Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

drive tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drive tires

Putting new drive tires on one axle on the one semi at work.

When they were put on the Century class a few years ago they were put on the front axle (with the leveling valve), which gave it a slight nose-down stance, and quickly took out the power divider, as you spun out going over the slightest hump in your path.

On this FLD, the leveling valve is on the rear axle.

Should the new tires go on the front axle, or would it be OK with the new tires on the rear, since it won't nose-over with the slightest hump that it's driven over?
Old 11-17-2015, 10:38 PM

Truck has all new drives. Sitting at the elevator, heard a funny pop sound, one of the old ones blew a sidewall out.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
If I understand correctly, your saying that when going over a hump that the rears are spinning? It sounds like the ride height needs to be set correctly. I use to work for Freightliner Truck Manurfacturing, and we had a tool "guage block" that was set between axle and frame rail to adjust the ride height, by adjusting the leveling valve rod at the axle. I'm not sure what the proper distance was from top of axle to bottom of frame rail was, but if you call a service center with your specific model I would bet they can tell you. I hope this may help you.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM

The new tires on the one truck were on the same axle as the leveling valve. That gave it a nose-down stance, with shorter tires on the other axle. The driver took the power divider lock out of it.

We put new tires on the drive with the leveling valve, but being the rear axle, didn't tip it nose-down.

The power divider wouldn't unlock until it had significant wheel spin on one wheel, or it was overloaded, even moving back and forth quite a bit before loading the truck.

Moot point now, because I had another drive blow its sidewall out while I was sitting still. Cheap Chinese tires, grabbed good, and didn't have any trouble to speak of, til they let go completely.

I don't like the closed-shoulder highway treads that replaced them. They float on gravel.

I do need a leveling valve. I have a couple pieces of zip tie stuck in and secured with the rod in the valve to get through harvest, and ride height has been more consistent since I stuck them in.