ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

So whos actually up in and around Ft Mac?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 01:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wandering River here. Gateway to the oilsands! Lol. I was in ft mac for a bit, didn't really care for it though.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:54 AM

Who's up for a little gtg then. I'm off This weekend sat or sun. I'm in the suncor Borealis camp. But I've got the truck here. Grab some lunch somewhere, or meet up for a bit.

I'm killing the next 2 days one way or another

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2011, 08:02 PM

Unfortunately I am out of town till next thursday. If I was around I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smarty
Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 AM

ok since you guys are on the subject of fort mac.

Iam considering relocating the beautiful north for work purposes as a HVAC tech. but want a 12on 12 off type shift and commute.i dought my spouse can handle the weather up there

I am looking to expand my salary so to speak while iam young enough to put in the OT and deal with the weather.Kamloops is beautiful but the sunshine tax is too much to deal with. $60k a year here is hard to get as a tradesperson and i will not move back to the lowermainland.
i looked on the local488......only things i find are full time mon-fri for like $35hr
i aint moving north for that.

problem is i honestly dont know ,who ,what ,and where are the best places to work .I am worried of spending the first bit looking for that right employer.
i have applied at SGS doing Hvac stuff..wierd thing is Iam qualified but no call yet

any help for a fellow diesel nut?

my specs

-journeyman HVAC refrigeration tech. red seal
-"B" level gasfitter
-espar trained tech
-mobile equipment A/C............planes,trains, automobiles,logging/mining
-"certified" transport refrigeration tech
-comercial and residential HVAC and refrigeration experience
-diesel generator experience 12kw+
-can pull wrenches on lots oh ****
Old 09-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Start looking here http://www.rigzone.com/
last winter the weather was generally nicer around Ft Mc than in Calgary .
Try to find a Camp job , accomodations up there will eat a lot of your salary , the Big companies like Suncor or Petro have their own camps & airports .
Good luck
Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by morkable
If I was around I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smarty

Am I the only one that feels the need to comment on this ?...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM

Lucas try a company called Guthrie Mechanical Services - they are a major contractor in Fort Mac but I am not sure they pay the money youre looking for.

IMO, unless youre living in camp or bunking with 5 guys Fort McMurray isnt worth the effort.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Evil
Lucas try a company called Guthrie Mechanical Services - they are a major contractor in Fort Mac but I am not sure they pay the money youre looking for.

IMO, unless youre living in camp or bunking with 5 guys Fort McMurray isnt worth the effort.
ive heard of Guthrie.thanks i seen an add for $35/hr- now at rooms starting at $900 a month and suites like $1400+ that does not seam worth it to me.

and yes i hear fort mac isnt worth it unless your getting a big LOA or in camp, kinda why iam asking questions

i have had buddy's that are doing heavy duty up there. even they say time you pay for your life up there ,there isn't much left.
and unless you get the right shift your lifestyle is not improved by going north.

seen this ad for suncor

WORKING CONDITIONS

Based at our Main Plant located 24km north of Fort McMurray

Shifts Schedule will be a days on a rotating 4x5x5x4

Travel is required from Fort McMurray to job site and back in a company bus

This is not a camp position

Requires some heavy lifting, use of ladders and working on elevated work sites such as scaffolds, towers, roofs of buildings.

Will be required to work outdoors in extreme weather conditions

had me untill the manditory bus ride for 24km?? not really sure why that is
and the shift..................what the heck do you do for 5 days off after a 4 day week?? and no my gal or my garage wont be there.......
Old 09-07-2011, 01:10 PM

the bus ride is necessary because there is no room to park. We always have trouble parking at Syncrude.

Theres a common misconception that Fort Mac is big money - while there is money to be made (and lots of it) not every one is highly paid and the costs/working conditions/weather etc. etc. often outweigh most of the benefits (just my opinion of course).

Oh and no there isnt much to do there other than work and quading/snowmobiling
Old 09-07-2011, 02:02 PM

Don't let anyone scare you about the weather. It is consistently nicer in fort Mac than Edmonton. For example this morning it was +22 at 6 am. I am in Edmonton now and it hadn't even got there by noon. It's weird how a city so far north gets the weather we do.

As for work, you just have to keep your eyes peeled, you almost have to be there, a lot of companies are not even advertising anymore. Also I really don't know of any companies that don't pay at least 1000/ month loa (they call it "fort MCMURRAY allowance").

I'm sure if you do some digging you will find something, but you have to dig a little. But I can tell you this from experience, it is a nice place and the money here is very good. You can not make the money anywheres else that you can make here
Old 09-07-2011, 02:58 PM

The bus ride is also for the traffic , everyone rides the bus , at shift change the highway is a parking lot . Part of the problem is the river on one side & the cliff on the other making the 4 lane the only way through town , I would be looking at a ring road on top of the cliff to go around the city as a solution . The other problem is No one lives there so there is no tax base for added infrastructure , 90% of the employees fly or drive into Ft Mc for work & take the paychecks home , most infrastructure there is 100% province funded but it is slow & with a lot of the tax base going back other provinces as well . It is a weird area for sure go into any store & it is like the day before christmas , busy all the time , & service in restaurants is terrible because no one will work for the low pay when they can get better jobs with the oil companies !!
Old 09-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wifey & I will have to come up RVing/camping to Fort Mac & northern Alberta one summer to check it out & say hi to the Morkens.

I've never been but would be interesting to check out plus I'm sure it's nice country outside of the city.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 PM

thanks for the info guys

found a a/c job for SGS and a JOY company for remote a/c service .
i will apply tomorrow,going to groom the old resume first
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 PM

So I'm on my first week of rotation at Suncor main mine shops. After a couple weeks training. Yes its not a secret, definately journeyman rate at the mine will get you into $130k year, after shift differentials and retention bonus. Before any overtime. But in a non camp job, like has been said, haveing to be in fort mac eats up your bottom line. If you can line up an industrial hvac gig on a flying in camp. You'll be laughing.

I got in on the baseplant here to start with to get my feet wet on mine equipment by I've got my ears open for a camp job to transfer. On site its a 6on6off, but just this week a mechanic transfered from here up to Suncor Firebag mine, on a 7on7off flyin flyout. Same rate too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2011, 01:28 AM

Lucas, PM me your email address - I ran across a job tonight you may be interested in.

Quick Reply: So whos actually up in and around Ft Mac?