General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2nd Gen vs 3rd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by John_P
For any of you DTR Members that are following or reading this thread and the debate between myself and MR. KATOOM here is an interesting study on lubricity testing of diesel fuel additives. I received this from a friend of mine on another popular diesel website.

While MR. KATOOM is fond of his "Wal-Mart" 2-stroke oil to use as an additive I would bring to your attention what this test says about that 2-stroke oil;
that being; NOT ULSD COMPLIANT, MAY DAMAGE LATER MODEL (2005+) OR NEWER FUEL SYSTEMS!

Also, while the "Stanadyne Performance Formula" may NOT be in the top ten (10) of this test and is above the HFRR "good range" I would note that the
"Stanadyne Lubricity Formula" (which I also use) is right below MR. KATOOM'S 2-stroke oil (Rated #8) and is also ULSD COMPATIBLE!

Here is the info I received on the TOP TEN diesel fuel additives according to this particular test:
Very true John that anyone with a diesel truck using emissions components must be very cautious about what lubrication additives they should use for sake of damaging those emissions components. 2-stroke is not emissions compliant simply because its an oil. So not using 2SO, or any oil, as a fuel lubricant applies to any Dodge Cummins year 2003+ because even though the catalytic converter didnt return until 2004.5, the 2003+ CA models had them. If the trucks arent CA models then you can use 2SO in the appropriate years without catalytic converters or EGR's.

As for the lubricity test you posted..... Well its seems somethings off with it because the real test is much longer and compares many more additives. Here's the link to the original test: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

You'll see that 2-stroke is #7 where Stanadyne Lubricity Formula is #8. But.....Stanadyne "Performance" Formula is #12 on the list.

And its also worth pointing out that the test results for 2-stroke are based on a 200:1 ratio 16.64 oz/tank ratio. Most anyone I've heard of who uses 2SO (including me) use about a quart per tank which would essentially double the effective lubricity results of the test. A gallon of Super Tech Outboard 2-cycle TC-W3 costs about $12. Thats around $4 per tank.

Last thing I'll point out between the two products is cetane levels. Any products which increases cetane will cause a reduction in fuel mileage.

Good discussion though.....and I hope some other members are benefiting.
Old 02-26-2017, 11:36 PM
Banned

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts
I would argue the opinion that using twice the rate at which the test was performed with 2 cycle oil would double the lubrication result. If this was the case then at 1 point multiplying the amount of oil in the test would take the HFFR score to a zero. I can nearlly guarantee this would not be the case.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:33 AM

I agree that was possibly an overstatement..... How much more lubrication value would have to be tested for any accurate statement.

However, by increasing the ratio of 2SO in fuel for things like motorcycles, chainsaws, etc... adds more lubricity, I'd only assume the same rule would apply.
The only problem though in those situations can be that gasoline engines cant combust oil as efficiently as diesel engines and start puking raw material out the exhaust if the ratio is too rich.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
KATOOM:

With regards to that lubricity study, I posted what my friend sent me. So, don't go trying to imply that I left out information. He had told me there was a long list but I told him to just give me the TOP TEN. And you can go "pound your chest" on the Stanadyne Performance Formula being number #12 if you want to. Personally,.....I could care less what you think Katoom.

Just so the DTR Members here know, my 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve had about 250,000 miles on it when Scheid Diesel tore it down to build it up for heavy drag racing. That truck had a combination of Stanadyne Additives (Performance Formula AND Lubricity Formula) used since new. At that time my power level was about 500 H.P./1000 TQ. The truck was used to tow my heavy trailers (10,000+lbs.) and I also drag raced it. At the teardown, that original block did not even have to be bored out!! We went back with the original stock pistons. In fact I still have that block but later went with a new Cummins Block due to going WAY UP on H.P. for reliability reasons. That alone told me alot about Stanadyne Products. Also, Scheid Diesel uses the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in their Scheid Diesel Dragster and also their two (2) Super Stock Pulling Trucks. The Scheid Diesel Dragster holds the U.S. NHRA Record for being the fastest rear engine diesel dragster! Their two (2) Super Stock Pulling Trucks also hold numerous championships and wins.

One last thing Katoom and then I am done with this thread. You repeatedly mention how bad the NEW factory VP-44 Pumps are/were. Here is what you wrote:
__________________________________________________ _____________
Quote by KATOOM:

"You ONLY had brand new factory Bosch VP's on your truck, and those units were never going to be as good as the updated reman units available for the past 7-8 years."
__________________________________________________ ______________

ONLY had BRAND NEW factory Bosch VP-44 on my truck???? WOW! The fact is Katoom there are MANY of those FACTORY VP-44 Pumps that lasted 250,000+ miles and I have some friends who are in that area, BUT, unfortunately the pumps I got DID NOT do that well. Also, the
LAST VP-44 that was on my truck WAS a reman, built by "Blue Chip Diesel."
At the time they were a pretty good company that was trying to make the pumps better. They concentrated on alot of the problems they saw with those pumps and tried to make them better. Areas such as the rotors seizing, drive plates breaking, electronic failures etc. While that VP-44 pump did last a little longer, it eventually failed on the new owner of my 2002 also.

So,....as I said, "I rest me case." The DTR Members will have to decide for themselves if they want to buy used 1998.5-2002 Dodge CTD 24 valve pickups. They now know how I fell about it.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:15 AM

Seriously John.....what's your deal??? This is/was just a friendly conversation. Never did I imply or state that you were wrong or manipulated test results or anything of the sort. Sharing information and experiences is what these forums are all about.

Sorry you feel the need to be so strangely defensive about whatever I apparently did to upset you.
Nonetheless.....I still thought it was a good discussion.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
__________________________________________________ ________________
Quote by KATOOM:

"As for the lubricity test you posted..... Well its seems somethings off with it because the real test is much longer and compares many more additives. Here's the link to the original test: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums."
__________________________________________________ ________________

"Somethings' OFF WITH IT???" There you go Katoom!

I think this thread has about "run it's course,"....................