3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinceg99
Over 300k on mine no problems with my recir door but I wish I did instead of having the problem I DO have, my Blend door is messed up
Is the BLEND DOOR a common problem like the recirc door?
Are they prone to breaking off like the recirc door??

Old 11-24-2007, 09:51 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Where do we go now?

I did have an issue with the mode door in my first '03. It did require replacement of the whole heater box. It was one of the first '03s around and I'm sure it was fixed during that model year as I don't see much call for it at work these days.

BTW is there any other minor/major problems I need to address? The camera is empty and it'll be in the 60's here for the next few weeks. Anything short of a rebuild or clutch job should be okay.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by pet05
Is the BLEND DOOR a common problem like the recirc door?
Are they prone to breaking off like the recirc door??

Well seems like I have read about it enough but not nearly as much as the recirc door. There was a good write up on how to do it yourself here http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...-pictures.html but not something I am going to tackle myself I dont think.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 AM

Location: NORTHWEST VERMONT WHERE THE MEN ARE MEN AND THE SHEEP RUN SCARED.
Ratlratl you get a standing ovation for that one!Not many guys would have gone to the trouble of taking their truck apart just to show someone a "how to".
Old 11-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Great writeup. Although I'm not sure if mine is the same issue but I'm sure related. Over the weekend I found that there is no difference between recirc and outside air. in fact it is stuck doing outside air only. Goes into the Dealer Monday. The whole removing the dash thing scares me and it's 34 deg outside.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by B.Law
I am having a problem with my HVAC as well. Seems to be the blend door though, the recirc. works fine.

As she sits now, only the main vents (the ones that face you) work. Defrost, floor, or anything in between doesn't work. Well, a little bit of air comes out of them when air is flowing out of the mains. As mentioned before, the recirc. function seems to work fine. The other crazy thing is sometimes the air will stop flowing altogether with the blower motor still running. When this happens the blower motor gets loud, it happens frequently, and is remedied by turning it off for a few minutes, then back on.

So will the aforementioned part fix my problem as well?
Originally Posted by HOV
That sounds like a halfway busted recirc door to me.
there is a very easy step you can do to see if your recirc door is ok or not.

just remove the glove box -- that exposes enough of the recirc door so that you can validate its operation. shine a light in there while moving the heater control. You'll see the door open and close if all is well. As pointed out earlier, the resting position is open/recirc.

I have the "air comes out of the dash vents only" problem, and my recirc door is just fine. looks like I"m in for the big one
Old 02-18-2008, 07:31 PM

I want to thank you for the excellent write up I did this today. took about 2 hrs but I ran back and forth to computer.If I did this again probably would take an hour. Thanks again for your help. Mike
Old 02-18-2008, 09:10 PM

I dropped fan, reached up into hole and jerked mine out. Reinstalled fan & have the coldest AC I have ever had. Also my heat, defrost and all other functions work. I have driven the truck in 15 degree temps and heat is fine. I don't know if it would work subzero but I don't plan on going to yankeeland anytime soon. Plus I didn't have to detune my truck and give the dealer a fourth chance to "fix" the problem and bugger up my dash anymore than they already have.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great write-up!!!

I did it this morning. Took about 2.5 hrs taking my time making sure everything was tight (don't want rattles). The instructions were clear and precise. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks to Ratl Ratl and DTR!!! Dealer wanted 350$ to do it but the part was only 28$.

I LOVE DTR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ratlratl

MikeyB- yes it works on both. It comes as a housing plus the door($20) plus a new actuator ($48) all for $15. No that's not an admission is it? Been lucky with mine so far. Only had to reset the actuator by pulling the IOD fuse for about 5 mins.
What is the IOD fuse and will it reset all the actuators in the HVAC system?

Thanks
Old 02-24-2008, 07:03 PM

Has anyone did the Blend door job yet ?

I had what I think is the blend door stop working last week, the word is it,s a nasty repair !

I get heat out the defrost vents but not much on the floor when it is set to the floor mode (03 Ram)

Anyone have some good advise please!!!!

Thanks
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IOD is Ignition Off Draw. Anything that requires some memory or constant power, be it low voltage, runs through this circuit. It will be in the underhood fuse box, and should have a plastic piece around it that makes it easy to pull up and then push back in. Pull it up and let it sit for about five minutes. The next time the A/C head powers up it should go through a recalibration sequence. If the doors aren't stripped on their shafts, then they should re-learn their range. See if that works. If not then then something will need to be replaced.

Chris
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TNLoneWolf
RatlRatl.....YOU ARE THE MAN!! THAT WAS GREAT!! Very well written and very informative. People like you are what make this site the "BEST". Thanks so much and Thanks to DTR and the men that keep it running so well.
What he said ..... X2! Excellent!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:23 AM

ratlratl
I get heat out the defrost vents but not much on the floor when it is set to the floor mode (03 Ram) would this be the blend door or somthing else?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Thanks there Ratlratl, i'll take care of it when it gets a little warmer.

For now i took the door out from on top of the motor and have duct tape over the inside grill so i have heat.

Quick Reply: The Infamous HVAC Door Issue Strikes