3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fuse issue with Power Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuse issue with Power Mirrors

I hope someone may have an easy fix. I went to adjust the mirrors on my 2005 Dodge Diesel and I had no juice. Everything else in the truck appeared to be working, so I located the #48 fuse and sure enough, it had blown. I replaced it and the mirrors worked again with the key switch on. However, as soon as I fired up the engine, the new fuse blew. I'm assuming I have a ground wire that is disconnected or not grounding. All of the lights, radio, heater, power locks, windows, etc., work fine. I have no idea where to start to look for a ground wire disconnection for the power mirrors or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks for your ideas.

Larry
Benicia, California
Old 08-12-2008, 02:16 PM

I had the same issue. Did you by chance use your parking brake? The problem that you are having is a direct short of your power wire to ground. Not a ground wire issue. Wrong tree.

The most likely problem is in the routing of the wiring harness. The power mirror circuit comes off the fuse block and down and thru the fire wall, then up right next to the parking brake assembly. On mine the wiring harness had been rubbed by the actuation of the foot lever resulting in the harness getting rubbed raw (don't you just hate that?) by the lever. Lay on your back with a flashlight and look up atht ewiring as it is very near the foot actuator. It then goes back thru the side of the wall out to the door.

Most wiring issues that I have delt with are related to aftermarket stuff being installed and bumping the OEM harness or just flat out installed incorrectly. Could have been bumped when you installed a brake controller as the connection is right next to the mirror harness.

Good luck and let me know, I spent way to much time on this exact same issue till I found the problem.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:18 PM

Do you by chance have heated seats? On the laramie it is powered by the same fuse.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:43 PM

Thank you jballou for the response. No heated seats or aftermarket parts that would interfere with the wiring harness. I will get under there and check out the wiring near the parking brake and let you know what I find. I'm assuming my factory warranty would not take care of this with 45k on an 05 truck. I sent a private message with more detail.

Thanks,

Larry
Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Well thanks to JBallou, I solved my problem. For some reason the manufacturer positions the wiring harness near the parking brake in that it chaffs and rubs off the conduit, exposing the wires. When the parking brake is released or activated the metal arm touches the exposed wire, which blew my power mirror fuse.

Thanks again JBallou. What a great forum/resource to take care of issues with our trucks.

Larry from Benicia, CA.
Old 08-16-2008, 03:05 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jballou
I had the same issue. Did you by chance use your parking brake? The problem that you are having is a direct short of your power wire to ground. Not a ground wire issue. Wrong tree.

The most likely problem is in the routing of the wiring harness. The power mirror circuit comes off the fuse block and down and thru the fire wall, then up right next to the parking brake assembly. On mine the wiring harness had been rubbed by the actuation of the foot lever resulting in the harness getting rubbed raw (don't you just hate that?) by the lever. Lay on your back with a flashlight and look up atht ewiring as it is very near the foot actuator. It then goes back thru the side of the wall out to the door.

Most wiring issues that I have delt with are related to aftermarket stuff being installed and bumping the OEM harness or just flat out installed incorrectly. Could have been bumped when you installed a brake controller as the connection is right next to the mirror harness.

Good luck and let me know, I spent way to much time on this exact same issue till I found the problem.

OK here's a spin off to the thread now that the original problem was found and repaired

The 08 5500 Bullet came with no power mirrors, power tow mirrors are available on E-bay.. It is my understanding that there is only one wiring harness that goes on all 4500/5500 Dodge-Bullet therefore the majority of the wiring is in place..I'm assuming the armrest with controls are in order or can I just add a second gen switch to the pillar to control the mirrors..