3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

fuel quality and trash

Old 04-06-2004, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel quality and trash

I had been buying premium diesel at an ETNA station. My understanding is that off brand gas stations buy name brand fuel but it may vary from company to company-have no idea if that is true.
Anyway, I thought the fuel was good. I have a fram tractor and buy fuel for it in a five gallon yellow plastic jug. The other day when I was pouring it into the tractor, I looked down in the jug and it had a lot of trash on the bottom and thick stuff like slugs.
I'll be getting fuel from other places with the jug and looking in there too.
The ETNA statin has a fuel filter between the nozzel and the pump, but tht was some nasty looking stuff.
The fuel was maybe two weeks no more than three weeks old.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:49 PM

There is a no-name fuel station by my house also. Since I'm still waiting for my truck, I asked the owner how much diesel they sell. He said about 3000 gallons a day. They have contracts with some local sanitation companies, so thats the bulk of the fuel sold. At that rate, the fuel must be fresh. I think that is the most important factor with diesel.

Would any of you guys hesitate to buy diesel from a no-namer that moves that much fuel. My other option is a local Hess dealer. Dont know about their volume though.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: fuel quality and trash

Originally posted by fanofthewolf
I had been buying premium diesel at an ETNA station. My understanding is that off brand gas stations buy name brand fuel but it may vary from company to company-have no idea if that is true.
Anyway, I thought the fuel was good. I have a fram tractor and buy fuel for it in a five gallon yellow plastic jug. The other day when I was pouring it into the tractor, I looked down in the jug and it had a lot of trash on the bottom and thick stuff like slugs.
I'll be getting fuel from other places with the jug and looking in there too.
The ETNA statin has a fuel filter between the nozzel and the pump, but tht was some nasty looking stuff.
The fuel was maybe two weeks no more than three weeks old.
Algae could grow in 2-3 weeks.
Especially if your jug doesn't seal well.
I hope it is rated for Diesel Fuel.

Little bit of water in Diesel gives the "bugs" something to drink so they can grow to be big and strong.

Not sure on the "trash", unless it was already in the jug.
Perhaps the filter at the ETNA is just there for looks, but the fuel passes right through it.
If you filled the jug shortly after the tanker left, it would have stirred up all the sediment on the bottom of the tank, but it still would have to pass through that "filter"

Anywase, let the station know that they might have a problem with their Diesel tanks.
If no one tells them, then they can plead ignorance.

phox
Old 04-07-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally posted by JohnnyH
There is a no-name fuel station by my house also. Since I'm still waiting for my truck, I asked the owner how much diesel they sell. He said about 3000 gallons a day. They have contracts with some local sanitation companies, so thats the bulk of the fuel sold. At that rate, the fuel must be fresh. I think that is the most important factor with diesel.

Would any of you guys hesitate to buy diesel from a no-namer that moves that much fuel. My other option is a local Hess dealer. Dont know about their volume though.
Johnny,
Most if not all Hess stations on the Island do a pretty brisk business in diesel. In most cases they are the only stations here that sell it on a local basis.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:11 PM

The container came from walmart, they have a blue for water, red for gas and yellow for diesel. I think it actually said diesel on it or on the tag.
I was unaware of the algae. The jug was clean, I'll check it again and let them know. Thanks for the comments.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:50 PM

i buy ALL of my fuel from the local HESS, on this here Island

LONG ISLANDERS TAKIN OVER THE THREAD