4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

power tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power tow mirrors

I have a 2012 2500 Laramie that has power tow mirrors. I am wanting to replace them with the power fold tow mirrors. I need to know what all I will have to do, to do this? Does the wiring harness have all the wires? I am hoping i only need to mount the switch for the fold in and plug in some wires. I have looked at the aftermarket ones from 1a auto has any body tried this?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:09 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by shorn
I have a 2012 2500 Laramie that has power tow mirrors. I am wanting to replace them with the power fold tow mirrors. I need to know what all I will have to do, to do this? Does the wiring harness have all the wires? I am hoping i only need to mount the switch for the fold in and plug in some wires. I have looked at the aftermarket ones from 1a auto has any body tried this?

I have the power fold mirrors from 1A and they come with everything that you need. Not sure if 1A have changed suppliers or upgraded these mirrors, but on mine the power fold on the first mirror failed in less than 2 months and on the second mirror in about 3 months. They worked well while they worked. 1A were very good about this and immediately refunded my money and did not want the old mirrors back which makes me suspect that other customers had a similar problem. I did notice that on their site, these mirrors vanished for a while, but now they are back, Not sure if these mirrors are the same part number or brand as the ones that I purchased. Call them ans ask about failure history.

Let us know what you find out and what you eventually did.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:20 PM

I stopped at a Dodge dealer today to see about getting the switch from them for the power fold. The parts guy said i could get it but there was 100 on back order as of now. He said that if i have the tow mirrors (which i do just not power fold) that all i need to do is put the new mirrors on they should plug in to the harness in the door and put a new switch cluster in the door and they should work. He said the wiring harness has the wires for power fold they just aren't used unless the power fold mirrors are in place.

1aauto must have found a new supplier when i checked on them last summer they were back ordered cause of the issues they were having and they were waiting for the new ones not sure when that was.
Old 07-21-2020, 09:35 AM

I have a question did you upgrade your mirrors and was it just plug and play? I am wanting to do the same to my mirrors and what year of master window switch did you go with to convert it? thanks in advance
Old 10-19-2020, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by pendl1285
I have a question did you upgrade your mirrors and was it just plug and play? I am wanting to do the same to my mirrors and what year of master window switch did you go with to convert it? thanks in advance
I did do the upgrade to power fold mirrors from 1aauto they have worked good from the time I put them on in 2017. i had to use the fold button that came with the mirrors because the wiring harness in the door didn't have the wire in it to run the fold. and therre is an actuautor or something that is also required with the stock switch.