3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD

Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can only relay my experience and what others have told me. If they'll do it for free---go for it!!!!!
Sorry Jay, I wasn't taking it out on you... Just doesnt make sense to me that if the recall covers 03-08 trucks why people are paying out of pocket when they can get it done for free ninety free at the dealer... <how often does that happen??!!.. aahah
I understand most dealers are (CENSORED) and a lotta people like to work on their own stuff (believe me if i had the know how i'd do it all myself too..but... ) but at least get the parts from the dealer for FREE!! right??!...

I'm considering a solid axle to IFS swap.....
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats really madding is the guys that bought the earlier kits and they installed them and then the safety recall came out and the earlier kits had to be replaced with the newer kit(AE) and when the guys wanted to bring the old kit back for a refund the dealer wouldn't refund their money---they had to buy the new kit to replace the kit they bought previously. I'm hoping when the dealers get all the notifications about the original recall and the safety recall on the older kits, they will start to refund the money on the older style kits. IMO Dodge really dropped the ball on the way they have handled this problem early on.
Jay
Old 03-19-2009, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The problem is that the recall does NOT apply to every 2500/3500 03-08. It only applies to the 08-09 trucks that came with the upgraded suspension work from the FACTORY. If you took your older truck in to have the parts replaced with the new style setup (even if they did it under warranty like they did my early 08), you are still not technically falling under the recall. THOSE people are the ones that are having to buy the recall parts themselves. It is an error on Chryslers part, no doubt. They should have let the recall affect ALL of the upgraded steering parts that were defective, whether they came on the truck from the factory, were replaced under warranty in lieu of the old style setup, or were sold to an owner over the parts counter. It certainly isn't the owners fault, it is Chryslers.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had mine done at a trusted indy shop because the whole front end was shot - ball joints and all. I don't trust the dealers in my area to touch my truck. Not worth the hassle. Just a matter of perceived value. I don't care about warranties.

I do most of my own work, but sometimes I just don't feel like it or don't have time at the moment something needs done. If I don't do it myself, I take it somewhere I know the people and I know I'm getting what I'm paying for.

That's just me. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:36 PM

I hope my truck applies to this, because mine just broke pulling into a parking spot. Man I'm lucky. 2008 2500 quad cab. I was turning and all of a sudden I heard a big pop and now I have no steering.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 PM

I'd be interested in know what broke--
Thanks,
Jay
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 AM

The bolt that goes through the pitman arm to the tierod/draglink sheared in half turning on flat ground at about one full turn of the wheel. I drove my truck all day on the freeway taking different off ramps and on ramps. I consider myself lucky that it happened when it did. It is complete bull because I never received a recall notice.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 AM

I think there is a copy of the recall notice somewhere in this thread and as I remember it doesn't "offically" start till April. I guess your truck didn't know it was suppose to wait till then to break
Jay
P.S.--Glad no one was hurt!!!!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM

The recall is out, there is some parts availability.They normally stagger the notifications on recalls to ensure parts availablity.
For those that bought the upgraded steering parts early on the recall parts are low priced so if you are concerned buy and install them now for your safety,hang onto your receipts and if or when Dodge figures out the parts recall you will be reimbursed
Old 03-29-2009, 04:06 PM

With only 7k miles on it. I was about an inch from taking out that BMW in the background
Old 03-30-2009, 10:05 PM

I had the tow truck driver put my truck in front of the service bay at the dealership in hopes that they would fix it first in order to move it out of the way. I was right, they couldn't move any cars until my truck was fixed and I picked it up 4 hours after the service department was open. They even sent a guy to another dealership to pick up the parts.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 AM

took my 07 in for the DW under warranty, and they did the upgrade to the steering all under the factory warranty. It basicly got everything from the pitman arm(also pitman arm) all the way to the steering knuckle replaced, and they also replaced the steering dampner too, and this stuff is BIG compared to what was on there before IMO, and the truck does seem to drive a little bit different....in a good way. Mine just turned 21k miles.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:51 PM

I don't understand it but my dealer said this recall does not pertain to my truck. Time to call that Chrysler # just to be sure.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:16 PM

that doesn't make any sense, they did mine under warranty, and they won't do yours???? that is stupid IMO...
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, under warranty and a recall notice are two COMPLETELY different things. A recall affects EVERY vehicle under the recall notice, regardless of whether there is factory remaining warranty.

PRSKILLER--Your signature says you have a 2008. Do you happen to know the build date? Was the upgrading steering setup on your truck from the factory or did you have it installed under warranty? Or do you still have the older style setup? Your truck might not be affected by the warranty under multiple scenarios:

1) You have the old style setup which the recall doesn't pertain to.
2) You have a later build date that came with the new style setup from the factory but the AE parts were installed at the factory (the recall only applies to the earlier AA-AD parts; the AE parts are what the recall is replacing with).
3) You had the old style setup but got the upgraded setup installed under warranty and the AE kit was what was installed.
4) Your dealership is trying to pull some shenanigans.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD