ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Re-Airdog or not?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re-Airdog or not?

My original AD150 worked flawlessly since July 2013 until mid-February 2014. It started blowing fuses randomly over a few weeks and then piled up without blowing the fuse at -35*C while down in Medicine Hat. Thankfully there was only a couple days left on a client's and the CP3 was able to pull fuel through. I replaced it with a spare Airdog2 I had in my garage (don't ask why I had a spare).

The new pump worked flawlessly from then until this past Tuesday. Noticed 0 psi when I pulled into a client's yard in Kindersley parked. Of course the fuse was blown, replaced it and fired the truck back up. Fuel pressure for 20 seconds and then nothing. Checked the fuse and fine - pump piled up again in less than four months. Sent Tech Support an email that night and no reply yet

So, I have returned back home today and running around on my CP3 for the past three days.

I have to hook up my factory fuel pump tomorrow.

Do I bother retaining all the fuel lines for the Airdog, or revert back to OEM?

I cannot be dropping fuel pumps in more remore locations. Not to mention the mess and PIA to replace the Airdog.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
for what it's worth, which amounts to nothing, I have one of Richard Martin's original gfs392 walbro systems on my 01. other than a bad relay once, and a pump that went bad due to a mfg issue early on, this setup has performed perfectly since I put it on in about 05.
I change the upstream strainer once a year, and change the main filter every 10,000km. I still use the stock filter. I also use a draw straw in the tank.

simple, reliable, the kind of thing that fits my two stick,three pedal, roll up window lifestyle.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by pind
for what it's worth, which amounts to nothing, I have one of Richard Martin's original gfs392 walbro systems on my 01. other than a bad relay once, and a pump that went bad due to a mfg issue early on, this setup has performed perfectly since I put it on in about 05.
I change the upstream strainer once a year, and change the main filter every 10,000km. I still use the stock filter. I also use a draw straw in the tank.

simple, reliable, the kind of thing that fits my two stick,three pedal, roll up window lifestyle.

I have had the exact same system on my '04 since 2004. The Glacier Diesel/Richard Martin Walbro pump system with zero issues since 2004.
My stock fuel filter cannister lift pump left me on the side of the road when the truck was 6 months old. It was covered under warranty but the dealer fix was to install a lift pump in the fuel tank which I didn't want.

I even carry a spare Walbro pump since they are so cheap and available everywhere.
Glacier Diesel no longer offers this as a kit but still sells all the parts except the pump

With my lowered 2wd a FASS or Airdog with the low hanging fuel filters are not an options.
The standalone FASS or Airdog pumps don't have a good rep IMO.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I have had the exact same system on my '04 since 2004. The Glacier Diesel/Richard Martin Walbro pump system with zero issues since 2004.
My stock fuel filter cannister lift pump left me on the side of the road when the truck was 6 months old. It was covered under warranty but the dealer fix was to install a lift pump in the fuel tank which I didn't want.

I even carry a spare Walbro pump since they are so cheap and available everywhere.
Glacier Diesel no longer offers this as a kit but still sells all the parts except the pump

With my lowered 2wd a FASS or Airdog with the low hanging fuel filters are not an options.
The standalone FASS or Airdog pumps don't have a good rep IMO.
I have a Glacier set up on mine for over 250,000kms. and it is trouble free and a lot quieter that the airdog set up. The reason Richard does not carry Walboro is they wanted him to sell every kind of pump they make and that did not fit his busness model.
Jim O