3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Every One Read This!!! "front Wheel Bearings!!! Unit Bearing!!!!"

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Every One Read This!!! "front Wheel Bearings!!! Unit Bearing!!!!"

I found this on another site and feel it is very important!! and will cut and paste it. There is a lot of information to go over, but can save you a ton in $$$ and stress. I hope "borrowing" this information from another site does not offend any of the DTR members or sites where this information was found.

Anybody with a "Unit Bearing" style front wheel bearings (FORD and DODGE!!!) MUST be informed! HOW TO SAVE MONEY & EASY UNIT BEARING REMOVAL TRICKS

the links at the end should take you to the pages directly.

This is copied from http://www.cumminsforum.com

The prices on the 2003-up front hub/bearing assemblies are outrageous. The best price from DC that I can find is from allchryslerparts.com - $251 each plus shipping. Quad 4x4 gave me a quote for $342.95 each. Some dealers are charging up to $450 each.

Realizing that Dodge is really just an assembler and all their parts are sourced from elsewhere, I went on a search for the company that supplies the hub/bearing assemblies. I eventually found them - SKF Industries. These guys are the OEM supplier to Dodge, and they're based out of Sweden. They recently bought Chicago Rawhide.

It turns out that SKF won an award for the bearing design on our trucks. An Automotive News PACE award, to be precise. I *think* it's called an "X-Tracker Asymmetric Hub Bearing Unit" (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Here's what the judges at Automotive News had to say about these bearings:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive News
"SKF's X-Tracker is the most significant innovation in the global hub bearing market since the integration of ABS sensors in the 1990s. It consists of an asymmetrical two-row wheel hub bearing arrangement with the outboard bearing race a significantly larger diameter that carries more rolling elements than the inboard row. This uniquely innovative architecture increases the camber stiffness of the hub unit by as much as 70 percent, adds significant load-carrying capacity and extends service life. This is accomplished without need to change any of the surrounding components and without increased cost."
Pretty impressive, no? I know, get to the point. Back to the good stuff.

So SKF is just a bearing manufacturer. As such, anyone who has an account with them can buy anything from their product line. A quick search on their website came up with part number BR930502. With that in hand, I did a Google search on "SKF dealers" and came up with a lot of hits. I submitted quotation requests to about half-a-dozen of them. Of those, only 3 or 4 were able to locate the part number. Of those, the two lowest cost dealers were Dalton Bearing, Inc. and E.B. Atmus. I ended up going with E.B. Atmus, who had great customer service. The price? $168.74 plus shipping. I ordered up 2 of them which came drop-shipped from SKF's warehouse in Hebron, KY. Shipping cost me $10.

So for a grand total of $347.48 I have 2 brand new OEM front hub/bearing assemblies.

Below are a couple pictures of the bearings, which arrived today. They are even made in the US! They come pre-packed with grease, and the ABS sensors are included and installed. I'm very excited about finding this deal. Isn't the free market grand?

The SKF bearing number for the unit bearing is: BR930502. You might be able to cross reference this from another bearing supplier.

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...tml#post447198

Great photos on how to remove unit bearing
http://www.solidaxle.com/PDF/Dodge_S...Directions.pdf
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...tml#post694286

There is mention of using your "Power Steering" and an extension and socket to easily remove the unit bearing, but I have been unable to refind that post!

I really hope this information helps everyone! at least a little bit! I wish I had found this sooner! I am probably going to go to one of those hub conversion kits if this happens again! (3rd time!)

Lets thank the originators of the posts I "borrowed" for their efforts.

Just the messenger,

Rob
Old 12-06-2008, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the info Rob!!
Old 12-06-2008, 11:56 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by rob160
There is mention of using your "Power Steering" and an extension and socket to easily remove the unit bearing, but I have been unable to refind that post!

There was this nice write up here.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=217250
Old 12-07-2008, 12:02 AM

Thanks "Jeff in TD" that shows it better than the one i first saw. any ideas on how to "save the page" to a folder on the computer? for future reference? i keep getting a "showthread.php.htm" but it doesn't when i revisit it.

R
Old 12-07-2008, 12:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have no idea how to save the page, but I do have it bookmarked...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:51 AM

Great info.
Kudos for all your work!
Old 12-07-2008, 11:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

rob160: Thanks for the post. I save a lot of posts that I think I will want to look at later (including some by Jeff in TD:) by cutting and pasting the entire post with pics and all into word and saving it as a word document. You can also click on file (in internet explorer) and select "save as" than select save as type "webpage complete". You can than view the file offline using IE.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:17 AM

I've started doing the cut and paste as well... maybe we could talk to the admins about making a section for good information/techniques, etc. and putting these in a seperate section as stickies... Of course, just an idea..
Old 12-08-2008, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree a bookmark feature for the forum would be awesome!
Somewhere we could save stuff like this, sometimes I spend hours trying to find posts I read a year or two ago.
Thanks Rob160 good stuff right there.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:45 PM

Thanks for sharing that with us...Info like this is what makes these forums priceless
Old 12-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Great info. Thanks!!
Old 08-16-2016, 10:01 AM

I realize this is quite an old post. But does the 2002 2500 use these same bearings?
Old 08-16-2016, 01:01 PM

Old thread I know, but are these bearings the same as the ones of my 02 2500?
Old 08-17-2016, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Freelove33
Old thread I know, but are these bearings the same as the ones of my 02 2500?
Nope, but ours aren't that expensive relatively speaking.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:39 PM

Is there a quality aftermarket wheel bearing for the 2nd gens or should I stay OEM?

Quick Reply: Every One Read This!!! "front Wheel Bearings!!! Unit Bearing!!!!"