AKDTR #22 Forum for the Alaska Chapter #22

Headed to AK

Old 08-16-2008, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headed to AK

Well, I haven't posted in a long time, been busy here in Ft Sill, but still headed to Wainwright in Jan/Feb. We decided we're going to look for a house in North Pole, pretty excited about that. Does most everyone consider a garage necessity or just nice to have? I can't wait to get there!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:38 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
If you haven't already, get an oilpan heater, and something to keep the battery(ies) warm.(bat blankets, bat pad heaters or trickle chargers are common) A garage is nice but you can survive without. Also look for winterfront to cover the radiator to help with warmup andd keeping warm. Coolant should be thickened to about 60-65% to protect to 50*below. (yes you will see temps that cold esspecially if you live in NP. If $$$ isn't a problem, check out a webasto heater. Stock up on your favorite fuel lube additive. They switch the fuel to #1 up here sometime at the end of Sep or Oct. Milage goes down, power goes down and wear goes up

Jan/Feb are the coldest months up here. I moved into my new house last FEB and it was -40 or colder the entire move. Just be prepared.

BTW diesel is $4.95/gal right now.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang.. i didn't think about the heaters that i may need living in AK at Ft. Richardson. How much do they cost? Which will crank better a 12v or 24v i haven't purchased yet i plan on it when i get there. Thnks.

Trapper.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:57 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Dblue
Dang.. i didn't think about the heaters that i may need living in AK at Ft. Richardson. How much do they cost? Which will crank better a 12v or 24v i haven't purchased yet i plan on it when i get there. Thnks.

Trapper.
Living at Ft. Rich, extra heaters won't be nessisary. The Anchorage bowl area dosen't get near as cold as the interior. The factory block heater will do just fine.

12v starters crank REAL well on 24v but also not needed.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofcmarc
If you haven't already, get an oilpan heater, and something to keep the battery(ies) warm.(bat blankets, bat pad heaters or trickle chargers are common) A garage is nice but you can survive without. Also look for winterfront to cover the radiator to help with warmup andd keeping warm. Coolant should be thickened to about 60-65% to protect to 50*below. (yes you will see temps that cold esspecially if you live in NP. If $$$ isn't a problem, check out a webasto heater. Stock up on your favorite fuel lube additive. They switch the fuel to #1 up here sometime at the end of Sep or Oct. Milage goes down, power goes down and wear goes up

Jan/Feb are the coldest months up here. I moved into my new house last FEB and it was -40 or colder the entire move. Just be prepared.

BTW diesel is $4.95/gal right now.
Thanks, I have that stuff picked out, ready to order and install in not too long here.