ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Sold the 97...Sorta choked up....

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 04:12 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Sold the 97...Sorta choked up....

Hey guys.. Been a long time but life moves at a quick pace for everyone it seems.

Just posting to update that I sold my old faithful 97 on Saturday. I didn't really think much about it until I left the parking lot and watched it drive away. Seems my kids were more affected by it than they let on But we've had that truck since my oldest was just out of diapers, bought it in 03.

I guess I'm totally out of the 12V crowd now since I had my first truck, 1989 CTD in 1994, the 1993 in 2001 and the ol 97 in 03.

Hope to run in to you guys out there!

J-eh
Old 07-21-2014, 07:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Wow...tough to let go ain't it?

I am going to sell my 96 I bought new and put every single one of the 144,000 miles on it myself.....going to hate to see it leave as well...

Don't be a stranger!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Dang Lil Dog,....sorry to hear that! You are one of the longtime Dodge CTD 12 valve owners here on DTR too.

Unlike you and Lary, I still have my pristine 1996 Dodge CTD 12 valve and to be honest I don't think I will ever sell or trade mine. I just don't see many real nice ones anymore and know if I do sell mine I will NEVER find another one like I have.

---------
John_P
Old 07-24-2014, 09:53 AM
Chapter President

Thanks guys...John, That's not making it feel any better..I had my guts in a knot the whole days around the sale. That's the longest I've owned a truck.

At this time I just don't have the space or time to repair it. The years of being my business vehicle took its toll. The day before I had to leave on an 8 hr trip I found a broken fuel tank strap, loose U-Joints and rust has started to make holes in the fenders. At 415,000 km (259,000Mi) it was getting to need a lot of attention to stay reliable. Could I fix it, sure. But I just don't have the project money or time.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Chapter President

Here's a couple photos just for fun that I put together for the sale.
Attached Thumbnails Sold the 97...Sorta choked up....-97-drivers-side.jpg   Sold the 97...Sorta choked up....-97-pass-side.jpg  
Old 07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Wow...she sure was pretty!

Dang now I am having second thoughts about selling my truck
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Thanks guys...John, That's not making it feel any better..I had my guts in a knot the whole days around the sale. That's the longest I've owned a truck.

At this time I just don't have the space or time to repair it. The years of being my business vehicle took its toll. The day before I had to leave on an 8 hr trip I found a broken fuel tank strap, loose U-Joints and rust has started to make holes in the fenders. At 415,000 km (259,000Mi) it was getting to need a lot of attention to stay reliable. Could I fix it, sure. But I just don't have the project money or time.
---------------------------------------
Lil Dog:

That is a nice looking Dodge CTD 12 valve Sir!

Hey, I hear you on the maintenance issue and the miles. My 1996 is not used in a business like yours although my truck does have over 300,000
miles on it! It has been garage kept and I know that also makes a difference.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Sad to hear it's gone.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel J-I retired my '01 this spring in favor of an '06 dually I picked up over the winter. Mine had 500K of oilfield thrashing and was getting too tired to continue pulling the trailer-the last 2 trips last fall resulted in 3 turnarounds to effect repairs. Last time it stayed home and I had to borrow Dad's old '98 3500 to carry on. Motor is pretty much done, steering was terrible, drivelines are getting old, etc. etc. etc. Still tough to let go-I ordered it and put on pretty much every km on it. I'm in the midst of selling off the good stuff on it now to fund upgrades on the '06 and I'm having trouble even doing that. Some of its stuff will live on in my new truck-gauges, headache rack, eventually the tranny when the G56 in this one explodes, possibly even the Power Wagon hood badges if I can make them work. The new truck is quieter, smoother, drives better, stops better, and when I'm done should pull my 5th wheel like a freight train, but it's, for lack of a better term, sterile compared to my '01....

Next time I'm up your way I'll try to get hold of you-time for a coffee or something stronger to catch up on things.

Jason
Old 07-25-2014, 01:28 PM

Went through the same scenario when I let the 02 go a few months ago. I put on just about every one of the 650,000 km's on it, built it into exactly what I wanted for a truck and Loved every minute of driving it.

But time took it's toll and the work and money needed to bring it back to number one just wasn't there. Head gasket (again), complete front end, body work, all kinds of little items just were not worth the $$$ to invest so it had to go.

Guy in Edmonton bought it sight unseen. Drove down the next day, I explained and told him every single thing that was wrong with it fully expecting him to walk away. We loaded all the extra parts into it, he paid cash and drove away. I never even watched it drive down the road.

The old 92 I picked up takes it's place and is fine by me. It's old, ugly, load and good enough for what I need it for.

Priorities change, times change, and honestly, the whole diesel hobby has changed to the point where I really wasn't interested in it anymore. In a minute, I would attend a gathering of all the "old guys" that used to meet here in Alberta and have a well deserved chin wag but to attend a dyno day or something like that, nope, not going to happen. To many things more important than that.

Jeff
Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 PM
Chapter President

Hey Jeff, Jason, Good to hear from you guys.

Sounds like I'm not alone on the whole change of priorities thing. Once I added up all the parts that the 97 needed, it wasn't making sense to keep it just for nostalgia sake. The guy who bought it did the same deal as you Jeff. Friend of a friend at Cummins in Edmonton just let it fly I was thinking of selling it and a couple calls later there was a cheque sent for it. Just had to deliver it to Leduc is all, but really wasn't hard to sell. I just let it go with all the goodies on it as I wasn't in a position to start stripping it down.

We need to have a good old Alberta Bombers Club meet here again and just catch up. Do call guys and if I'm out your way Jeff I may just ring the door bell on the way by.

Cheers!!

J-eh
Old 07-25-2014, 08:00 PM

I'd be up for an ABC meeting again one of these days. Think the last one I was to was the one that Marc organized at Argus moons ago. Life seems to pull a guy 100 different directions-I have spent pretty much the whole month of July working on the new truck and new-to-me fishing boat getting things worked out-my days off in August and September are pretty much spoken for on fishing trips. I'm hoping to get it all working right before a trip to Cold Lake in early September. Time will tell....

Jason
Old 07-26-2014, 01:02 AM

I still am alive and kicking with the 04.5 Only 540,000 kms on it. I think it's still in real good shape strangely enough. Just rebuilt everything on the front end, and put in another transmission. Running real good though, I just went on a family holiday over 3000 kms and 36 hrs in total and it still runs flawlessly. Even got about 5-10 % better fuel economy then my dads 2009 3500 traveling same speed and distance right behind or in front. Everytime I think I should replace it I look at a new one in the local dodge dealer lot and the $90,000 price tag makes me like the old truck once again!
Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 PM

ya hey. tough call. keep it or sell it.

I've been rocking a '94 reg cab 2wd 2500 to fort mac and back this year. while I'm destroking my dually. with a ppump 24v. things are good I guess.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:36 AM

I'm saddened to hear you sold the old 12v, Jason. But its hard to justify keeping things when you don't use them anymore and they keep nickle and diming you. Mine stays locked up in the garage now. I've put 10k km on it since I rebuilt it last summer. Only 3 tanks of fuel in it since I bought the Jetta in October, but I've put 45k on the car.

I'd still like to meet up with the old boys club someday. I haven't seen anyone except the locals since I last met J and Jamie in Red Deer last year. Can't remember the time before that.

Quick Reply: Sold the 97...Sorta choked up....