4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Integrated Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 08:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I pulled my 5th wheel this last weekend and I am not pleased with the stock brake controller! I set it on 10 and still my truck works too hard to stop the trailer. My front rims were black!!! Is there any way to fix the stock controller?
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by skirk55
I pulled my 5th wheel this last weekend and I am not pleased with the stock brake controller! I set it on 10 and still my truck works too hard to stop the trailer.
I have the same issue, but my 5th wheel is about 14k in weight. I would love it if it was a little stronger on the low end of braking, it seems to do ok when I put extra presser on it. glad to say i have not had to stomp on it.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Talked to my dealer today...said he has not heard about any updates or changes to the controllers, but also said that you can not just order a new one. You have to call, and tell them why you need one...so apparently, lots of dealer/people are just replacing them trying to get better performance. and has Diamler/Chrysler/Fiat all tangled up over them.

He said he would keep me informed of any changes, or if he see's a TSB for it.

They may not have many answers for me, but my local dealer I think tries to figure something out for me. Guess that counts for something!!

Chris
Old 08-30-2011, 07:23 PM

Thank God it just was not me!! I am going to call the dealer and ask if anything can be done.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok...

Well, thanks for all the info. I guess replacing it is out. At this point I'm at a loss. The only other thing I know to is have an aftermarket unit installed. I don't really have the 'weak' performance that others seem to have but the camper only weighs about 4500 lbs. My only issue is the constant 'disconnected - connected' message and resultant 'chime'. I do think I'll show this thread to my dealer, though.

Thanks,
Bob

Sent from my iPhone
Old 09-03-2011, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BobTipton
Well, thanks for all the info. I guess replacing it is out. At this point I'm at a loss. The only other thing I know to is have an aftermarket unit installed. I don't really have the 'weak' performance that others seem to have but the camper only weighs about 4500 lbs. My only issue is the constant 'disconnected - connected' message and resultant 'chime'. I do think I'll show this thread to my dealer, though.

Thanks,
Bob

Sent from my iPhone
Have you checked the connection of your umbilical cord from trailer to truck? I was having similar problems with my prodigy controller in my 98 dodge. kept showing nc code every minute or two..After checking all the trailer wiring myself and then taking to an RV repair shop, I finally discovered what the problem was..After I had completed my hook-up to the 5ver my wife would come behind me checking everything. She would grab the electric cord and tug on it to make sure the connecting latch was secure..turns out this tug was pulling the plug out just enough to have a poor connection..Once I had to make a trip without her I had no problems and have since asked her to skip this safety check..Might be worth a check..While mine was at the RV repair shop they pulled it with their TV and said it worked perfectly so if you have someone who can pull with their TV see if it does the same as it does with yours...Hope you get it figured out...good luck.
Tony
Old 09-05-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zygote
Have you checked the connection of your umbilical cord from trailer to truck? I was having similar problems with my prodigy controller in my 98 dodge. kept showing nc code every minute or two..After checking all the trailer wiring myself and then taking to an RV repair shop, I finally discovered what the problem was..After I had completed my hook-up to the 5ver my wife would come behind me checking everything. She would grab the electric cord and tug on it to make sure the connecting latch was secure..turns out this tug was pulling the plug out just enough to have a poor connection..Once I had to make a trip without her I had no problems and have since asked her to skip this safety check..Might be worth a check..While mine was at the RV repair shop they pulled it with their TV and said it worked perfectly so if you have someone who can pull with their TV see if it does the same as it does with yours...Hope you get it figured out...good luck.
Tony

Thanks, Tony - I'll check that. I do notice that it's possible for the trailer plug to pull out about 1/4 inch before it hits the latch - I suppose It could rig something with a screw in the top tab of the trailer plug to make it tighter. I'll give that a shot as it's easy...

Thanks, again,

Bob
Old 09-17-2011, 07:50 PM

Let me know if you find anything out on your issue. I have a 2010 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins It has the in dash brake control. Was pulling a 26ft RV with dual axles but only one axle has brakes. Bought a 2011 Durango 1500 29 ft 5th wheel. It has dual axles and all four wheels have brakes. I am getting a 5C or it may be SC error code on the brake module and a "Check trailer brake wires" message on the dash display. The Dodge house says it's the trailer the RV house says it's the truck......
Old 09-17-2011, 11:14 PM

Towed my airstream for the first time today with the 2011 3500. The brake controller sucks. The trailer weighs in around 10k and a couple months ago I towed with my Ford / prodigy and I could get the trailer to aggresively slow down the whole rig. With current setup on max I really have to hit the brakes on the truck to slow things down. I wonder if Dodge will do something to increase power from these factory brake controllers.

Vinnie
Old 09-18-2011, 11:37 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I have pulled my 13,7XXlb 5ver RV a lot this summer and the integrated controller is poor even set on 10. I have noticed that it does not proportion enough power under normal operation. For example controller set at 10 only proportions 4-4.5, if you manually brake the trailer the braking force is there and I have been practicing doing this. Why? I may need this in an emergency situation and want to be able to control the trailer rather than just slam on the brakes and lock them up. I just returned from a month long trip and will be seeing the dealer this week. It is a dangerous situation that must be resolved.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:06 PM

I just went to Florida and back last week and I have to get the controller replaced and see what front brakes look like now.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I hate to say it but the integrated controller on my brand new CTD Dually seems weak. I just pulled an empty horse trailer with living quarters that is probably about 7,000 lbs. With the gain at 10 the braking was adequate at best. The brakes on the truck we doing more stopping than those on the trailer. Not optimum for towing on wet slippery roads. When I tow my 16,000 fifth wheel I can tell that I won't be happy. The prodigy on my '07.5 performs so much better. I need to see the dealer and let him know I am not happy. I haven't yet received the customer survey from Dodge so I have a small hammer to hold over the dealer.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:46 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Now here's something, today I was pulling my tandem dump trailer at around 7000lbs controller at 9.5 and I watched as it braked, 5 6 8 and it braked the trailer no problem. The tandem dump is a tag and my 5ver is on a B&W companion which has a silicon mounted head with a shock absorber side to side. Maybe it's too smooth?? What kind of 5ver hitches are the people that are having trouble using.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:56 AM

I don't have a 5ver...I have a 35' 9500lb empty GN flatbed, and a 21' 4000lb bumper hitch trailer. Neither works very good until I'm almost stopped, then it locks up my trailer brakes.

Watching the meter in the dash, it MIGHT go to 3, until it locks up at 9

Chris
Old 09-20-2011, 10:43 AM

I watched the meter and it bar never goes past half way. I had camping world check it out and everything is ok. This brakes are not enough for my truck!

Quick Reply: Integrated Trailer Brake Controller