3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Air out the dash vents only

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air out the dash vents only

Have a 2003 Ram 2500 diesel, automatic, 2WD. Just got the truck this past summer and didn't notice that it didn't matter where the select **** was for air, it only comes out the vents at face level. Thought it might be a vacuum problem like my 96 Ram had. Went through the vacuum system and now the cruise works, so there was a leak in it. I can select A/C or heat and get the temp I want, just can't get the air to come out where I want it. Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Welcome to the DTR. Do an advanced Search for "vents" for '3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - all years', and you will find all the information you need. It is a common issue. I'll give you a couple to start with.

Broken Mode door

HVAC removed and understood!

This one is a link for explanation of each door, and sells replacements most have found to be superior to factory. Heater Treater

Also check Youtube.

Good Luck, back to morning brew . . .
Old 02-19-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW! Thank you for the welcome to the website and for all the info. After looking through the internet and the Ram Chiltons manual, it's refreshing to actually see what I'm troubleshooting. That manual is useless! Those pics of the HVAC are fantastic. Guess I'll be contacting HeaterTreater for a mode one door. Good thing I live in Arizona. I can take my time and fix this right. Thanks again. P.S. Sad that, with an engineering issue like this, Dodge couldn't have corrected. How many years have they used this HVAC system?
Old 02-19-2017, 05:32 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by djmcafee
WOW! Thank you for the welcome to the website and for all the info. After looking through the internet and the Ram Chiltons manual, it's refreshing to actually see what I'm troubleshooting. That manual is useless! Those pics of the HVAC are fantastic. Guess I'll be contacting HeaterTreater for a mode one door. Good thing I live in Arizona. I can take my time and fix this right. Thanks again. P.S. Sad that, with an engineering issue like this, Dodge couldn't have corrected. How many years have they used this HVAC system?
i learned many years ago that chilton and haynes manuals are not as good as the sunday funnies!
Old 02-21-2017, 09:42 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think there was an updated part number for the upper and lower HVAC housing, and for the couplers, so later 3rd gens are supposed to be better.

I've never done the heater treater thing, but if you decide to remove the dash and replace the HVAC case, door and couplers it really isn't that complicated. It is time consuming to remove all the trim and what not if you are being careful not to mar things.

A local AC shop charged me a pretty reasonable fee to evacuate the system and unhook and plug the connectors, and when I was done I think I had them replace the orifice and dryer on general principal, vacuum the system well, and recharge.