out.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Nice looking truck, most of us wish we had that solid a start.

Since it can be a bit confusing, to add to what Lary said, we also don't tolerate profanity disguised, for instance **** where solid fecal matter logically fits counts the same. This takes a bit to get into the mindset, let me tell you, I can, and do, make Sailors blush. I just don't do it here....... Stick around though, it is actually kind of neat after a while, you don't even miss those words.

One other thing to consider, since you look to need some of the front bumper, you might check out the 4th gen bumper conversion, that really sharpens them up!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM

I'm gonna see if I can edit that fecal matter thing. I didn't realize I said that. I have to go through and edit and see if I missed something. If I used profanity it was subconscious. I'll fix it.

Yea the bumper conversion looks awesome. I really do love these trucks because there are so many of the gassers on the road parts are plentiful.

Im originally from the Midwest and I have experienced the rust belt vehicles first hand. People are really good at hiding it. First hand experience when I bought my first car haha. Lil sneaky Swiss cheese cover up.

Originally Posted by patdaly
Nice looking truck, most of us wish we had that solid a start.

Since it can be a bit confusing, to add to what Lary said, we also don't tolerate profanity disguised, for instance **** where solid fecal matter logically fits counts the same. This takes a bit to get into the mindset, let me tell you, I can, and do, make Sailors blush. I just don't do it here....... Stick around though, it is actually kind of neat after a while, you don't even miss those words.

One other thing to consider, since you look to need some of the front bumper, you might check out the 4th gen bumper conversion, that really sharpens them up!
Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 AM

Thanks NJT. I'm green horn. I guess I got my first mistake out of the way immediately haha. I used the acronyms and a short cut version fecal matter

Originally Posted by NJTman
Looks like you met Lary.

Word of advice... Listen to him the first time. He means it. This site doesn't tolerate any vulgarity, including words or letters that represent it.

( I figured that out the hard way )

And he is a Really great guy. Once you get a few messages from him you'll figure that out.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:00 AM

Waste of time really but I'm gonna squeeze some color out of the hood, fenders, doors and roof. I like having the crappy paint tho. Door dings and scratchs bring it on haha.
Quick spot looking better already.

How does it to this? Geez. I would never let my vehicle fade away like this but I'm glad some people do because it keeps me busy and is good for my pockets. Vehicle abuse should be a crime haha
200 grit #Yawn

Chevy Alcoa wheels and caps look pretty good to me but I'm looking for the spare 16" steels they used for spares. I might have mentioned that before.

Tough as nails like a hockey player with a missing tooth. 235/85/16 pizza cutter M/T's are on the wish list
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 09:31 AM

Head lights and bumper trim look pretty good. It's Chinese stuff. I wish I could afford oem but I had to pull the trigger on some cheap stuff
Bumper adjustment coming right up haha. Clearanced the rear caps to fit over the axles. Bow tie cover up soon. Kinda funny with the chevy wheels tho.
Snorkel inspiration. I'm gonna give a DIY style snorkel install a try really soon.
I like this thing but I think it's a gasser. Looks like 5 lug

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4x4 Farm Truck Makeover