3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Broken wires to rear door locks

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken wires to rear door locks

I have a 03 ctd, my rear left door lock quit working.I startrted tearing out the wiring harness and found six broken wires in between the two doors. I called the dealer for a new harness and they want 214.00 dollars. What a rip off!!! for a harness that will probably fail again! What kind of wire can I use to replace the stock stuff that will last longer?
Old 12-27-2010, 05:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty small wire in there. I think if mine break again, I'm just going to put bigger wire in. I don't know what type of wire would be best. I was just going to use the standard automotive wire, just in a bigger size than the factory stuff. Also, might help to make them a couple inches longer so there's a little more give in the harness too.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah, it's a common problem.

Just solder or crimp some heavier wire in there. I think it's around a 14 or 16 gauge that is in there now.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Mark,

I think its actually something like 18 gauge. Useless cost saving JUNK.

Had the rear doors on my 01 go bad, and the drivers rear on the 05 went bad last summer, now the right side has gone out too. Have to get it into the shop at some point, and redo them.

One would think, that with all the electronic controls on the newer vehicles, wiring would be the last place to cut corners... But then there's the big 3. And don't get me wrong, its all of them. Look at GM lighting systems, or Ford steering columns, or perhaps be the bearer of bad news, when you tell a VW owner that the best way to solve his electrical problems, is to install a solar panel. ( that, is an actual recommendation, from a frustrated VW tech )

Great stuff in all.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Pind,
No worries, I was trying to remember. I have not looked at those wires lately, so I am a little fuzzy.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Door locks

My back doors quit working to. Where did you find the bad spot in the wires. I have been waiting for warmer weather to open up the panels and start tracing wires to find the bad spot.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by BigDee
My back doors quit working to. Where did you find the bad spot in the wires. I have been waiting for warmer weather to open up the panels and start tracing wires to find the bad spot.
I've not had the problem myself, but reading these posts would lead me to believe the breakage occurs in the wiring that is inside the black boot that is between the door and the truck.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:58 PM

Just open the door, disconnect the harness, pull boots out, push boot tight to door jam find broken wires grab some wire and wire crimps (helps to have someone hold the boot back) crimp them, throw some electric tape around em for good measure and put everything back to how it was. FIXED! Easy as pie. Did mine in about 15 mins 6 months ago no issues since. Terrible design like many things. About as good design as the old weather strip.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:21 PM

I agree with the fix. Not sure that it is the grade of wire as much as they are a little short.

Shoved the boot back. strip 1/2" or so, added 3 or 4 inches of wire, I think I used 12 or 14, not sure what I had handy, twist together on each end, add electrical tape, that we 2 years ago.

With such a tight working condition I think it would be harder to get a good crimp, not to mention that it is only 12 volt so not much needed.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by BigDee

That's what I found last summer... Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 PM

on the next year models, they will lengthen the wires slightly, but then make the harness out of one color of wire!!!hahahaha..
Maybe they should wire this disaster into the crappy HVAC system!!!..
Old 03-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah just like a Freightliner, all yellow wiring.

My drivers side rear door must have a broken wire, every time I open it the cab light does not come on, been doing that since 07. guess I should pullit apart and fix it.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Funny thing, from the pic that shouldbfishin posted.

Every one I have taken apart so far, its the SAME wires that are broken. same ones that are in his picture. And that light green one always has a pressure kink in it.

Perhaps I should be more thorough, and just change those wires completely between the connectors.

Neat.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:19 PM

What color of wire is the left rear dome light wire?
Thanks
Old 03-12-2013, 07:46 PM

Resurrecting this thread! I've had the same problem for a couple of years. Every Ram owner I know has the same problem. I just ignored it until yesterday when I started looking on here for a fix. Should've looked earlier!! Because this is what I found when I pulled that boot back:

Every single wire, except the two hefty ones, was sheered off. I know what I'll be doing this weekend..... It WILL be nice to have everything in the back working again!!
Attached Thumbnails Broken wires to rear door locks-dodge-wiring-boot.jpg  

Quick Reply: Broken wires to rear door locks