Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

Anyone help with adding trailer air supply to truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone help with adding trailer air supply to truck?

I have a 2003 F-750 that didn't have the trailer package from the factory. I want to add it and need to know the modules/valves that I will need to buy.

I already bought:

MV3 control valve set (red and yellow valves for in cab)

Trailer trolley brake hand valve

Glad hands for the rear

Just installed a nice hitch plate with an air pintle hitch to the rear of the truck

Where do I go from here. I'm pretty sure I need a tractor protection valve, but just not sure which one. I've read some of them come with built in check valves so you don't have to get those separate??

In the diagram below there is also a stop lamp switch/cruise control on the tp-5 valve......not sure what that is for.

I'd like to get this thing plumbed so I can start hauling equipment.

Here is an air diagram from a 2004 even though my truck is a 2003:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/TRUCKBBAS...bb_pdf/280.pdf

Can anyone help?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds like you're pretty well on track from what I remember, its been a while since I rebuilt the brakes in one of my three trailers and had to learn all this haha.

get a tractor protection valve with the check valves, it does eliminate the need to buy separately.

the stop lamp switch/ cruise control switch in your application shouldn't be needed, you will already have one on the truck hidden somewhere to run brake lights and cancel the cruise when you tap the brakes.

when buying air hoses to hook to the glad hands at the back of the truck buy the rubber ones and the good brass DIY fittings, you can then custom build to your required length, also get a light cord that is straight and braid it in with the 2 air lines, it keeps everything nice and neat and avoids the coils which have a tendency to get caught on stuff and cause problems.

also when buying fittings, bushings and other maintenance fittings, buy more than you think you will need[/COLOR] they will always come in handy

Last edited by 2006BLKMegacab; 06-10-2014 at 08:55 PM. Reason: needed to add a paragraph