3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not a problem at all...should get truck back from dealer today...i am pretty sure i have the cleanout plug...will check it out.

does anyone know what the cleaning solution costs per can and the specialized nozzle/attachment?
Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Google #10142 Turbocharger Cleaning Kit

Seen one on eBay for 165 bucks used.

New is like 360ish
Old 11-19-2010, 08:50 AM

That sure is a lot of money for a hose and some chemical.

ben
Old 02-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Eventually the turbo nozzle will need to be cleaned. I have seen a few BlackTec trucks and after about 100,000 miles the nozzle ring starts to get sticky and bind. Some require removal and disassembly to correct.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Eventually the turbo nozzle will need to be cleaned. I have seen a few BlackTec trucks and after about 100,000 miles the nozzle ring starts to get sticky and bind. Some require removal and disassembly to correct.
You mean the sliding nozzle that does the VG function and EB? I run the EB all the time to keep this moving and clean as possible...
Old 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Had to clean out my dad's 2008 - the tech mentioned a screwdriver to clean it out at the dealer. They also suggested using the exhaust brake often to keep it clean.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mega-engr
You mean the sliding nozzle that does the VG function and EB? I run the EB all the time to keep this moving and clean as possible...
I do as well as did a good friend/DTR member here. The nozzle is a wear item as it slides and eventually it will start to bind, not from soot either. This cleaning procedure deals more with soot buildup around the nozzle sliding surfaces. As the clearances open up on the nozzle ring it may start to get "sticky" and cause performance issues. No panic intended.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone does the cleaning procedure without the StarScan? Does it really do a decent job considering the turbo vanes aren't moving as they do with the StarScan?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Has anyone does the cleaning procedure without the StarScan? Does it really do a decent job considering the turbo vanes aren't moving as they do with the StarScan?
Thats the thing i have wondered about also.... I think the biggest reason the starscan MUST be used, is to get the vanes moving around while cleaning the turbo. Im deleted so i dont think the starscan would do much for me but cause troubles... Maybe if we were turning the EB on and off while spraying the solution ??
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshauling
Thats the thing i have wondered about also.... I think the biggest reason the starscan MUST be used, is to get the vanes moving around while cleaning the turbo. Im deleted so i dont think the starscan would do much for me but cause troubles... Maybe if we were turning the EB on and off while spraying the solution ??
even deleted we can still manually operate the turbo slide with starscan and not cause problems. problems come into play when a reflash is performed and the customer does not remove (smarty or h&s) program back to stock before we flash. then they are like... oh ya i had it programmed and forgot to return to stock.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:07 PM

Can these turbos be taken apart and cleaned manually, if so can someone post how.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2011, 05:37 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i have not seen the procedure to do that but will look again and post if there is such.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:30 PM

May be a dumb question on my part but, is the soot and the need to clean the turbo caused by the ccv system dumping vapors from the engine (bypass from the rings) into the intake (suction) side of the turbo?
Old 03-13-2011, 11:49 PM

NO, the soot is dumped into the engine from the egr . The CCV is just a filter under the valvecover cover,,,it needs to be changed out at @ 67500 or when the code tells otherwise. The tube that goes to the turbo from the CCV is just there to catch any oil from the CCV and pass it through the exhaust( EPA CRAP) The small amount of oil does get on the turbo vanes but thats not the problem or the reason that the turbo needs cleaned. The soot that is being rerouted through the engine and out the turbo is sooting the turbo vanes up and causes it not to slide or work correctly. Thats why we should run our EB all the time, it keeps the vanes sliding and opening instead of sooting up as fast.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM

OK, thanks mikeshauling so the so the sooted up portion is on the exhaust (drive) side of the turbo. That makes more sense to me now. I had misunderstod and thought the cleaning was done on the compressor side.
Still, wouldn't it be better to vent the ccv to atmosphere instead of running the vapors and slight amount of oil into the turbo intake and through the engine again?

Quick Reply: 6.7 VGT: Cleaning Soot from Turbo