4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Yellow globules in DEF fluid

Old 12-14-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Yellow globules in DEF fluid

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and wondering if anyone has seen yellow globules in their DEF tank.

I have a (relatively) new 2016 Ram 3500 with approx 24K on the odometer, and recently started getting the "DEF service required, see dealer" message.

Needless to say, while at the dealership earlier today, the technician showed me the inside of my DEF tank and the pump he had removed. There were numerous small globules of a yellow substance (technician said it was oily). Also, mentioned that he's never seen anything like this.

Bottom line is that all the components of the DEF system need to be replaced to the tune of ~$2500.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this and knows what it is and what causes it? Also, the service manager mentioned that my warranty will probably not cover this. Quite disappointing. If any knows of any recourse I might have, I would be grateful.

I have only filled the DEF at truck stops or from a purchased plastic container. (Another dealer might have filled it once).

Will post pictures of what I saw today. Only have pictures of the pump, but globules were everywhere.

All responses greatly appreciated

Mike.
Attached Thumbnails Yellow globules in DEF fluid-img_2538.jpg   Yellow globules in DEF fluid-img_2537.jpg   Yellow globules in DEF fluid-img_2540.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 09:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
It would be interesting to see if it can be tested to see what it is. Deteriorated DEF? Diesel fuel? Vandalism of some sort? I would have to know. Good luck.
Old 12-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
It would be interesting to see if it were cleaned out then new def added, and the system was actually still ok. I have a feeling that alot of def issues are bad def and the systems get replaced that don't need replacing

Whatever it is, it looks like the filter stopped it and it did not get into the system
Old 12-16-2016, 11:10 AM

Could be a matter of DEF purity. I couldnt find a single thing related to this on the interwebz, so I would also love to know.
Old 12-16-2016, 12:53 PM

impurities in DEF

Well the dealer replaced everything and the issue seems to be resolved.

I have an ongoing conversation with Chrysler's customer service. I suspect that they will attempt to deny the warranty claim. Time will tell. I'll keep posting until the issue is fully resolved.

I did save all the old parts for the time being. There is enough residue left, I think, to get a chemical analysis to see what it is, but I have no idea where to start with this. Any advice greatly appreciated.

It seems to me that this issue is common enough to warrant further study. I know the Feds are mandating these systems, and in truth, there seems to be enough upside to them that I'm actually glad to have it.

That said, I would love to know why these systems aren't a little more robust. Seems to me that a system to inject a water solution of a chemical into the exhaust stream shouldn't be that sensitive. At the very least, there should be more safeguards built in so as to prevent the situation from getting to the point where an entire emissions related system needs to be replaced to the tune of $2500+. Definitely takes away from the joy of owning an otherwise great vehicle. Maybe a little more engineering is needed on the part of Chrysler/Cummins.

Also, don't know whether this issue is equally prevalent in Ford or Chevrolet. If there is a difference, it would certainly suggest that engineering of these systems plays a key factor in reliability. Thoughts, anyone?

Cheers

Mike
Old 12-16-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got the "Service DEF" (or something along those lines) message and a p20EE code. Changed my DEF and the code went away, hasn't come back. Maybe you weren't in the position to do it, but I would've told the dealer to put it back together, refill it with fresh DEF and see if that fixed the problem. I really doubt those globules caused any permanent damage to the SCR system.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If Chrysler denies the warranty citing that the fluid was contaminated, you might want to check with your insurer for possible coverage. Any deductible would certainly be less than $2500.
Old 12-20-2016, 09:09 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Where did you purchased your DEF from? Did dealer run DEF refractor test? If he did was it 32.5% did he test DEF fluid for fuel contamination using test strips? These are tests that I run when any DEF system is contaminated. DEF does have a shelf life and if stored in high temperatures over 90 degrees it will degrade really fast. Freezing does not hurt DEF fluid it will work just fine when it thaws. I have replaced DEF systems most of the time because customer had put diesel fuel in DEF tank by mistake.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:05 PM

My Truck has 11770 miles on it now, See Sig.

I have seen small yellow hard things on the inside of the funnel I use to put the DEF in. I use Blue DEF. Don't know what the dealer used to fill it up with when I purchased the truck.

I wiped the stuff out of the funnel neck before filling the tank the last time.

This don't sound good. Just had it at the dealer for the tranny reflash and the Touch Screen thing.

Dave
Old 01-18-2017, 07:47 PM

This is my second post on this subject;

I've been thinking about this for awhile.

I've owned RV's for a long time. The Refrigerators use Ammonia as a coolant.
I understand the DEF is also a Ammonia Based liquid.

When the cooling system on a RV Frig has a leak, it's easy to see. The leak is apparent due to the Yellow spot it leaves were the leak is occurring. In other words when exposed to air, the leak is visible by the color.

The funnel I use was full of yellow spots the last time I used it. I checked it again after the last gallon bottle installed some days later. It had the same spots as before.

So, its my opinion the yellow is either from exposure to air or exposure to the materials the pump and other parts in the tank system is made from.

Its probably all plastic in that tank and pump.

I'm going to send a email to Blue DEF and ask a couple question.

Don't know how RAM or Dodge can say it's not their problem since the emissions systems is required to use DEF and should, in my opinion be covered by the emissions warranty. The engine can't run without it and make emission standards as advertised.

Dave
Old 02-23-2017, 12:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mgr1001
Well the dealer replaced everything and the issue seems to be resolved.

I have an ongoing conversation with Chrysler's customer service. I suspect that they will attempt to deny the warranty claim. Time will tell. I'll keep posting until the issue is fully resolved...
Any update? Did you get your SCR recall notice in the mail? I got mine the other day. Sounds like you should be reimbursed if they didn't cover it under warranty.