Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

B3.3T Jeep YJ

Old 10-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dodge ram cummins turbo clamps vclamp Brand new, 1 still in open package,not sure what they all fit or the exact year but 1 has part # 04761274 , other is 52028977aa.

i found this on e-bay does this look like the part numbers or number for the exhaust flang??
Old 10-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Did a second oil analysis. Specifically wanted to see if the modified injectors were causing any issues. Here’s the info:

Oil Mobil 5w-40 CI4+ full synthetic oil
~4200 mls on oil (almost all of it with the modified injectors)
~ 14500 mls on engine

where do you send the oil?
is i all of th oil you drain or only a quart?
is there a special container you need to send it in with??

thanks for info
Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been using the local CAT dealership (Altorfer). It costs ~$12. The kits have two plastic containers. The smaller one (might be about 3/4 cup) fits inside the larger one. The larger one has a self addressed and postage paid label for mailing purposes. On this sample I didn't change the oil, but just drained some out and caught a sample from the stream.

Originally Posted by 91 toy extracab
Did a second oil analysis. Specifically wanted to see if the modified injectors were causing any issues. Here’s the info:

Oil Mobil 5w-40 CI4+ full synthetic oil
~4200 mls on oil (almost all of it with the modified injectors)
~ 14500 mls on engine

where do you send the oil?
is i all of th oil you drain or only a quart?
is there a special container you need to send it in with??

thanks for info
Old 10-16-2007, 07:17 AM

Don't have the pn handy for what I used. But as I recal it was the same clamp used on the 4bt and 6bt engines. There was also a special adapter piece that mated with the engine turbo outlet that was held in place with this type of clamp. The exhaust was then welded to this adapter piece.

Originally Posted by 91 toy extracab
Dodge ram cummins turbo clamps vclamp Brand new, 1 still in open package,not sure what they all fit or the exact year but 1 has part # 04761274 , other is 52028977aa.

i found this on e-bay does this look like the part numbers or number for the exhaust flang??
Old 10-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Hey TDI -
HOw about a video of the jeep starting up and running? I've spent two days reading this thread and am dying to hear it start up and run. I just wished I lived in the midwest, perhaps I'd actually get to see it drive by.

Jason
Old 10-31-2007, 07:53 AM

I could probably do that. I have a cheapo digital camera with mpeg video capability, but it's not great quality. I'll see what I can come up with. I should include the most exciting thing about the whole driving experience in the video -- which is the shut-down. The engine shakes the jeep pretty good when it quits running .

Any of you guys that have put the 4BT (3.9) in jeeps/trucks (or seen conversions like this) have this shut down jitter bug phenomena? It's similiar to how my Kubota diesel tractor stops. The VW has an "anti shudder" valve which essentially shuts off oxygen to the cylinders during shut down which gives it a much more elegant death. I kinda like the whole shudder thing in the jeep because it's such an un-refined vehicle to begin with. But if you were trying to make a more civilized conversion I think this aspect could be a detraction from the desired goal.

Originally Posted by bigbillyboy
Hey TDI -
HOw about a video of the jeep starting up and running? I've spent two days reading this thread and am dying to hear it start up and run. I just wished I lived in the midwest, perhaps I'd actually get to see it drive by.

Jason
Old 11-01-2007, 01:16 AM

the shutdown sounds like all of the big trucks at work....
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 AM

This is my quick video I took last night when I got back from work. The camera couldn't maintain focus very well, but you can hear what things sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdnPFtvVjPU
Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 AM

that's great. You have created some serious envy.....

I really enjoyed your project and writeup. About how long did the swap take from start to finish?

You've done some great work and created a mini diesel internet following.

Jason
Old 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM

Thanks, but I think you're giving me more credit than I deserve. I didn't mean to create envy, but to hopefully show another possible (and perhaps easier to implement) option for converting an ineffecient gas engine powered vehicle into an efficient diesel powered vehicle.

As far as the start to finish time, it's hard to say. It's been ~1.5 yrs and my memory isn't as clear on some of the details. If you mean the time between tearing into the jeep and it's first maiden voyage then about a month of part time work (a couple hrs after work some nights, several hrs on weekends, etc., many trips to part stores).

Originally Posted by bigbillyboy
that's great. You have created some serious envy.....

I really enjoyed your project and writeup. About how long did the swap take from start to finish?

You've done some great work and created a mini diesel internet following.

Jason
Old 11-02-2007, 11:07 AM

What I appreciate most about this "build up" is that you went for all of the things I think are important:
1. Exceptional fuel economy for a vehicle that is not a Prius or Civic
2. "bolt up" solutions and not cobbled together one-off engineering
3. The fact that it maintains daily driver status
4. The stone cold reliability of a proven engine platform

You obviously put a lot of thought into this and have renewed my interest in pursuing a project of this nature.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM

i would love to put one of these or a 3.9 in my 98 jeep once the 4.0 gasser takes a dive.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:22 AM

Some updates.

We’ve had some good Iowa winter so far. Lots of snow/sleet/ice/cold/wind. Been running ~ B20-40 due to the cold. The modified injectors have not seemed to negatively impact the cold start performance of the jeep, which is good. The average fuel economy for back and forth to work driving the past month has dropped into the ~30 mpg area.

Did another oil analysis to check the impact of the modified injectors on the engine. The oil is the same from the last report but has an additional ~2 months more driving on it in some very cold, wintry conditions. It’s ~6 months on the oil and a little over 6000 mls.

I’m glad to see the injectors seem to be doing a good job of atomizing the fuel as there’s no soot/fuel getting into the oil.

Mobile 1 5w-40 CI-4+

Wear Metals
AL 2
Ca 2570
Cr 0
Cu 2
Fe 10
Pb 3
Mg 485
Mo 5
Ni 0
P 1247
K 5
Si 13
Na 1
Sn 0
Zn 1369

Oil Condition/Particle Count (ct/ml)
Soot 0
Oxidation 18
Nitration 8
Sulfation 19
Water Neg
Antifreeze Neg
Fuel Neg
Vis @ 40C 13.8
Old 12-21-2007, 08:44 AM

Yup, this is me still jealous.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:49 PM

First off, I've been watching the conversion since you started posting it. I think you've done an amazing job and continue to do so. You are supporting America and doing something that many people will be able to do.

Just wondering about how much money and time you have put into the project up to this point. I'm thinking of doing it to a Cherokee. I'm not very mechanically savy, but I think I could have help from a couple of mechanic friends. Thanks in advance for the info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B3.3T Jeep YJ