3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Steering randomly locks up only when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering randomly locks up only when turning left

This problem has been happening for at least 5 years now. At first it would be once a year, then a few times a year, to once a month and now it can be fine for a week or do it 5 times in a day. I'll be driving down the road making normal everyday left-right-left-right micro adjustments and out of nowhere the steering will lock up when I turn to the left and I found the only way to unseize the steering wheel is to turn slightly to the right and correct back to left and everything is back to normal. It's something I've just gotten used to doing for years. I've experimented lately with it and if I try to force the steering wheel to the left it's not like I've lost power steering and it's just harder to turn the wheel it's almost like it's 99% locked. I can sort of turn it but it's very slow. Then I noticed if I had enough road to not correct to the right to fix it and just keep holding it to the left firmly all of a sudden the power steering just kicks in but because I don't expect it it jerks the truck quickly to the left. I've had to replace every steering linkage on my truck at least every other year along with axle u-joints so I don't think they are the problem. My brakes have always seemed to work ok, not great but will stop the truck no problems. I do plow a bit and sometimes when backing out of my driveway with the plow attached the power steering just can't quite handle the weight of the plow. This seems to only happen when I first start the truck up. I have noticed recently there is a little bit of power steering (I'm assuming) fluid leaking around the steering pump but that's only been within a few months and doesn't explain this 5 year confusing problem. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
What does the power steering fluid look like, is the pump making any noise, is there any play in the gear box? Plows will kill a front end just as quickly as a lift with big tires. To me, I would replace the power steering pump and the steering gearbox as well as flush the hydra-boost system. Years ago, mopar had a bad problem with the valving in the gearbox where the wheel would turn full left (If I remember right) all by itself and lock up the pump but I haven't heard of this happening in quite some time. But if you're having trouble with the plow on, the pump is getting weak and it sounds as if the gearbox could have some valving issues.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:57 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Time for a new steering gear box
Old 02-04-2017, 01:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
While my truck was still under warranty the steering would not center by itself and the dealer installed a new steering box. That box eventually started to leak badly, so installed a box from O'Reilly's. At that point I also installed a spin on oil filter kit. That box did not last very long before it also started to leak. Now have a Red Top steering box and so far zero problems and the steering is fine.