3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Well dang... there goes my truck

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well dang... there goes my truck

Last Thursday evening on the way home I got smacked on the freeway in my 03 QC DRW SLT Sport.
Not rear ended, though. The guy tried to dive for the carpool lane and started skidding. He glanced off the center concrete divider (Jersey Barrier), came and hit me about 15° off perpendicular in the rear driver door/cab corner/front of the bed. His car then spun and slapped my rear fender and rear tire, then he cut hard left and went head on into the center divider again. His car was not remotely drivable and mine drove home with daylight at the top of the rear door window and a significant left pull.
AZ rules are "Repair Cost + Salvage Value > Local Market Value = Total"
Initial repair estimate is coming in right at $10k and market value is ~$16K (retail). So, I'm hunting for comps to hopefully get the price up and get it repaired.

Old 09-13-2016, 09:19 PM

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts
That totaly sucks!

Maybe one day drivers licenses will only be handed out after a skills test...
Old 09-23-2016, 01:55 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

That is unfortunate. Terrible how other people wreck what you go going on and have worked hard for. Best of luck finding the right replacement truck. Hope it serves you as well as your other one did.

One last question, that motor cop single?
Old 09-23-2016, 10:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a friend here in AZ that bought a 2016 twin turbo explore, had it two months, and was rearended at a light shoving him into the car in front of him, The driver that rearended him was driving a borrowed car, neither the driver or the owner of the car that he borrowed had insurance..18k to fix it.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:45 PM

Well, got the call tonight... with ~$11,000 in damages, she's a goner.
Now the search begins for a replacement truck. Not getting new, and nothing newer than 07 due to 6.7 and DEF BS and its lower mpg.
Gotta negotiate a bit with insurance on payout. The comps they pulled were from MO and central TX, neither with the HO engine or the same options package. Also, didn't adequately take into account the market value here in central AZ.

Gonna have to really read up on later models to know what to look for...
The following users liked this post:
motrapper (09-23-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by 1320Fastback
That totaly sucks!

Maybe one day drivers licenses will only be handed out after a skills test...
They are here. A written and driving test is mandatory.
Of course,being California the test is issued in 30+ languages.
At age 70,driving and written tests which is great.
Old 09-24-2016, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
I have a friend here in AZ that bought a 2016 twin turbo explore, had it two months, and was rearended at a light shoving him into the car in front of him, The driver that rearended him was driving a borrowed car, neither the driver or the owner of the car that he borrowed had insurance..18k to fix it.
I got rear ended @ 45 mph. AAA insisted on fixing it. $13K and 3.5 months getting parts on our 6K old 2000 Trooper. We lost $6k on the spot and vehicle went to some Baja residents. It was never the same.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
I got rear ended @ 45 mph. AAA insisted on fixing it. $13K and 3.5 months getting parts on our 6K old 2000 Trooper. We lost $6k on the spot and vehicle went to some Baja residents. It was never the same.
How true, they are never the same after a wreck. Its a shame you work hard to keep something nice, then some nucklehead,scumbag comes along and destroys your property.
Old 09-24-2016, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by ftltmp
How true, they are never the same after a wreck. Its a shame you work hard to keep something nice, then some nucklehead,scumbag comes along and destroys your property.
The driver had broken ribs,a cane,no seatbelt on and two loose dogs in his car.
The CHP cop asked him if he'd been speeding(he was) and wearing a seatbelt(he wasn't) as he got a chest contusion from hitting the steering wheel.
We both got transported in the same ambulance. He apologized once and I never heard from him again. My neck's never been the same. The seat almost sheared the mounting bolts with the impact. The estimator at the body shop said he'd never seen that. AAA lowballed me on the cash award. Oh well. I survived.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did AAA allow you to do your own comps? I had that situation years ago when my daughter got hit by a "new driver" in our Volvo wagon. She wasn't hurt (thanks, Volvo). But, it was totaled. They gave me a number and I challenged it. I provided comps from Craigslist and Autotrader. 5.9 trucks should be getting a premium (for the reasons you stated). If it's not too late, I would protest and get my own comps. And, if they REALLY get nasty, that neck of yours could start hurting real bad.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by NJMurvin
Did AAA allow you to do your own comps? I had that situation years ago with Farmers Insurance when my daughter got hit in our Volvo wagon. She wasn't hurt (thanks, Volvo). But, it was totaled. They gave me a number and I challenged it. I provided comps from Craigslist and Autotrader. 5.9 trucks should be getting a premium (for the reasons you stated). If it's not too late, I would protest and get my own comps. And, if they REALLY get nasty, that neck of yours could start hurting real bad.
Must of been an anomaly,but AAA gave me much more than my 1998 Accord KBBd'after my wife totaled it.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Sorry for the loss of the truck, but in the big scheme of things lots of folks who have been in a wreck would gladly trade places with you.

Take the family out to a nice dinner to celebrate the blessing that all of you are alive and relatively well.
The following users liked this post:
organicfarmer (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
Sorry for the loss of the truck, but in the big scheme of things lots of folks who have been in a wreck would gladly trade places with you.

Take the family out to a nice dinner to celebrate the blessing that all of you are alive and relatively well.
All too true. I was checked and released at the scene (I have back issues and was already scheduled for an MRI of c-spine the following morning). My doc says that the damages found in my neck/back would not be results of the crash... oh well.
I am going through my insurance (State Farm) after speaking to his (UAIC) twice and already getting stonewalled. So far, SF has been very good. I'm just waiting on them to provide an updated loss value due to comps being way out of market, for non-HO 5.9 trucks, statting "average negotiated price" (is SF going to negotiate on my replacement vehicle?) and a couple other things. I also turned in receipts for all the trans internals, the Class V Curt Mfg hitch and some other items (like a 2 month old $200 fan clutch).
I've been looking for my own comps and can't find any comparable with clean titles. It's getting frustrating, but I'm upright and well as is the other guy.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:28 PM

Well, replaced the truck today... and I went 4th Gen. Got a 2011 4x4 Laramie quad cab dually with the 6.7L. Got it for a spit under $30K with just at 100K miles. It's an AZ truck, so no rust worries. I just have to take it in for a couple recalls... you know, normal Dodge stuff
Sure does ride nice, even compared to my 2003 4x2 QC dually. Gonna have to hop over to the 4th Gen forums now, but I'll lurk and help in here when I can. I gotta figure out how to dim the dang nav screen. That sicker blinds me in the night!
Old 10-04-2016, 04:45 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
That doesn't sound like too bad of a deal!

Glad you found something.

Quick Reply: Well dang... there goes my truck