3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

What is the trick to taking off the tailgate?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the trick to taking off the tailgate?

This past weekend I carried a LOT of rocks and some found its way inside my tailgate. I took off the top plate and was able to get the rocks out of the top piece, but there are some large rocks below the second layer (large enough it won't fit threw the drain hole. It seems the only way I can get those rocks out is to take off the tail gate and tip it upside down.

I got as far as removing the cable. On the bottom swivel point I noticed the right side had a grove so the tail gate would pull out of it. I tried yanking the tail gate several times but it would not budge. What is the trick?

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:02 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Some are tighter than others, but place the tailgate about half opened. Lift the notched end clear of the pivot and the theter end will slide off. It is kinds heavy so be ready. Make sure the little plastic pieces stay on the pivots.

Its harder to put back on than to get off, but again, no real big deal. Just slide the solid end in and drop the gate down with the slot aligned on the open end.

Not real sure on your newer truck but make sure you unhook the marker lights before removing the tailgate. There should be a simple connector tucked up near the top of the bumper, but you will have to crawl under to find it.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:04 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
It should just pull right out on the side that has the groove, unless you have some sort of anti-theft device on it. When you try and remove the tailgate, make sure there are two of you because it is heavy.
I installed an anti-theft device on mine. It is a worm drive clamp. I positioned the head as low as possible and then used an open end wrench to give it the final tightening.
Mine is also full of rocks and bit by bit they are coming out.
Old 09-25-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was planning to do it myself but i guess I will wait for some helping hands as my back has been complaining lately.

Thanks!