Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.

Hey Guys,
I'm new to the forum. But, not new to Dodge trucks, Jeeps, and the CTD. I have recently completed the 4bt conversion on my 77 Ramcharger. I have been building the RC for the last six years.
I started off by lifting it 5 inches and swapping in rebuilt D60s out of a 78 Dodge W300. While rebuilding the axles, I installed a Detroit Truetrac in the front D60 and a Detroit Locker in the rear HD60.
After the lift and axle swap, I discovered by running the VIN that my RC was originally a BB 440 truck. A previous owner had yanked the 440 and installed a 360. By the time I bought the RC, the 360 had become noisy and tired. That's when I got the idea of a 4bt swap into the RC and started researching and buying parts one or two at a time. By June of this year, I had collected most everything I needed to start the conversion and completed it by the end of September.
Here's what I ended up with...4bt, rebuilt 46rh, NP241, hybrid 205/241 shifter, and Dodge Intrepid electric radiator fans. A host of other mods and nickels and dimes as well.
I've discovered that the 4bt in stock configuration is a bit under powered. I'll be installing the 366 (3200 governor) spring in the VE pump and turning up the pump shortly.
Anyway, here's a pic and video.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails 77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.-poser2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Way cool! If I could have found a decent pop top Ramcharger, I would probably have mine done by now as well.

As it was, like you say, going topless is a MAJOR hoot, so when I finally found a 72 Blazer in my price range that wasn't slap rusted away, I changed directions.

The 4Bt would be just about right without the oversized tires, but yours looks so good, I would have done the same thing ( My Blazer is only running 33's ), and bumped up the power. Just for grins, have you driven it enough yet to get some mileage figures?
Old 11-02-2013, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Way cool! If I could have found a decent pop top Ramcharger, I would probably have mine done by now as well.

As it was, like you say, going topless is a MAJOR hoot, so when I finally found a 72 Blazer in my price range that wasn't slap rusted away, I changed directions.

The 4Bt would be just about right without the oversized tires, but yours looks so good, I would have done the same thing ( My Blazer is only running 33's ), and bumped up the power. Just for grins, have you driven it enough yet to get some mileage figures?
It took me four years to find a RC that wasn't rusted to bad. But, had I come across a 72 thru 75 Blazer with the full open top, I would have jumped on that too. Love those old Blazers.
I haven't done enough driving to calculate MPGs yet. I will eventually. But, even with 4.10s and the 35s, the rpms are high on the highway even in overdrive. I don't have a working tach yet. But, I could hear it at 65 and 70 MPH. I could probably run 37s to keep the rpms down. But, 35s are my limit.

Link removed rules violation
Old 05-18-2014, 12:48 AM

Emblems

Since I have owned the RC, I have wanted to put the 'Power Wagon" emblems on the bevels of the bird bath hood. But, the RC is not a Power Wagon. And, I finally came to the conclusion that it would be inappropriate.
However, I did find some emblems that I thought would be appropriate.
What do you guys think?
I've had them for while. I snagged them off a wrecked 94 thru 98 CTD while at a salvage yard looking for plugs/pigtails for the Intrepid electric radiator fans. Almost forgot I had them.
I originally thought about placing them below the Ramcharger emblem on the fenders. But, later thought they would be perfect on the bird bath hood. Works for me.
Attached Thumbnails 77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.-img_1510.jpg  
Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Great looking project. And I would have done the same thing with the emblems on the bird bath hood..
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Great looking project. And I would have done the same thing with the emblems on the bird bath hood..
Thanks Buddy. You've got a great build going yourself. It may take me awhile to read through your entire thread. But, I did see that you dropped a bird bath hood on your now W350.
Old 05-31-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice! Man you are skilled.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by justen920
Very nice! Man you are skilled.
Not really. But, I appreciate it. A bit of research and the right tools certainly helped.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Pretty cool Mike.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by mknittle
Pretty cool Mike.
Thanks Mark. I've been out of work for awhile and was just getting ready to put it on Ebay when I landed a new job last week. Got a nice raise as well. So, I'll be continuing with further upgrades.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:20 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by J10Mike
Thanks Mark. I've been out of work for awhile and was just getting ready to put it on Ebay when I landed a new job last week. Got a nice raise as well. So, I'll be continuing with further upgrades.
Talk about just in the nick of time. I read your thread on RCC? back when you started on the ramcharger. Glad to see it is progressing.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:32 PM

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
J10Mike, I'm looking at making a RC my next project. Did you just do a swap the engine and not upgrade the axles and drivetrain? The truck I'm looking at now has a 318 in it and is a 4x4, wondering what would need to be done to swap in a 6bt or even the 4bt. I was able to get 32mpg out of the 4bt I sold not to long ago. Wishing I still had it now that my wife wants a more family fledge vehicle. If you have a thread, post it up, curious to see what the project intails.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by bannerd
J10Mike, I'm looking at making a RC my next project. Did you just do a swap the engine and not upgrade the axles and drivetrain? The truck I'm looking at now has a 318 in it and is a 4x4, wondering what would need to be done to swap in a 6bt or even the 4bt. I was able to get 32mpg out of the 4bt I sold not to long ago. Wishing I still had it now that my wife wants a more family fledge vehicle. If you have a thread, post it up, curious to see what the project intails.
I installed a pair of rebuilt D60s out 78 Dodge W300. Also did the lift the same weekend. I pulled the old 727/np203 combo and installed a 46rh/np241 combo.
If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought a beater Dodge CTD donor and installed the 6bt. It would have been a better bolt in conversion.
Anyway, check my website www.j10mike.com. I also have a build thread on ramchargercentral.com in the picture section. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me.

Mike
Old 09-19-2015, 12:55 AM

Dam, I love my toys. For a divorced single guy, I can't ask for much better.
One of these days, I'm gonna meet a nice Dodge girl...LOL.
Attached Thumbnails 77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.-all-dodge.jpg  
Old 09-19-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
Im jealous. I often wish I had built a 1st gen RC. Going topless would be cool. Nice build.

Quick Reply: 77 Dodge Ramcharger 4bt conversion.