Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Add hydrogen for better mpg

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Where is Dakota001?
he chimed in 2007 with 5 posts. Did he blow himself up?
great thread!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only way I could picture this working is if somehow that gas released had enough energy to offset the fuel used to power the reaction. Youd have to calculate the electricity used, the amount of fuel used to generate it, the amount of gas released and the energy content of it in order to see if its worthwhile. Im way too lazy to look all that up, lol.
My gut instinct tells me that if there was free energy to be had, physics would be turned on its head.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't taken time in a while to test my cell on a vehicle that is driving the same round trip consistently. Has anyone else?
Old 01-28-2014, 04:37 PM

so with 46 pages to read, whats the verdict? Is it worth a boost in mpg? My truck is basically only used towing on the hiway...and am in the hunt for mpg. It does ok...but a mpg here and there ad up to a savings on 5000 mile trips.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there is no boost in mpg, it only decreases mpg by a small amount determined by the cell current draw
Old 03-02-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Strange that this concept has been around since Kennedy was president yet not a single auto manufacturer in all the world has manufactured a single vehicle with a hydrogen generator onboard. Why is that? Surely with all the emissions standards and minimum fuel mileage requirements the automotive industry is faced with, with all their greatest minds hard at work, they of all people would, should, MUST use this technology!!!..... If it worked.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The only people it works for are those who invested a lot of time and effort and they refuse to believe they wasted both the money and the time.

You can convince yourself of almost anything if you have the proper motivation....
Old 04-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Chapter President

Yes you can convince yourself.

Just imposing your ideas on others is not convincing without proof. I've seen a consistent 15% improvement on some vehicles.
Others have also.
http://discoverhydrogen.com/blog/200...s-skeptic.html
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM
Chapter President

Here is a great description of what the hydrogen does to improve mpg.

How an HHO generator works and helps you save gas

An HHO or Brown gas generator is an interesting and often misunderstood technology.
The Brown gas generator uses electrolysis to split water (H2O) into it´s base molecules, 2 hydrogen and 1 oxygen molecule.
This is why it is often referred to as an HHO gas generator.The HHO in itself is not an alternative to gasoline but a additive
to boost the efficiency of the engine. Gasoline engines are unfortunately not burning gasoline to its full potential. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_efficiencyThe average gasoline engine in a car is about 18% to 20% efficient. That leaves a lot of room for improvement and Brown gas is one good way of improving the efficiency. The reason for this is simple, the hydrogen is highly flammable much more so than gasoline so when your engine ignites the hydrogen the explosion ignites the gasoline with much better results (cleaner, less waste and fewer emissions) than it would otherwise have done.

Some basics the burn speed of hydrogen is 0.098 to 0.197 ft/min (3 to 6 cm/min) compared
gasoline´s 0.00656 to 0.0295 ft/min (0.2 to 0.9 cm/min).

The hydrogen explosion is so fast that it fills the combustion cylinder at least 3 times faster then the gasoline explosion and subsequent ignites the gasoline from all directions (it is like putting fuel on a fire), instead of just a spark in one end of the combustion chamber, and we would like to do that because the gasoline only has a short time in the combustion cylinder and if its not fully burnt in that short amount of time then it just goes out the exhaust and is lost.It is also preferable to ignite all of the gasoline when it is under maximum compression in combustion cylinder to get the maximum amount of energy out of it (this is a small time window), once the piston starts going down the energy transfer from the explosion to the engine becomes less efficient.

The hydrogen´s higher burn temperature and explosive force is such that it cleans the soot that collects in the engine (it is like having the engine consistently cleaned) and with a cleaner engine you get better mileage and fewer oil changes .
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Yes you can run a vehicle on hydrogen, however it has been proven that these kits don't produce enough to produce any measureable results. Do some research, these kits are a scam and the people pushing them are either selling them or are a victim and refusing to see the truth.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I produce brown gas too! Especially after eating deviled eggs! Unfortunately it hasn't improved fuel economy whatsoever! I can't believe this thread is still going on! Can we convert this forum thread to something useful like fishing techniques or something? I hear a K-14 with a sardine wrap 18" off the bottom in 12-20' of water is an excellent way to catch spring Chinook!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh, and I like that we're using YouTube screen names instead of the names of real people to verify whether or not HHO works.

Seriously?

-Kris
Old 12-21-2014, 10:10 PM
Chapter President

It's not the volume of hydrogen that is a problem. It's just like the diesel fuel not being used efficiently. The hydrogen is burning so fast and there is still to much diesel so minimal gains in mpg. With the EFI live maybe it will be possible to tune the motor to use the hydrogen efficiently also. On the early third gens they were changing the timing sensor position to gain mpg with just diesel. Being able to inject the hydrogen at the right time with the diesel would make a huge difference but since hydrogen is flowing in with the intake air it makes it very hard to get a good burn without major changes to amount and time of diesel injection. There are people modifying the ecms on cars and seeing much better mpg. It's not as easy as most would like to think including me. It does make a difference in mpg, but it varies sometimes drastically from one diesel vehicle to another just because of small variations in how the truck happens to be set up just like one truck same yr and model gets 15 and another 20mpg. The truck getting 20mpg might see 3mpg improvement and the 15mpg truck none with the hydrogen added. I've seen 15% improvements on some cars and none on others. It's not that we need a huge amount as some think it's not volume that's the real problem it's how it's burning.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is worse than Sam the Shrew.
Or the concrete bedliner.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM

Break out the hip waders.

Quick Reply: Add hydrogen for better mpg