3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

"Lamp Out" But No Lamp Out??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 08:13 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Lamp Out" But No Lamp Out??

Lately I have been getting the "Lamp Out" indicator on my dash but I cannot find a single bulb that is burned out on my truck. Brake lights work, turn signals work, headlights work, clearance lights work.....everything works.

Anyone had this experience? My truck is out of warranty so I don't want to have to take it to the dealership to get it fixed if I can avoid it.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Hoss,

The "lamp out" indicator works on low current draw such as would be experienced if a bulb filament in a lighting circuit were burned out. Therefore, anything that increases circuit resistance (which drops current flow) can trigger a "lamp out" indicator. If it were me, I'd start by cleaning all the bulb terminals and sockets with contact cleaner, WD-40, etc.

Rusty
Old 01-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hoss, that is the indicator for that little light bulb on top of your head. It indicates your brain has quit working.

HidingBob
Old 01-19-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally posted by FiverBob
It indicates your brain has quit working.
Hmmm....I never considered that possibility.....

Rusty
Old 01-19-2005, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoss
I had the same thing, the indicator on the dash Lamp out. What it was, I had a loose bulb connection on my driver side tail light. I actually stopped and got some new bulbs and replaced all of them since I was going to do one replacement. But everytime I would hit a bump the light would either go on or off. With the bulb loose in the socket it arced a few times and made a poor connection. I took some sand paper and smoothed it out, greased it up and replaced it. So far the fix worked out for me.

I had the indicition from Michigan to Virginia. I got tired of the chime it made every time it went off. I hope this helps out.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:17 AM

Its funny you mention that. I just had a bunch of chimmes but no lamp out warning light until the next day. It turns out one of my brake lights is out but its not the bulb. Its the bulb socket board that holds the three bulbs (Brake,back-up,signal). You should get TDR if you don't already there's an article on the problem you describe. From what John Holmes told me overtime the Brake light bulb fit become loose. You can try to bend the connectors a little to get a better fit or buy a new bulb socket board(pt#55077343-ac). I hope this helps.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Goodys1ton
Hoss
I had the same thing, the indicator on the dash Lamp out. What it was, I had a loose bulb connection on my driver side tail light. I actually stopped and got some new bulbs and replaced all of them since I was going to do one replacement. But everytime I would hit a bump the light would either go on or off. With the bulb loose in the socket it arced a few times and made a poor connection. I took some sand paper and smoothed it out, greased it up and replaced it. So far the fix worked out for me.

I had the indicition from Michigan to Virginia. I got tired of the chime it made every time it went off. I hope this helps out.
You pretty much just described what mine is doing. It seems that every time I hit a bump with those 70 psi tires it beeps and shows the lamp out....then a little while later it will go off....then it will be again and come back on.

I suspected that my driver's side turn signal was out because the first time the lamp came on my wife got out and checked it and the rear driver's turn signal wasn't working....but then later it started working again. Maybe the bulb is just loose.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:40 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Your concrete bedliner has flexed the truck so much wires are breaking.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:51 AM

Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
DMH

The few times that I have had bulbs not working in the sockets, I have check the bulbs and there would be nothing wrong with them, other then the little solder contacts on the base are worn out.

I then find a place to hold the bulb with the contacts pointing up, fire up the solder gun and add a little solder to each of the connections, and viola, the bulb works again just fine.

Try putting a little solder on the connections on the bottom of the bulb.

DMH
Old 01-19-2005, 01:48 PM

The part number I gave you was for the rear driver side socket bulb plate.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:05 PM

i hope you dont have my problem, there is a thread somewhere here about it........

I started seeing my "Lamp out" light come on for split seconds at a time. It had no ryme or reason. Sometimes it would come on when i hit the brakes, some times when cruising. Some times i would come on when i turned on my lights, some times when the lights were off

I checked all the bulbs, andd they all worked. I took it to the dealer, and they had a hard time reproducing the problem, as i said , it didn`t happen as the result of any specific action.

Right away, thier answer is "REFLASH".. they did the reflash......still had the problem.

Back to the dealer i went, this time they changed the ECM. They sent me home, and the next day i was back there. This time he asked to take the truck home with him, to see how it acted at cold start.

Long story short. 3 trips to the dealer and they figured out there was a hairline crack in the rear light assembly. they changed them both and it has been fine for almost a year.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an older Mercedes-Benz which constantly gave false lamp-out indications. It took me a while to figure it out, but all the sensor does is compare current between the left headlight and right headlight for example. That's why the third brake light has two bulbs and removing both of them did not trip the indicator. What finally cured it was to match each bulb to its mate right down to brand and vintage. This way they would draw the same current and not trip the indicator. I don't know if Dodge has the same arrangement, but they're both from DC!
Old 01-19-2005, 11:49 PM

mine has had the taillight assembly replaced for the lamp out light comming on
Old 01-20-2005, 03:14 PM

From reading this it sounds like the tail light assembly probably needs to be replaced. I guess thats the part number that cjones42 posted.

Thanks for the help. It doesn't seem to be getting any better so I guess I'll order the new part (or maybe try changing all the bulbs first since that's cheaper).

Quick Reply: "Lamp Out" But No Lamp Out??