Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

B3.3T Jeep YJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 07:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input.

I got the intercooler in last night. I'm pretty certain I've voided the warranty on the engine at this point . The photo link has the updated pictures toward the bottom of the page and they begin with "Intercooler".

It actually fits really good. I had to modify the portion of the intercooler which connects at the turbo (had to shorten it a bit). Otherwise it's a near perfect fit. The hood scoop has adequate room so it's not contacting the intercooler. Think I can do better in directing airflow over the intercooler as my thermometer probe on top of the intercooler shows it being ~20 degrees above ambient when the engine is at operating conditions and I'm driving down the road.

Data points: Max boost is the same. No noticeable increase in turbo lag (actually the boost needle moves so fast I'ld almost say there was no lag). Max EGT's have dropped from ~960-970 F to ~900 F. Think if I was maxing out the engine for minutes on end the max EGT's would continue to drift up some more (need better airflow over the intercooler?). With the intercooler the max EGT goes to about 880 and slowly drifts up to 900 over the course I did my testing pre/post intercooler. Without the intercooler the EGT's hit 960-970 pretty fast and stayed there.

In regards to adding fuel the Cummins guy I talked with said staying below 1200 "should be safe".

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove those anti-tampering covers on the injection pump screws? I think they're just plastic caps and was going to use my dremel tool and cut them off. Is there a better way?
Old 09-29-2006, 07:50 AM

What a neat project. I've wondered why the 3.3s weren't used more often for this type of swap. The new ones are common rail and rated at 110 hp.
Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 AM

After much fussing around this weekend I discovered just how bad the aerodynamics of the jeep really are. . .

I had been trying to get air to enter through the front of the hood scoop and go through and out the bottom of the intercooler. The more I tried to isolate the path the hotter the air going through the intercooler became (actually, the air was flowing out the front of the hood scoop). I started taping pieces of string on and around my hood so I could watch them while going down the road to see what the wind was doing. Turns out the best place to get air flow is up by the windshield. The wind seems to curl as it hits the windshield and push down and forward along the hood. I'm going to have to get another $50 hood scoop from Summit as I've carved this one up pretty good. Anyway, I now have air flowing through the intercooler that's about ~5 degrees above ambient. Think I'll call that good for now.
The following users liked this post:
evan3000 (05-11-2017)
Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 AM

Removed the head of the anti tampering device on the fuel pump last night. That took longer than I expected and took ~8 heavy duty cutting disks on my dremel tool to accomplish. I've added a picture showing a close up of the injection pump with the location of the fueling screw and also the max rpm screw (which I haven't messed with and it still has it's anti tamper cover on).

Turned the fueling screw 1/2 turn clockwise so far. Noticeable increase in torque and my EGT's with the intercooler are only maxing out at around 980 F on a 3rd gear pull up the hill I've been using for testing. Boost is the same since I'm not messing with the waste gate. No visible smoke from the exhaust during the pulls. I'll probably turn it another 1/4 to 1/2 turn today and check things out and report more tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:33 AM

Another 1/4 turn. Yesterday afternoon was quite hot here for this time of year ~ 90+ F. The air temp was warmer than my previous tests. The max EGT's seem to occur when I'm in overdrive and at the torque peak (1600 rpm) and accelerating up a long hill. In these cases I can get the EGT's to about 1050 F. On the test hill I've been using for baseline EGT's I'm now peaking at about 990 -1000 F.

The jeep has gone from "adequate" to down right "snappy".

Sir, put down the 6mm socket and step away from the injection pump
Old 10-04-2006, 07:34 AM

Too Cool!

How has your mileage been affected?
Old 10-04-2006, 07:55 AM

Don't know yet. I've been doing lots of short runs to test air ducting to the intercooler, and then lots of max fueling runs to test EGT's. I would be surprised if I break 30 mpg on my next fill up. I'm hoping with the intercooler that I should see a small improvement in fuel economy (if I can stay out of the fuel). I'll report back after I get a couple fill ups.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post some pics, this sounds awesome
Old 10-05-2006, 07:46 AM

never mind I found the link to the pics, nice work!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:50 AM

Filled up yesterday. Hand calculated 30.2 mpg. I'm a little surprised it was this good considering all the short test runs and full fuel tests I was doing. This bodes well . . .

Average fuel economy is right at 30.0 with a low of 26.3 and a high of 33.7. This is over the last three months and ~2900 mls.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:12 AM

I found this site today via a link on the Jeep2Diesel site I help admin.

Pretty cool repower...tell me...is there a web resourse that identifies what SAE# an engine falls under?

Forgive me...I have very little knowledge (beyond the basics) about industrial engines.

For example: Would the 3.9 (4BT) be considered "industrial" and have an "SAE" numbered bellhousing? I know that these have been used in truck applications and that the bellhousing should be the same as the 6BT, but I am curious as to where I can find more info on the SAE ratings. (?)
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 AM

How loud is the B3.3T ? Is it loud like a 12v ? What about driving down the road ?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That project is really coming along for you--you've got a great product to show for all your hard work That intercooler looks like it grew there, too. JMO, but you'd be miles ahead with a front mount intercooler, though I'm not sure what your space constraints are. I see you're quickly learning how addictive the power and economy of a diesel is. Even with the pump fully maxed, my mileage has stayed the same or gotten better, overall. Please keep us updated on your progress--this is a fascinating project!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:55 AM

Thanks.

I was told the B3.3 is a completely different animal than the 3.9/5.9 engines and none of the adapters made to connect the 3.9/5.9 to automotive transmissions would work (I was told this by those I consider experts and did not pursue that avenue any further). The B3.3 comes in a variety of SAE housings the last time I checked. Most engine manufacturers list the bellhousing types in the engine descriptions. Phoenix Castings has adapters for many types of SAE to automotive style housings.

I believe there are industrial versions of the 3.9/5.9 but I am by no means an expert in that area.

Originally Posted by Jeeped
I found this site today via a link on the Jeep2Diesel site I help admin.

Pretty cool repower...tell me...is there a web resourse that identifies what SAE# an engine falls under?

Forgive me...I have very little knowledge (beyond the basics) about industrial engines.

For example: Would the 3.9 (4BT) be considered "industrial" and have an "SAE" numbered bellhousing? I know that these have been used in truck applications and that the bellhousing should be the same as the 6BT, but I am curious as to where I can find more info on the SAE ratings. (?)
Old 10-06-2006, 11:01 AM

I'm a bit embarresed to say I've never ridden in a 12V. It's louder than my VW and common rail Cummins but quieter than my Kubota. Once you get above idle it's actually pretty descent, and above 40 mph the wind noise from the Jeep dominates (have I mentioned how aerodynamic the jeep isn't).

Originally Posted by mouseguy
How loud is the B3.3T ? Is it loud like a 12v ? What about driving down the road ?

Quick Reply: B3.3T Jeep YJ