ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Steering box again..Death wobble back

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steering box again..Death wobble back

Thanks Dweiler for finding out why all of a sudden my death wobble came back.

Well...this is the second blown Napa box in 3 years...Now this box has a bad clicking sound inside the box....Plus passenger tire rod needs replacing(will do both)..

Sure the NAPA box has a life time warrenty...But listen too this....They told because I have replaced two gear boxes,that my steering pump could also be the problem...?????????Huh....Never heard this before...Has anyone else????
They said something that my pump may not be providing the proper pressue..Huh...???

This has been dicussed hundreds bof times....Should I replace again another NAPA box and replace the pump or look for other options??

Thinking about going with Moog tire rod ends..But they are $350 for the pair..
Old 07-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gens are tough on the front ends.

Someone is talking about your pump from a dark area of their body. The pump does nothing more than assist the steering and lubricate the box. If the pump was low on pressure, you'd know it.

I would look around for the tie rod ends. Moog isn't that great anymore. I don't know if they have them, but I buy allot of front end parts from justsuspensions.com You may have to call them. Tell them I sent you.

You have a steering stabilizer on that? They help a lot.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM

Have you tried checking the high side pressure, I'm sure there is a spec, pumps do wear out.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:33 PM
Old Mopar Aficionado Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Have you tried checking the high side pressure, I'm sure there is a spec, pumps do wear out.
Yeah they do, but it's not worn enough to ruin a steering box
Old 07-09-2011, 07:17 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by Diesel Dave2
Thanks Dweiler for finding out why all of a sudden my death wobble came back.

Well...this is the second blown Napa box in 3 years...Now this box has a bad clicking sound inside the box....Plus passenger tire rod needs replacing(will do both)..

Sure the NAPA box has a life time warrenty...But listen too this....They told because I have replaced two gear boxes,that my steering pump could also be the problem...?????????Huh....Never heard this before...Has anyone else????
They said something that my pump may not be providing the proper pressue..Huh...???

This has been dicussed hundreds bof times....Should I replace again another NAPA box and replace the pump or look for other options??

Thinking about going with Moog tire rod ends..But they are $350 for the pair..
Dave what bars you replacing the two long bars or the two short one? Napa sells junk gearbox, I went thru three before finding one that works, and its was pretty sloppy at best. I bought a brand new dodge steering box for my 02 truck. I keep all the front end parts on the shelf at home, cause you never know when you need to do a midnight fixer upper. The way I have been driving the new truck, might have to stock a replacement frontend as well. The new truck has no grease fittings except for the front universal joint.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Purplezr2
Never checked the high side...If the pump would quit lubing the box,you would think you would get hard steering..
Old 07-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Dave what bars you replacing the two long bars or the two short one? Napa sells junk gearbox, I went thru three before finding one that works, and its was pretty sloppy at best. I bought a brand new dodge steering box for my 02 truck. I keep all the front end parts on the shelf at home, cause you never know when you need to do a midnight fixer upper. The way I have been driving the new truck, might have to stock a replacement frontend as well. The new truck has no grease fittings except for the front universal joint.
Its the outer,the two short ones...Dam these frontends and steering boxes,be nice if someone would a box that would last...And here is the stupid thing,I hardly drive my truck,I don't use it for work,it's only driven on the highway and the stupid frontend falls apart....Good grief Charlie brown..
Old 07-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Red Head Steering Gear!!!!!!! Seattle Washington.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
Red Head Steering Gear!!!!!!! Seattle Washington.

Never heard of them...Did you get one for your truck??I'm open to anything..
Old 07-09-2011, 11:51 PM
The Guru

Dave, check out this thread. Might help out. Not sure if it covers your year of truck buddy. I haven't yet tried it and just gave it a quick. Might be interesting fix for us 2nd gen guys.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-t292009.html
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ver-spent.html
Old 07-09-2011, 11:52 PM

Yes I've got one on my superduty. They are good. Very good. You can pull some googling on them

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
Yes I've got one on my superduty. They are good. Very good. You can pull some googling on them

Thanks Luke...I pulled there website...I'm going to give them a call and see what they say...thx...
Old 07-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Dave, check out this thread. Might help out. Not sure if it covers your year of truck buddy. I haven't yet tried it and just gave it a quick. Might be interesting fix for us 2nd gen guys.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n-t292009.html
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98...ver-spent.html
Yes...I'm also going to check on this 4th gen box swap in our 2nd gen..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:51 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
5 junk napa boxes in a row. Went with a Redhead box, no comparison, and the price isn't much higher. Harvey knows his theory, building, and products inside out. And he won't bother telling you about other people's "bad" stuff, he'll only tell you what works.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by pind
5 junk napa boxes in a row. Went with a Redhead box, no comparison, and the price isn't much higher. Harvey knows his theory, building, and products inside out. And he won't bother telling you about other people's "bad" stuff, he'll only tell you what works.
Thanks for the input and you drive alot on gravel roads??...Going to give Redhead a call Monday...Yesterday I got a good dose of dealth wobble and that was it...Could barely drive the truck today,because it wants to dealth wobble on ever hole...Now that the outer tirerod is shot..Going to replace the whole bar assembly...Those darn things are not cheap in the Moog line...All three bar are going to cost close to $600 not including the steering box or wheel alignment...There goes the home renovation buget..

Went to Auto Value...They said the same thing about their rebuilt boxes..Don't last...A fellow went through 5 of them in one year in his chevy 4x4.

Quick Reply: Steering box again..Death wobble back