3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well i guess no news is good news. i finally put mine on last weekend and all seems well. except now with tight linkage i can really tell my gear box is going south...
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got my “AE” steering linkage in. The “AE” is made in Mexico.

At first look you can see that AE has much larger U-bolts for the steering stabilizer bracket than the “AB” part number has. Actually the entire bracket is larger and has flanges on it to keep it from bending.

I haven’t had a chance to put it on or see if anything else is obviously different.

Any new updates on this recall? I see some discussion on TDR, but I don’t see that anyone has gotten a recall for the parts they purchased.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM

This post was copied from TDR this morning. It gives some information that we previously didn't have. H36 is the recall number Chy is using. There is a possiblity that there maybe 2 seperate recalls--one for the vehicles that were repaired under warranty and a seperate one for the parts that were puchased over the counter by walk in customers.

If the "AE" parts are made in Mexico then I think you could assume that they are not covered by the recall unless Powers and Sons(the manufacture of the recalled parts) is located in Mexico. I think they are located in the US.

"H36 is on DealerConnect tonight and just as I suspected the service parts are not included. There should (hopefully) be another separate recall that covers it. The production truck recall does say if a 13mm wrench fits the damper bracket it must be replaced. They must have changed the nut size when they figured it out so they can tell good parts from bad. Drag link joint needs to be replaced without inspection. Parts are CBD1H361 for the bracket package and CBFAH362 for the drag link joint package. Parts are currently in stock at several depots."
Old 02-09-2009, 06:21 PM

The "AE" damper bracket nuts for the U-bolts are 15 mm.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 AM
Ace
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yaaaaay - I got the good ones!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM

Checked online and didnt see that recall for my vin but I am effected by this one ""SAFETY RECALL H34 – DASH SILENCER PAD"".
Old 03-02-2009, 11:14 PM

i just bought the AE upgrade today and my dealer said the price went up from 3 weeks ago from 250 to 360....im sooooo ****** now..but i bought it anyways and they told me that i had to buy the stablizer upgrade as well...well i politly told them to pack sand on that one...i will be putting an after market one on instead.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 AM

FYI---The stablizer mounts differently on the new tie rod. You might keep that in mind when looking for something after market.
Jay
Old 03-03-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
carli has a direct bolt on single bilstein 7100 for ~$165...
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 PM

well i got my steering linkage put on and does make a huge differance on how the truck handles....the stablizer shock...i got a manroe shock from checkers for 35.00 and it fits just fine and works great for the pot hole world i live in here....most of them i can avoid...but it makes me look like im driving druck down the road.....lol
Old 03-08-2009, 01:15 PM

if you are updating to the new assy 52122362ae you must ck the pn on the pitman arm it stamp on it if is not 68039930aa you must replace it the new one has a diff angle 03 to 07
Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 AM

After reading all the different threads on this subject, i'm a little confused...

It sounds like some people are paying out of pocket to have this recall fixed... am i reading that wrong??...

also....

on the post above about the new pitman arm.... is that covered under the recall or will i have to pay to have that replaced too???

sorry for the confusion... i just wanna get my (CENSORED) steering fixed for the LAST TIME and be done with it....

Thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 12:27 PM

From what I know you are correct, some people are paying for this. It seems if your truck is out of warranty you have to pay for it. The pitnam arm replacement is suggested however I don't think it is a part of the recall. The new pitnam arm has a different angle. Also the new steering stablizer mounts differently on the tie rod so you need to purchase a new stablizer or modify your existing one. My truck was out of warranty so I purchased the new steering kit, pitnam arm and steering stablizer and installed them myself. It's about an hour job if you have a puller for the pitnam arm.(including a beer break). I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences and suggestions.
Jay
Old 03-19-2009, 01:53 PM

That just doesnt make ANY sense to me..... why are people PAYING to have RECALL work done regardless if they're truck is out of warranty or not?!!?

I just talked to my local dealership about the recall.... She asked for the last 8 of my VIN, and asked how many miles were on my truck (30k Miles) ...put me on hold for a few, came back and said when would you like to bring it in...?
My truck's out of warranty, but i'll be damned if i'm paying for something that was recalled...!!...
sorry for the rant.....
Old 03-19-2009, 02:32 PM

I can only relay my experience and what others have told me. If they'll do it for free---go for it!!!!!
Jay

Quick Reply: Recall: STEERING:LINKAGES:TIE ROD ASSEMBLY 2008-2009 Dodge Ram HD