Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

WMO with less smoke....

Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WMO with less smoke....

I am currently running a 50/50 blend of D2 and wmo/hyrdo oil. I have noticed that I do have a white haze during idle that is particularly heavy before the engine reaches operating temp. I am currently heating up the oil, running it through several filters, and then a centrifuge, and then letting it settle before mixing it in a 300 gallon transfer tank. I am thinking there might be several things I can do to reduce smoke and was wanting some input from people more versed in this area than me.

1. The first thing I am thinking of doing is cutting my WMO with 15% RUG, letting it settle, and then mixing it 50/50 with D2. I'm thinking the RUG might allow for more complete burn and then it out some.

2. I'm not sure what I would be looking for at this point, but I am considering purchasing a hydrometer and checking my final mixture to see how it's specific gravity compares to regular D2

3. Since WMO tends to take longer to burn, I am thinking that the purchase of a Smarty where fuel timing could be advanced would give the fuel longer time for more complete combustion.

These are just speculation on my part but please anyone having experience doing any or all 3 of these things let me know what worked best for you. The smoke doesn't b other me as much as the thought of coking up my injectors.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably don't want the stuff with alcohol in it either, doubt the cummins fuel system is "E" anything compatible.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM

the only way to reduce then smoke is to blend in less oil... try 40% wmo... I mix 15% rug and still have white smoke... I also add power service additive to my blend as well...
Old 12-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
iwhitne is correct... I experimented with filtering WMO and no amount of filtering will change the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust. Fortunately, before I wasted a whole lot of time, energy and resources, I tried some new surplus 15/40 Rotella I had free access to and ran 20 gallons through my heated WVO bed tank ... sure enough the 15/40 smoked just as much as the WMO. You'll have to keep experimenting/blending the WMO with Diesel to a point you feel comfortable with, without drawing too much attention to yourself or the EPA (or concentrate your efforts on burning WVO or B100). Trust me, if you blow enough smoke long enough, someone is going to call it in. Maybe in time someone here on the DTR boards will figure out a good WMO to Diesel ratio (or some other inexpensive magic additive) which reduce the intense smoke when running high precentages of WMO(?)

Incidentally, I ran across a DTR post a while back which mentioned a well known Diesel engine manufacturer who claimes 7% WMO to Diesel is the maximum safe range recommended for those wanting to recycle their WMO by burning it in their engines... perhaps a DTR search on those keywords will yield something worthwhile.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM

I too have been trying to come up with a blend. I tried 50/50 but found too much smoke. I have been blending less and less WMO and am down to about 20% and still have too much smoke. I will be pulling my injectors in about a week to get them set up/rebuilt. I will again try the 20% to see if I can raise the % any higher once the injectors have be gone over. My old 93 dodge has about 260,000 miles on it and the injectors have never been looked at. I will let y'all know what happens after the they get checked out. I would like to run at least 30%.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Right now I run 50/50, with 7.5% Rug added, and a bottle of PS, and my truck will haze when it's cold, and smoke heavy under hard acceleration, but it's not bad at all really, my fuel milage has increased since it is forcing me to be easier on the skinny pedal. I did recently add a vulcan 2 micron filter to my truck as well, just for added safety.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have mentioned running 15% RUG with WMO and still having too much smoke. 15% isn't enough. You need at least 20% RUG to get the viscosity close to that of regular diesel (D2). It also depends on the oil weight and temperature. Heavier oils and colder temperatures require more thinning of the oil. D2 is more viscous than RUG, so it takes a lot more D2 to lower the viscosity enough, and it never cuts it all the way down to that of D2. I know this guy Steve who runs nothing but WMO with 20% RUG in his Ford truck in Florida without any problems or smokey issues. He also lives off grid and powers his house with a diesel generator running on WMO, so he has lots of experience with it. He also says you MUST vigorously mix the gasoline into the oil with something like a paint mixer for a few minutes or more depending on how much you have. The vigorous mixing makes it run smoother and maybe less smokey. You should read his article about making black diesel.