4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bad fuel mileage

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad fuel mileage

Looking for some help deleted truck 5 k miles ago all good saw about 2.5 mileage increase on sw1 tune on race me towed my camper last week truck was struggling to pull it motor was bogging it seemed and fuel mileage went way down before trip changed fuel filter and oil emailed franz told him what was up told me to download new soft ware and bump up a tune now runnin sw2 truck runs better but Edit fuel mileage getting 11 hey scanned with new snap on scanner no codes any ideas no other problems that I seen fuel is from good source looking for some help air filter clean truck has 32 thousand miles on it
Old 11-06-2014, 09:26 PM

I runnin full deletes 5 inch turbo back and s&b Intake
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 PM

Up date just pulled my map sensor totaly blocked with soot could not even see the probe im hoping this helps
Old 11-12-2014, 07:59 PM

How's it running after cleaning the MAP sensor?
Old 11-12-2014, 08:26 PM

Mpgs went up around 1 but still crappy thinkin about dumpin the truck or returning it back to stock only thing i gained from deletes was good sound and normal coolant temp when towing
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM

That is so strange. My truck ran great with the RaceME. Hope you can figure out what is going on....
Old 05-21-2015, 01:10 PM

MAP sensor and Mileage

Read this thread a couple weeks ago just before a planned 10 day road trip with our 28' 5ver. Sensor was completely plugged (Probably for a long time) Cleaned it and absolutely got an extra mile per gallon on our trip. Pays to keep reading and sharing!
Old 07-13-2015, 12:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Outwest
Read this thread a couple weeks ago just before a planned 10 day road trip with our 28' 5ver. Sensor was completely plugged (Probably for a long time) Cleaned it and absolutely got an extra mile per gallon on our trip. Pays to keep reading and sharing!

Where is the MAP sensor located?
Old 06-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Did you ever find the answer to Edit fuel mileage? My 2011 6.7 4x4 2500, full delete, exhaust, raceme jr and like you lucky to get 12 mpg pulling anything. Ive tired every setting and timing option, updated it with newer software as per Franz and still the same result. I just dropped my toyo 35s as a last ditch effort since I got it with 35s on it. Went with 33s and zero change. Ive tried to baby it at 60, 5th gear, tow haul mode, and funny thing is it gets same **** fuel mileage at 80. Ive never seen 20mpg down hill with a tail wind. My 04.5 5.9 pulling the same trailer, 20mpg... empty, 23-25 depending on speed 65-75. Im ready to dump this thing. Is there something Im missing?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2009 deleted, and get about 16 to 17 running city/hwy, and about 10 pulling a 12k LB high profile fifth wheel 65 mph.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:12 PM

With only 4k miles on the truck the five of us jumped in it and drove from Kansas to Florida for vacation. Running 80 mph just about the entire way, we got 23.1mpg down, and 21.9 mpg home. However, if I put my 20' flatbed trailer on back with two Polaris RZR's on board, I struggle to get much over 9mpg running 75-80 mph most of the way. I can't imagine that 4k pounds of weight, and minimal wind drag, would make such a profound impact to fuel economy. My 03 HO CTD would get 25 mpg unloaded, and 15-17 mpg pulling my 25' flat nose enclosed trailer with at least 5k pounds of cargo inside of it. What's the deal with these new trucks? They make significantly more power, they're more aerodynamic, and it gets much worse fuel economy loaded...***??? I know that all the emission crap on the exhaust and motor isn't helping the problem, but ****....if the truck didn't ride so rough unloaded, I'd use it for a DD because of the unloaded fuel economy. I'm trying to wait until the warranty is almost expired before I mess with any deletes...I can't afford to have any potential warranty work denied because of the deleted parts. Does deleting the exhaust emission crap really make that much of an increase on mpg?
Old 08-22-2016, 11:32 AM

I'm still struggling with this thing....also pulled map sensor today and **** near broke it cause it wouldn't come outta the hole. It's so packed with crap there's no probe just completely full of Carbon and goo. I can only imagine what the rest looks like at 168000 and yes.. still 9 mpg pulling a silly tiny 2 horse trailer. . Any suggestions... could it be the tuner?
Attached Thumbnails Bad fuel mileage-20160822_110614.jpg  
Old 08-22-2016, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaybone
I'm still struggling with this thing....also pulled map sensor today and **** near broke it cause it wouldn't come outta the hole. It's so packed with crap there's no probe just completely full of Carbon and goo. I can only imagine what the rest looks like at 168000 and yes.. still 9 mpg pulling a silly tiny 2 horse trailer. . Any suggestions... could it be the tuner?
Where is this sensor located? Since I posted the above response I've learned more about these trucks and what makes them tick. What I've found is that the second she goes into double digit boost pressure, the mpg drops off significantly. I recently pulled a 20'enclosed V nose trailer with 2 RZR's and some odds and end **** inside. I trailered this load 5 hours down to waynoka, Oklahoma to the sand dunes. I ran about 80mph most of the way with the ac on. I filled up the diesel and def before we headed out. By the time I got to Blackwell, Oklahoma I needed fuel and used more than a quarter tank of def....it was getting close to the half full mark. The computer said I got 9.1 mpg, and hand calculation said it was pretty accurate. On the way back to Kansas city my neighbor topped off his fuel and def, and pulled this same exact load with his 2015 Silverado 3500 dually, 4x4, crew cab with the duramax/Allison combo. By the time we got back he was seeing only 8.9mpg...they don't have a def gauge so we didn't know exactly how much he used. However, a few weeks later his def light came on. So we can say that he didn't use anywhere near the amount I used. I've pulled this same load 4 times this year and never broke 10mpg. To be honest I was happy to see his truck didn't do any better than mine. On the way home I got 23.2 mpg empty running 80 to 85mph most of the way. For some reason these new trucks get good mpg's empty, and the second they get any load on them the mpg goes to crap. The only thing I can think of is that the emission crap on the exhaust restricts it so much that when the motor is up in boost the fuel economy goes to hell. I'll be able to confirm or deny this theory once I straight pipe it. I intend to leave the power level at stock, only using the tuner to turn off the emission crap. If you figure it out let us all know.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:52 PM

The map sensor I pulled was on drivers side intake horn aft end. Now to complicate things...I've deleted all egr, exhaust, sensors, upon initial purchase I was shocked at stock poor engine performance and even worse MPG. I researched the cap out of 6.7 and loved. ..3 of my 5.9s my 2003 1 ton 4x4 quad cab manual 5 spd 5.9 with 411 gears got 26 MPG hand calculated....running empty. I retired from the Navy and started my own auto hauling budiness, cdl, owner operator and DOT. I put 335000 on that truck and would drive it another 200k no worries. All that was added was 4 inch straight exhaust, edge programmer, cold air intake.. I crossed the scales every Friday near Arbuckle OK 33,000 lbs average pulling 3-4 cars on a 50 ft wedge trailer. I could easily keep 17 mpg.. with the cruise control at 65..never above 1300 egt's and would fly by all the semi trucks with flashers on in the pokey lane going through the Arbuckles. All that said.. I wanted to upgrade after selling that business. Searched the devil for 2011 6.7 because it was the last year without DEF. I herd it's the variable vane turbo and integrated exhaust brake along with the egr that's the culprit. I have almost reached the point of trying an old turbo and exhaust / intake. Now as I deleted some of the egt components they too are all clogged w oil tar soot.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybone
Searched the devil for 2011 6.7 because it was the last year without DEF.
Actually the 2012s didn't have DEF as well, 2013 was the 1st year for DEF in the non chassis-cab trucks.

My non-deleted 2011 got by far the worst mpgs of the bunch, but none of my 4 CTDs got any better than 12mpg pulling a decent load. It's not so much the weight, but the aerodynamics once you get above 55 mph. I also suspect it's hardwired into the "Tow/Haul" mode button, or the trailer lights...hook up to a trailer and the mpgs automatically drop by 40% (just kidding of course)

Actually, in the DEF trucks it's because the EGR opens up more when towing, so the truck sucks more of its own exhaust- which isn't at all efficient. That's part of the reason why I get 20mpg on the same trip empty that I get 11 mpg while towing.

Really though, by comparison neither of the other two brands do any better, and gassers are far worse off when towing. There's no magic, it's all physics and chemistry. Pay to play as they say. I won't complain much...as long as diesel stays under $2.50/gallon

Quick Reply: Bad fuel mileage